Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF30

When I spotted the new CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF30 at Rite Aid a few months ago (there's also a PM formula), I was very excited to try it. I purchased this product a few months ago and have been wearing it off and on ever since. I'm finally ready to share my thoughts with you so let's get started!

CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF30
(retail: around $13, 3 oz)





I love moisturizers that contain broad-spectrum sun protection (with my oily skin, it's nice to be able to skip a separate sunscreen if possible) and I REALLY love when the sunscreen in a moisturizer is SPF30 (SPF15 just doesn't cut it for me).

I also love that this product comes in a convenient pump bottle:


The consistency of this product is a little thick, but if I apply it right after my shower or right after I cleanse my face at the sink, when my skin is still a little damp, it spreads easily. It does take an extra minute or two to absorb (compared to other moisturizers I own) but I really love the moisturizing effects of this product, and how hydrated my skin looks and feels throughout the day. True to its word, I find that this product slowly releases additional moisture throughout the day--it's not the type of product that works at first and then disappears. You can really feel the hydrating properties all throughout day.




In cooler weather, this moisturizer doesn't make my face makeup slide around through the course of the day, which is a pleasant surprise given how moisturizing it is to my skin. I also like that it's fragrance-free, although it is NOT without scent (to me, it smells like baby sunscreen). Also, after it has absorbed, it doesn't leave a noticeable white cast on my skin  (as other moisturizers with SPF can be known to do). I've experienced no breakouts or skin irritations whatsoever while using this product. 

Unfortunately, due to my oily skin, this product doesn't work quite as well in the warmer months. In extremely warm weather, this product can feel heavy and deliver too much moisture to my skin. Also, when it comes to skincare, I've been trying to avoid products that contain multiple parabens, and this product contains two. So for these two reasons, I've actually switched back to using this moisturizer, which is paraben-free and feels a little more lightweight on my oily skin when the weather is warm.

FINAL VERDICT: If parabens are not an issue for you, and you're looking for a truly hydrating moisturizer that also contains broad-spectrum sun protection, I think CeraVe is a nice, affordable option at under $15 a bottle. It truly delivers on hydration and it probably won't feel heavy or greasy if your skin is normal, dry or very dry. But for my fellow oily-skinned folks out there, this one might be a tad too heavy, especially in the warmer months.

Click here to find out where CeraVe products are sold in your area. And there's also a $1 off coupon on the CeraVe website, in case you're planning on making a purchase.

Are you a CeraVe fan? If so, what are some of your favorite products from this brand? I'd love to hear from you!

PS: For years now, I've been saying "sarah-VAY". But the other day I actually saw a TV commercial for CeraVe and they pronounced it "sarah-VEE". So apparently I've been mispronouncing it all these years!
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. What the... sarah-VEE? I've been pronouncing it "seh-RAHV"! (sort of rhyming with "macabre.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey G!

    I think you'd really like the Cetaphil Dermacontrol Oil Control SPF 30 moisturizer. It sounds a lot like the CeraVe one except without the parabens...it even has the pump top! It's around the same price, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this product! I use both it and the night versions. I have dry to normal skin and am prone to breakouts but neither of these break me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the foaming cleanser for the summer, and the hydrating cleanser for the winter. I used to use their AM & PM moisturizer, but I have quit using moisturizers since I started using Alba Botanica's very emollient mineral sunscreen, unless my skin is very dry for some reason. I don't moisturize at night, I found it is one of the things that makes me break out.

    Interestingly, since I quit moisturizing all the time, my skin doesn't get that dry but oily thing going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Cerave products (on my dermatologists' recommendation) -- the cream in the winter & the lotion in the summer. And if it makes you feel any better, he said 'Sarah-Vay', too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have combo oily skin but recently ive had the most gross dry patches. even people at my job commented :( I purchased the moisturizing cleanser and the pm lotion and wow! My skin is recovered in a week. I will be a lifetime Cerave customer.
    I havent had a chance to try the AM yet. Still using up my olay lotion.

    I was able to use my $5 off $15 at CVS to purchase the am lotion and walgreens I think has a bogo 50% off sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use both the AM and PM versions. I am 53 with normal/ dry skin. I use both year round. I use the AM under the Maybelline BB cream in Dark. They both lwork amazingly on my skin. The CeraVe products are rated highly on Allure website and Beautypedia websites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this! Even though I have sensitive oily-combination skin, I use this year-round bc it doesn't ever get too hot around here (unlike San Diego). But thanks G for mentioning this is too much for the warm weather in Southern California. I was planning on using this for my trip down there but it sounds like I should think about bringing along a lighter face lotion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've used this and the Cetaphil oil free with SPF moisturizers and I liked this one better. I too have combination/oily skin and found this to be WAY too heavy for the summer. In the winter it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started using Cerave Moisture Cream after my daughters pediatrician said asians tend to have really dry skin in the winter and it has been the best body moisturizer. Its a little too much for the humid summers here in North Carolina so we switch to the lotion. Since discovering the brand 9 months ago, I now use Hydrating Cleanser, and both the AM and PM facial moisturizers. I love them all! I use the AM with a very small amount of my Graftobian HD Creme Foundation for a tinted moisturizer every day. My face was super oily when I lived in San Diego and still super oily here in NC but my face doesn't feel oily with the AM moisturizer and doesn't make my face break out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started using Cerave Moisture Cream after my daughters pediatrician said asians tend to have really dry skin in the winter and it has been the best body moisturizer. Its a little too much for the humid summers here in North Carolina so we switch to the lotion. Since discovering the brand 9 months ago, I now use Hydrating Cleanser, and both the AM and PM facial moisturizers. I love them all! I use the AM with a very small amount of my Graftobian HD Creme Foundation for a tinted moisturizer every day. My face was super oily when I lived in San Diego and still super oily here in NC but my face doesn't feel oily with the AM moisturizer and doesn't make my face break out.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig