Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, October 12, 2012

Five Buck Friday


It's Friday and you know what that means! This week I've got two Nouveau Cheap-approved products that you can buy for a grand total of five bucks (actually, the grand total for this installment of Five Buck Friday is around $4.50 so that's even better, right?).

Keep reading for some Five Buck Friday fun...

Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying Shampoo ($1.99 for 15 oz at most mass-retailers across the US). I like to think of this product as the best of the best when it comes to drugstore clarifying shampoos. There are others that I love, but I always come back to this one because, quite simply, it never fails me. Whenever I notice that my favorite shampoos and conditioners have stopped working or don't seem to make my hair look or feel as nicely as they usually do, I know it's time to whip out my Suave Clarifying Shampoo and remove all the product build-up from my hair. For me personally, using this product about once every two weeks seems to do the trick, but some might need to use it once a week (depending on how many products you use on your hair on a daily basis). It's not fancy, the scent is pretty run of the mill (clean and fresh) and the packaging isn't super cute, but it works, and that's of course what really matters, right?

Heel to Toe Feels Like New Foot Softener ($2.49 for 0.5 oz at Sally Beauty stores across the nation, $2.29 for Sally Club members). I suffer from dry heels worse than most anybody I know. It's a constant battle for me to keep my heels looking and feeling soft and I've discussed my routine at length here in the past (it involves multiple tools, lotions and potions). I honestly feel like I've tried every foot cream, balm, sloughing cream, scrub, pumice stone, egg, planer, file, etc. that's been released in the past 20 years, and one of the only foot balms that sticks out in my memory is this one that comes in a little .05 oz pot at Sally Beauty (it also comes in larger sizes). A few years ago, a friend of mine gave this product to me as a stocking stuffer at Christmas time, and I sort of dismissed it as just one of those last-minute stocking stuffer throwaway types of gifts. Boy do I feel stupid for ever doing that. I eventually decided to give it a try and after I did, you can bet that my friend got a phone call full of "I'm so stupid, please forgive me for not trying that product the minute I opened your package" types of apologies. Now be warned: this is not for those of you who already have pretty good feet and just need light to moderate moisture. This is a heavy, greasy foot balm, but what sets this one apart from other heavy, greasy foot balms I've used in the past is that this one actually seems to penetrate the skin, rather than just sit on the surface of the skin. I've used so many foot creams that seem to work, but hours later my feet are back to their icky, normal state. This one truly works wonders for me, and its effects last for a few days. One .05 oz pot lasts me a good, long while because you only need a teeny tiny bit per application. If you've got seriously dry heels and you've tried everything under the sun only to be let down, I think you might be pleasantly surprised by this one. (Tip: apply it just before bed so that you don't slip and slide around your kitchen/bathroom/etc. floor, or apply it and then slap on some comfy cotton socks to avoid any falls.)

Thanks so much for reading this installment of Five Buck Friday. Let's meet again next Friday for more fun, frugal finds!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. That Suave shampoo is my absolute favorite. I have super oily hair so I actually use it every day. Nothing leaves my hair feeling cleaner yet it doesn't completely dry out my hair. And you just can't beat the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you like this too!

      PS: your screen name always makes me thirsty. :)

      Delete
  2. I use the same product for my feet. I agree with you 100%, that stuff works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo hoo!!! I'm so glad this works for you too!! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

      Delete
  3. Maybe I should use that shampoo when I have to change up again, I am using a combo of two Aussie products which are the moisturizing shampoo with the revitalizing conditioner and I do the repeats so my hair won't look so dry. And about the foot balm, will that work with blistered feet? My left foot is healing a bit but I do get the blisters near my big toe now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would use this on blisters as it's not designed for that...it's a softening product. I would probably use something like neosporin and a bandaid on blisters. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. I am going to try the foot balm. Feet can always be softer!

    I use one of those Mr Pumice blocks from Sally in the shower, just before I get out, they work really great! Have you tried those yet G?

    Thanks for these great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think if you do!

      I have tried that one, but sadly it didn't quite work for me. :( I love the Swedish Foot File from Sally....it's my HG in-shower tool for me feet. :)

      Delete
  5. Suave has always been very YMMV for me. Most of the products leave my hair feeling just...ok. Some products, such as the Shea & Almond line, oh my lord, it left my hairline and scalp in complete wreckage. My scalp was flaky, red, inflamed, and so itchy that I was using my own fingernails to gouge out bloody chunks of scalp. It took 6 months to get my hair back to normal after a month of giving it a trial run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naie: i'm so sorry to hear that. I reviewed the Shea & Almond line back when it first came out and it really worked well for me (both the shamp and cond). :(

      Lisa: that stands for Your Mileage May Vary.

      Delete
  6. Omg I'm gonna run to sallys and get that foot stuff. I usually wear heels and sandals so my heels feel like leather :( hope it works!!! I'm sick of spending 5 bucks extra at the salon to get their rough heel treatment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CiCi, please do let me know how it works for you! :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I do, but I use my regular conditioner because otherwise my hair looks a bit frizzy. :)

      Delete
  8. I was wondering. I did try neosporin and a band aid and it didn't work. I was asking about the foot balm if it would help out that's all since you mentioned it. I guess it's still for the use of Stepping Stone and my foot cream from Gold Bond and the Walgreens antibiotic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever tried AmLactin Foot Cream Therapy? I tried it after I read a comment from a podiatrist about how it gets rid of calluses like nothing else. I tried it and I swear I noticed a difference in my heels in two days. This product is an absolute miracle as far as I'm concerned. They used to sell it at CVS but they discontinued it (in my area anyway.) You can get it online from several places though.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig