Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Recreating the Milani Pure Love eye look

If you caught my previous post where I attempted to recreate the nail look worn by the model in the press image for the Limited Edition Milani Pure Love Collection (available exclusively at Walgreens), then you know that I hoped to also create the eye look worn by the model as well.

Before we get to that, I want to take a few minutes to properly review the eyeshadow trio in this collection, because it's quickly become my go-to compact for both day and night. In a few words, it's PURE LOVE for me and this little trio:

Milani Eyeshadow Trio 03 True Romance
 from the Limited Edition Pure Love Collection




Swatched on bare skin without primer:


The shadows in this trio are nicely pigmented even without primer. Both the brown and cream shades contain shimmer (they're more like satins when applied to the eye) and the black is a matte with silver sparkle:


Lovelies, I ADORE this trio. I can even go so far as to say that if you're drawn to colors like this, it's worth seeking out (aka stalking your local Walgreens) right away. I find the shadows to be very finely milled with little-to-no fallout during application, and all three shadows blend like a dream. The pigmentation is enhanced with the use of primer of course, but I can get about 4-5 hours of wear without primer before I start to see any serious fading/creasing. 

The two things I absolutely love about this trio:

1) The cream shade is unlike any other highlight shade I own. If you look closely, you'll see that there's almost a touch of gray to this color. Instead of the usual stark white, beige or champagne highlighter that usually comes in trios of this nature, Milani really did something special with this one. It's a gorgeous shade that isn't overpowering when applied lightly and blended, but it's just enough to pull a look together in a very pretty, natural way. LOVE this color.

2) The brown shade is so versatile (it reminds me of one of my MAC shadows that I can't remember the name of right now). I love wearing this on my lid and blended upward for quick wash of color, and I also love wearing it as a crease shade. Oh! And I love wearing it on my lower lashline for a smoky look--it's gorgeous like that as well.

So now let's get to my eye look! Here's the photo of the model, just as a reminder:


And here is my look, translated into a more wearable version:




For this look:
  • I applied the cream shade to my brown-bone and inner corners of my eyes.
  • I applied the brown shade to my lids and blended upward into the crease.
  • I applied the black shade in the crease and blended all three colors with a fluffy blender brush.
  • Finally, I used a small liner brush to apply the brown shade to the lower lash line.

Also used for this look:
Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden as primer
Jordana FabuLiner in Black on upper lash line
Milani Total Lash Cover Mascara (review coming soon)
Palladio Precision Eyeliner in Black Onyx on waterline
Maybelline Define-A-Brow pencil in Dark Blonde on brows
Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation in Nude 
Maybelline SuperStay Concealer in Light
Almay Line Smoothing Pressed Powder in Light

Now, obviously, the brown shade pulls much more red in the photo of the model. In real life, I find this shade to have a touch of red to it, but not nearly as much as in the photograph (which, personally, is fine by me because it's more versatile that way). Also, I was HAPPY to see that the highlight shade doesn't have the chalky look that you see on the model. In person, this shade is truly the hit of the trio for me. It's so natural-looking and easy to wear--it's made me fall in love with brow-bone shades all over again.

Like I mentioned earlier in this post, if you're drawn to the shades in this trio, I say run, don't walk, to your nearest Walgreens and see if you can find it. I honestly haven't been this excited about an eyeshadow trio in a while, and I really hope that Milani will consider making this part of their core collection in some capacity or another. It's that awesome.

Have you spotted the Pure Love collection at your Walgreens yet? If so, have you purchased any of the polishes or this trio? I'd love to hear what you think of them!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. Great recreation! I have to try out some Milani shadows in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks gorgeous on you, G - and now I want to try it too

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. I have not being able to find it at any of my local Walgreens. Not fair :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Milani is coming out with new shadows... I saw a little demo on youtube but have not heard anything else about them.. the ones I saw were all super bright colors, hopefully they will have some neutrals and more wearable colors as well. I've always thought if Milani can make such great blush, they should be able to do amazing shadows as well... and although the baked ones are gorgeous, they really have to be applied wet to get the full effect. Looking forward to more info. These were in my Wags yesterday.. but I passed them up because I already had another purchase in mind, and these are a bit cool for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you did a great job with that. I love that eye look on you! You may actually have convinced me to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even seen Milani in a Walgreens - only in CVS. I live in Dallas - surely somewhere. Any chance you might make a map for this product?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That trio looks awesome on you, I hope I can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen Milani at Walgreens - only at CVS. I'm in Dallas - surely some Walgreens will carry it. Any chance you'll do a map on this one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw it in mine, but I ended up passing it up because I felt I had colors that were similar ( though I'm rethinking it now)
    ! I did however get the three gorgeous polishes from this collection!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always look at the Milani display but I've never gotten anything. I think i'll have to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being a HUGE Milani fan I picked this one up last week. I was super excited about it but having tried it now this my least favorite Milani eyeshadow. I really only like the 'base' eyeshadow, the other two are kind of dull. Wish I could return it and pick up one of the nail polishes :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. This trio is lovely! I wish the black was matte, though - if it was, it would be absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like I really need this little trio, haven't seen it in store yet! Great look :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely recreation G! It's definitely more wearable, and I feel like the colors on the model are more enhanced. I was super excited to find this trio at the first Walgreens I visited and I have to agree with you about the dove grey shade. It's gorgeous! I feel like I should grab the a backup, but considering that there's only three in a display, I don't want to be greedy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not seen this product in my area yet, only here on your blog.

    I needed to post and say that you did an excellent job! Awesome skills! I liked your commentary, too. I learn so much from hearing people discuss color in a very insightful way. I feel that this is not a strength of mine (although my abilities are improving ever so slowly) and I really enjoyed your precise language.

    For instance, when you say that the brown shade pulls (more) red on the model's photo, I would never have made this observation on my own. But once you say it, I can see it. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is the MAC shade you're thinking of maybe Mulch? It reminded me to that too, although Mulch might be slightly darker. The black shade is reminding me to MAC Stately Black which was one of the shades in their Hello Kitty Too Dolly palette that came out a few years ago.

    I didn't really want this but you're making me want it just for that highlight shade!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sigh ... our Walgreens doesn't carry Milani (it's exclusive to CVS here in NJ) ... WHYYYYY???

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, LipstickChick, my Walgreens stores do not carry Milani, but I have found them at KMart. I know that sometimes KMart can be out of the way, and in sketchy neighborhoods, but it is an idea that is worth seeking out if you really want to exhaust all possible ideas. Is there a KMart in your area that you could try? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I finally found this at my local walgreens after stalking it for weeks. I LOVE this trio!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is soooo pretty. I'll definitely be on the lookout. The hilight shade looks a lot like MAC vex to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You make this trio work very well. I actually find the colors could be a bit more pigmented. What I like most is your winged eyeliner. In the picture with your eyes open, it looks very subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your look, especially your eyeliner that has a slight winged look to it. Have you ever done a tutorial on this? I would love to see how you do yours. I can never get mine to look nearly that good so I just give up!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig