Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, June 28, 2012

Essie Camera: the name says it all (and then some)

I wasn't even planning on swatching any of the Essie shades that I purchased in that crazy clearance haul from a few weeks ago.

But when I did a manicure yesterday with Essie Camera, which I purchased at Rite Aid, it was so gorgeous that I had to photograph it. And it was THEN that I realized that Essie must have had a tounge-in-cheek idea in mind when they named this color Camera (from the Summer 2012 Poppy-Razzi Collection).

 Essie Camera
(retail: $8, 0.46 oz)

Sorry for the clearance stickers, but I couldn't find my Goo-Gone and I didn't want to mess up my mani trying to peel the stickers from my bottle.


In the bottle, Camera looks like a bright, hot pink (much pinker than my pics indicate). The fact that I couldn't capture the bottle shade with my CAMERA (get it?), caused me some frustration and only added to the cheekiness of the name of this color.

But here's the thing: not only is this polish nearly impossible for my camera to capture accurately, but the COLOR ITSELF plays the same trick in REAL LIFE. In other words: it looks more orange on camera, and it ALSO looks more orange on the nails vs. how it appears in the bottle. How clever, Essie!

If you do a Google image search for Essie Camera, some of the photographs you'll see make this color look more pink. In my swatches, you're going to see that it's not pink at all, BUT, allow me to explain:

With one or two coats, Essie Camera looks like coral and actually has a lot of pink to it. However, this is a sheer jelly polish, and it really demands three coats (even with three coats you'll have visible nail line). But when you apply three coats of this polish, it becomes far more orange--almost to the point of being tomato-red.

Here are lots of swatches taken in a variety of lights (three coats + Seche Vite top coat):


See how, in the pic above, the bottle looks pink, yet the color on my nails is tomato-orange? That's exactly how it appear in real life as well.






So the moral of this story is this: Camera is a perfect name of this polish because, as anyone trying to photograph oranges and bright pinks knows, cameras have a tendency to distort those types of shades. But the fun thing is that this distortation also takes place in real life with Essie Camera: it looks like a hot pink in the bottle but after three coats, it turns tomato-orangey with just a TOUCH of pink to it.

If you're thinking of buying Essie Camera and you're looking for that bright, hot pink you see in person when you look at the bottle, just know that you'll only get that color after one coat (maybe two). But this is a sheer jelly, so unless you like lots of visible nail line, three coats is practically a necessity and, after three coats, you're NOT going to get the color you see in the bottle. Thankfully for me, I happen to love this polish after three coats, so I don't mind that one bit.

Do you own Essie Camera? If so, have you experienced a similar situation after three coats?
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Maybe if you really want the same color in the bottle, you can first do a white base and then add two coats? Love the color and the price, even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea!! Luckily I really love this one after three, but that's a great suggestion for those who want the hot pink of the bottle!

      And, yeah...i'm still stunned that I got THREE essies at that price! :)

      Delete
  2. The wnw megalast polish in 'club havana' kind of looks like this. i have it on my nails now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bottle of Zoya Elodie and Kylie2 have the same sort of effect for me. They look very pinky-coral in tbe bottle and then when I put them on my nails after about 2-3 coats they look very orangy-coral. Luckily, I like them both anyways, but I was kinda bummed cuz I really love my pinky-corals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that taking pictures of neons in the dark with a flash helps them be more true to color. Idk what it is. Neons are a pain to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately this is full price at my Rite Aid :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. My bottle of Sinful Colors Pink (#871) does the same thing! In the bottle it's a gorgeous neon pink, on my nails it's a neon coral that leans very, very orange. I thought it was so weird the first time I wore it because I don't see ANY orange in the bottle color at all. I don't mind the color on my nails but I'm still searching for that perfect neon pink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. G, you should do polish swatches (mani's) more often. Your nails are a great shape, and your manicure skills are terrific. Just a thought. And a small request? Thanks. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Camera was from their neon collection. Lights, Camera, Action and Bazooka were the 4 colors. You're supposed to apply white polish first. I think the neon coloring in it acts weird on nails w/o the white. I ordered one of these online. Very bright!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi G! can you recommend what brands carry sheer jelly nail polishes? i'm glad you gave this nail polish texture a term -sheer jelly- bc that's what i call it. but there've been mostly glitters, sheers, shimmers, neons and cremes etc, so i thought i was going crazy bc many of my friends don't know what i'm talking about when i mention sheer jelly polishes. thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leave it to Essie to play a mean trick like that on bloggers!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig