Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Review: Black Radiance Artisan Color Baked Blush in Raspberry

If you're new to this blog, you might not know that I'm a huge, longtime fan of Black Radiance (owned by Markwins, makers of Wet n Wild). You can select the Black Radiance category on the right-hand sidebar to see all of my past reviews, if you'd like to see some of my favorites and Holy Grails from this line. 

Black Radiance products can be a little tricky to find (not all Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens locations carry the line) but they're also in select Walmarts (and Kmarts too, I believe). You can also purchase most (but not all) Black Radiance products from Walgreens.com and Drugstore.com if you can't find them in your area.

 Black Radiance Artisan Color Baked Blush in Raspberry
(retail: $4.99, 0.1 oz)

There was originally an instant $1 off sticker on this blush, which I of course used when I purchased it at my local Rite Aid a while back (look out for these instant coupons though, because I'm still seeing them on select products).

When it comes to the color cosmetics from Black Radiance, they offer some of the most pigmented products I've ever seen at the drugstore. Designed for Women of Color, it can be a challenge to control the pigmentation if you have a fairer complexion, but it can definitely be done (I'm a MAC NC20, for example, and I can definitely wear BR's color cosmetics).

So let's take a closer look at this blush:

Instantly the packaging reminded me of LORAC Baked Matte Satin Blushes. The LORAC version is larger (0.17 oz vs. 0.1 oz)  but then again, the LORAC blush will set you back $24.You can almost buy five Black Radiance blushes for the price of one LORAC (gotta love drugstore makeup!).



The following photo is a very accurate representation of the color of this blush. It's not quite a true red--it's got some pink/magenta to it with an ever-so-slight blue sheen running through it (so slight that it doesn't actually translate to the skin).


Here's what Raspberry looks like on my arm, in both full intensity and then blended out a bit. I find the color very true-to-pan, as it doesn't end up veering off into the realm of orange or pink after blending:


Blended out (above), I think you get more of a true raspberry tone, so I don't think the name of this blush is as misleading as it may seem when you're looking at it while in the packaging (it looks so red when in the box, especially under florescent store lights).

I also wanted to show you what this blush looks like on my actual cheeks. I think this should give you an indication of just how pigmented this product is. 

For the following two photos, I applied this blush to clean, bare skin (no foundation, primer, etc.).


In this first pic above, I swirled my blush brush onto the product in the same fashion that I'd swirl any of my drugstore blushes. I then gave my brush a good tap and applied as usual. Yikes! Waaaaaay too pigmented to apply like a regular drugstore blush. So here's what it looked like after I tried to tone it down (done by taking a seperate, clean blush brush and buffing my skin):


Still, way too bright. So please, take my advice and use a light, light hand with this blush if you have medium-to-fair skin. Otherwise you might have to remove your makeup and start again.

Texture, finish and pigmentation: The texture of this blush is a little bit drier than other baked blushes I own, and it doesn't seem quite as smooth. If you have very dry skin, I would suggest using a hydrating foundation and/or a good primer before applying this blush, otherwise you could get spotty, patchy results due to its dryness. I have very oily skin, and as you can see in the pics above, I had no issues with patchy application (any inconsistencies you see above are due to my uneven skintone and the fact that I applied this blush to bare skin). Unlike the LORAC Baked Matte Satin blushes, which actually are pretty shimmery and contain some sparkle, this blush is a true matte satin. No shimmer, no glitter, no sparkle. This blush basically looks like a matte unless you view it at just the right angle, at which time you might see a very soft sheen. Pigmentation? Scroll up.

Blendablity: On my oily skin, blending wasn't an issue. But on dry-to-very-dry skin, I'd suggest using a creamier foundation and/or a good silicone-based primer beforehand. If you don't, you might encounter some blending issues/patchy application due to the powder being a bit drier than other baked blushes.

Staying power: Because this powder is a bit on the dry side, I think that lends to its awesome staying power. I can put this blush on at 7AM and I can still see it on my cheeks by 7PM. This oily-skinned gal has absolutely no complaints about staying power. Also, this blush doesn't oxidize and turn orange over time for me, which is always appreciated.

Fragrance: this blush has absolutely no scent (to my nose).

FINAL VERDICT: If you've had bad luck with drugstore blushes in the past due to lack of pigmentation and staying power, you just might be surprised by Black Radiance Artisan Color Baked Blush in Raspberry. I haven't tried other shades (yet) but man oh man is this blush pigmented. It's a beautiful raspberry shade that would probably work with a variety of skintones (just use a very, very light hand if you're on the fairer end of the spectrum). The only person I wouldn't recommend this blush to is someone with very dry skin who doesn't like to wear any type of moisturizer, foundation or primer (does that person exist??). Since this blush has a drier texture, it will go on patchy if you're not working with hydrated skin (again, if you have very dry skin, I think a good silicone-based primer like Hard Candy Sheer Envy would work well underneath this blush by creating a smooth surface to avoid spotty/patchy application). Those with oily skin don't have to worry about this at all--I've had no issues with patchy application whatsoever. I don't know if I'd call this blush a dupe for the LORAC Baked Matte Satin Blushes, but since those contain shimmer and glitter and these do not, I think the Black Radiance version can truly give you a matte-satin look. I love that Raspberry is not a glitter bomb, and it doesn't contain any shimmer either (just a very soft sheen that's barely detectable). For me, this might just be the perfect blush when you consider the price ($4.99 for 0.1 oz). Highly recommend!

Do you own any Black Radiance Artisan Color Baked Blushes? If so, what do you think of them? If not, do you think these might fit your blush needs? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I keep seeing reviews for these blushes but I can never find them. D=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adeline, try checking at Meijer if you have one near you. My Meijer stocks Black Radiance products right next to the Wet and Wild stuff. Look carefully as you might actually think the whole section is Wet and Wild since some of the packaging is similar between the two brands.

      Delete
    2. I am in CA and they only place I have found black radiance is Sears. So if your Sears sells cosmetics you may want to check them out.

      Delete
  2. I own this one! I like it, but I haven't worn it much yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dollar General near me carries Black Radiance brand cosmetics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of their original blushes are my Holy Grail favorites. You're right about the pigmentation. I'm brown and some of the pigmentation of the original blushes is off the charts. Too intense for even the lightest hand (thinking of an original blush called "Cherry"). I haven't tried their baked because I stocked up on their original. If I ever run out, I'll give the baked a try. Love all of your Black Radiance reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black Radiance blushes are very pigmented! I own Warm Berry and Toasted Almond; both, shades are really nice fall colors. Nice Review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its very pretty! Would love to add this to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the BR in Warm Berry and I'm about as fair as they come ("goth porcelain") and this is my favourite blush, absolutely. I really really recommend a small fiber optic brush such as the one sold for $5 at SilkNaturals.com for application of this blush and other bright heavily pigmented colors. It makes it much easier to get a very light, easily blendable flush of color, and you don't waste any product tapping off excess (not that that is so critical at this price point). I bought my Black Radiance on Amazon.com after reading a review from you about the brand and while searching for matte baked blushes. I paid around $5 + shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a brown skinned lady, I also use a very light hand with BR blush. I own Warm Berry which is a beautiful red color. When I apply, it's just 1 touch, tap off, and that does both cheeks. Can't wait to find this new color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very pretty! I've never seen these in my area.
    Peg~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot find Black Radiance ANYWHERE near me (North San Francisco Bay Area) and I am dying to try everything made by them that you feature on your blog... This blush looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try your really intense blushes using a duofibre/stipling blush and a light hand. It works for me (or I look like a clown and no one tells me).

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can go to the website and it will tell you the nearest location Black Radiance can be found. It usually is sold where women of color buy make-up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a BR blush and I love it! One of the AA sales associates at Sephora told me to go to my local walmart and pick it up! A little goes a looooong way. It looks GREAT on my NW 45 complexion

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig