Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Review: Giovanni D:tox System Purifying & Exfoliating Facial Cleansing Towelettes

A month or so ago, I spotted the Giovanni D:tox System towelettes at Target and, much to my surprise, there were mini packets of 10 towelettes for under three bucks. Since I'm a longtime fan of Giovanni (I love their Direct Leave-In Conditioner), I thought I'd pick these up since I'm sucker for anything that contains volcanic ash:

 Giovanni D:tox System Purifying & Exfoliating Facial Cleansing Towelettes
(retail: $2.49 at Target, 10 towelettes per package)

My full review, after the jump...


Right off the bat, these towelettes have a lot going for them. They contain some nice ingredients, they're 100% vegetarian, the don't contain any sulfates, dyes, parabens, phthalates or artificial fragrance and they're also made with biodegradable cloth right here in the USA.


The size of the towelettes is nice and generous (6 inches by 7.75 inches) and even though it's hard to convey this in a photo, the cloth itself is VERY soft. It feels almost like silk against the skin:


However, I'm afraid that this is where my love affair with these towelettes ends. First, let's talk about the moisture content:

 

There is a lot of moisture in these clothes. Squeezing them in your hand (like I've illustrated above) will leave lots of product on your fingers. And even though the moisture looks airy and bubbly, I'm afraid it actually feels more like a paste when you rub it between your fingers. It's thick and sticky once it comes in contact with the air, and it causes the towelette to slosh around on my face. It's difficult for a towelette to actually absorb anything when it's this wet and coated in such a thick paste-like substance, and I'm afraid it actually ends up depositing product onto my face when I want it to lift and remove the product that is already there.

Another thing that I found odd was this:


It's hard to convey this in a photo, but once these towelettes dry, they become stiff and "crunchy". I thought about how I could convey the crunchiness of the dried towelette in a photo, and this was the best I could do:


Since Maybelline Color Tattoos are pretty heavy (the container is made of glass), I thought I could show you what it looks like when I put a Color Tattoo on top of a dried Giovanni towelette (left) and a regular, dry paper towel (right). See how the Color Tattoo sits so high up on the towelette? Well you know how thin towelettes are, and normally a thick glass container would flatten a towelette out like a pancake. So hopefully this illustrates how stiff this cloth has become after sitting out all night on my desk. 

I honestly can't think of another towelette I've used over the years that dries and becomes crunchy. I'm not sure what's causing this to happen, but I thought it was worth noting because I just find it...odd. If the ingredients do this to a cloth, it makes me want to wash the remnants of these towelettes off my face before they start to dry. But the packaging states that there's "no need to rinse" so, for the purposes of this review, I did not rinse while testing this product (more on that in a bit).

In regard to how well these towelettes remove makeup (which is pretty much what you want to know at this point, right?), I'd say they're average to fair. On light makeup days, I could get away with using one cloth to remove my makeup, but on heavier makeup days, especially when I was wearing black liquid liner, I needed two. However, I noticed that in the morning, I could still see traces of my mascara and liner under my eyes, even after using two cloths.

After makeup removal, I find that these towelettes leave a sticky residue behind. My face feels quite sticky until it's dry (which takes a while due to the high moisture content of these cloths). After my face has dried, my skin is quite soft to the touch, and the stickiness does go away. But here's the thing: I tested these when it was very hot, and I noticed that if I misted plain water on my face (which I'm prone to do when it's hot), my face felt wet and sticky. In other words, the water reactivated the residue of these towelettes and it created a thick, sticky film on the face.

Sadly, I wasn't able to test this product for my normal amount of time (I test skincare for a minimum of four weeks and sometimes 8-12 weeks before I write a review), because after ten cloths, I was done. I had no desire to purchase a full size package and continue testing this product. Since I only used ten cloths, I can't tell you if there are any skin benefits to this product as I didn't notice anything (negative or positive) after using ten cloths.

The fragrance of these towelettes is pleasant and herbal (I definitely detect lavender, and maybe a bit of chamomile). 

FINAL VERDICT: I'm having a hard time thinking of who I could recommend these to, but maybe if you don't mind rinsing your face after you use towelettes and you only wear a very minimal amount of makeup, these might work for you. But keep in mind that you would also have to be willing to work with a heavily-saturated cloth that leaves a sticky, paste-like residue behind. As for the rest of us, I just cannot recommend this product. The pasty film, the inferior makeup-removing properties and the odd next-day crunchiness are deal-breakers for me. I'm really sad about this one because, like I said, I love Giovanni products, but this one's a bust.

Are you a Giovanni fan? If so, what are some of your favorite Giovanni products? Have you tried these towelettes? I would love to hear about your experience (hopefully it was far better than mine).
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I love how you always try to think of who a product might actually work for, even when you clearly dislike a product. I will not be trying these. I am excited because I finally got my paws on the epielle ones you rave about and I'm so excited to use them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's back to the Epielle wipes huh? I love those too =]....and I thought it was really funny how to tried to demonstrate the crunchiness haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the ingredient list on these a few weeks back at my local Target, I wanted to try them, too, but instead went with the Ponds Luminous Clean Exfoliating Towelettes... which I LOVE! My skin feels clean and soft, they don't make me break out, my skin actually does look brighter after a month of use, and my pores look a bit more refined. (I have oily, acne-prone skin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. most makeup artists say it's completely crazy not to rinse after using towelettes, NO MATTER WHAT IT SAYS on the package. based on one expert makeup artist (lisa eldridge), the bad thing about towelettes is that they are usually not soaked enough with product to let the towelette really saturate & break down your makeup without rubbing & scrubbing. since i have a big box of neutrogena towelettes that i need to use up, i started adding several extra drops of water onto each one that i use -- i can just place this wetter towelette for almost 60 seconds over my waterproof eye makeup & mascara and WITHOUT rubbing or even barely moving the towelette, the makeup has disintegrated. And I can use the other half of the towelette to soak and remove the smashbox studio skin 15 hour foundation + primer + powder & lip products off my face. Then I rinse with water. And then I wash for about 20 seconds with alpha hydrox foaming face wash to remove feeling of whatever was on the towelette. I much prefer a moister towelette for removing makeup off my face & eyes. I have no idea what made the reviewed towelettes crunchy (maybe volcanic ash?) but clearly it's an indication that you should rinse your face after using these towelettes (like you should after using any/every towelette).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that if you have to rinse after using a towelette product then it kinda defeats the purpose. So I guess this one's not for me... Good thing you made an articulate review of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they probably go crunchy because they don't have any preservatives and are all natural. Great review!

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Their Brazilian Keratin and Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner are my holy grail items. They have completely changed my dry, chemically treated, frizzy hair into soft, silky, and quite manageable hair. I can even air dry my hair now without fear of looking like the bride of Frankenstein!

    Thank you for doing this review-I'd been eyeing the wipes for awhile because of my love for their hair products but you saved me from a mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still trying to figure out what made these so gloppy -> crunchy. My best guess is the cellulose gum, unless that's used to make the cloths themselves. I'm curious if these towelettes are supposed to be a little like sheet masks, with the goop absorbing the contents of pores - that might be interesting, but if that's the case they should explain it on the package.

    Also, I adored your photo illustrations of crunchiness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your reviews! Great info and they make me smile. I would be creeped out by the crunchiness factor too. I would probably spend waaaaay too much time poking the dried out towel over and over trying to figure it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this review. I was curious about the volcanic ash too. Doesn't sound like a cleansing wipe I need to try out.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig