Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Spotted: CoverGirl CG Smoothers BB Cream

7/5/12: PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR AN UPDATE REGARDING THIS PRODUCT. THANKS.

First it was Garnier, then Maybelline, then (two) from L'Oreal. Now CoverGirl is jumping on the BB Cream train.

A huge thanks to reader Eliza for this sighting. Eliza was at her local Target the other day and had this to say:

I went to Target today and spotted a BB cream by CoverGirl! It wasn't on a special display or anything, just stuck next to other products. It was priced at $6.24 at my store & there was only one shade in Light/Medium.

image credit: Eliza for Nouveau Cheap
CoverGirl CGSmoothers BB Cream SPF15 in Light/Medium
(retail: $6.24 at Target)

What's interesting is that, underneath the words "BB Cream" it says "tinted moisturizer". I'm not sure how this product compares to the CGSmoothers Tinted Moisturizer (which is also SPF15) but it will be interesting to compare the ingredients of the two.

Thanks so much, Eliza, for the great sighting and pic!

Have you spotted the CoverGirl CGSmoothers BB Cream at your local Target yet? It's not on the Target site or the CoverGirl site yet, so I think it's only popping up in-store at Target at this point.

PS: I know that there are many critics of American BB creams (which apparently don't compare at all to Asian BB creams--I haven't tried any Asian BB creams yet, but I've read MANY reviews over the years). I think the biggest difference between the two is that many Asian BB Creams provide full-coverage and more skincare benefits than their US counterparts. It looks to me that some US manufacturers of BB creams are taking a different approach and making products that lean more toward the "tinted moisturizer" end of the spectrum, providing sheer coverage along with a few skincare benefits and, in some cases, SPF. I'm currently testing the L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream for an upcoming review, and I have also purchased the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream, which I'll test and review in the weeks to come. I'll certainly purchase the CoverGirl version when I spot it and review it as well. Hope that helps!
SHARE:

28 comments

  1. This actually isn't any different from the original aqua smothers tinted moisturizer. They just changed the name but it still has the same product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Were you able to compare the ingredients? Thanks!!

      Delete
    2. I read that on another blog. They have just added BB to the name.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I'd like to compare the ingredients lists myself before I update this post, but thanks for the info. :)

      Delete
  2. Asian BB creams don't provide full coverage, but they do provide more coverage than American BB creams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for deleting my first comment, but I misquoted myself! lol! So let's try this again: in my post above, I said "many", not "all" bb creams provide full-coverage. I said that because several of the Asian BB creams I've seen reviewed over the years are for BB creams that provide some CRAZY coverage. But I understand that not all do, and the coverage varies from brand to brand. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Just picked this product up yesterday as well as the cover girl tinted moisturizer. This bb cream doesnt offer much coverage and is very cakey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, so you have both the CGSmoothers BB cream AND the CGSmoothers tinted moisturizer? Can you tell us now the ingredients compare? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Did you find the covergirl tinted moisturizer at Target?

      Delete
  4. Still hoping to find an American BB that's like Marcelle's version. It's like they think they can fool us with a plain old tinted moisturizer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the new Maybelline BB cream. I use it under my mineral makeup and the two work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of the L'Oreal ones and I am really liking it. It gives me almost full coverage. I set it with Hard Candy's matte powder and it looks amazing. These BB Creams are really interesting to me. I hope they hang around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this the other day at Target as well. Just kind of amongst the other CG Smoothers Tinted Moisturizers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, try Za brand one! it is an Asian BB cream. full coverage , non sticky with 12 benefits in 1 tube. also smells really good.. spf43++

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have hated every tinted moisturizer that I have ever tried. I guess that type of product is just not for me. But I absolutely adore the Maybelline BB cream. I wear it under my mineral makeup kind of like a primer. The Maybelline one to me at least is not like a typical tinted moisturizer.

    I guess I will be skipping the Cover Girl one then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have also heard that this product is just renamed/repackaged. I'm not totally sure if its true but it would explain why there was no special display for the product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After using Korean brand BB creams I have to say I am SO SO SO disappointed with US BB creams. It seems they're just slapping the label on anything because it's the "hot new thing". I guess I will have to continue to order online from Korea because these American versions are not going to work for me. I need at least medium and buildable coverage because I was not blessed with a lovely even skintone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish companies were coming out with more colors in these new products. I can say the Maybelline darker color matches perfect with my MAC NC45 skin and I love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this in Target yesterday too. They just repackaged the tinted moisturizer to call it a "BB Cream." In fact, they had some of the old packaging behind the new packaging, on the same hanger. I did see on another blog and ingredients comparison and they are the same. http://vanessatiffanie.blogspot.com/2012/06/review-covergirls-new-bb-cream.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard that its the same smoothers tinted moisturizer, all they did was change the packaging to call it a BB Cream.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heard that its the same smoothers tinted moisturizer, all they did was change the packaging to call it a BB Cream.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, this just makes me mad. Until I hear that a US bb cream compares to the real ones I'm just not going to waste my money. I do hear they can be lovely tinted moisturizers, but I don't want a tinted moisturizer. I have been fully converted to a bb cream user, partially because they are so multifunction. The Asian ones I have tried all have high spfs, skin benefits, medium coverage, really moisturizing and long lasting. I just wish the western market would stop putting out tinted mosturizers they decide to call bb creams!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to pick this up! I love BB creams, I have the Garnier and Stila. I still need Covergirl, Maybelline, and both LOreals!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone, for all the great info. I just posted an update:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2012/07/covergirl-bb-cream-vs-covergirl-tinted.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is why I'll stick with Korean Beauty Balms because the Western versions are not real BB creams.

    ReplyDelete
  20. G, i bought a set of four different skin79 BB creams on eBay for around $7. You can do a search for them, but i'll also email you the URL for the set i got. I'm pleased with the one i 've tried so far. The size of the tubes are pretty generous for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just recently bought this and I love the maybelline dream fresh BB cream although I like a full coverage effect, this CG one gives me some coverage for those "no makeup" days but I do have to build it up to get any coverage,... which sucks, the maybelline dream fresh one gives better coverage then this one, but none the less I bought it and i do like it.. so i will use it up, but NOT repurchase it, I sooo want to try the Asian BB creams, as i have heard so many good things about them, !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Get's Good reviews
    http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/cover-girl/cg-smoothers/_/CG-Smoothers-BB-Cream-Tinted-Moisturizer-Sunscreen-SPF-15

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig