Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, December 22, 2011

Max Factor Momentum Moss (from Dollar Tree)

Max Factor cosmetics made their exit from US drugstores a few years ago, but recently I spotted some of their nail polishes (which I loved very much back in the day) at Dollar Tree. The most captivating shade of all the shades at my Dollar Tree was Momentum Moss (my opinion of course), so I thought I'd show it to you today.

Please note: these polishes come in 2-packs for $1 at Dollar Tree, and they are NOT big-three-free, in case that is a concern for you.

Max Factor Diamond Hard Nail Enamel in Momentum Moss
(retail: $0.50 at Dollar Tree - these come in 2-packs)

Please note that I used ONE coat of Momentum Moss in all of the following photos. Like many non-big-three-free polishes I own, one coat gives perfect opacity; I honestly didn't need a second coat. The consistency of this polish is perfect--not too thick, not too thin. It practically paints itself. The only issue I have with this polish (and most older polishes I own) is that they take an extra few minutes to dry.

In direct sunlight (one coat of Momentum Moss and one coat of Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat):


In direct sunlight, the green in this shade really comes out:


Here are two photos taken indoors with artificial light--notice how the color of this polish looks more like a grayed-out green indoors:



And because I'm currently obsessed with Sally Hansen Glass Slipper, I had to layer a coat of it on top of Momentum Moss (followed by another coat of Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat):


These pics were taken in direct sunlight and my camera couldn't pick up on the fact that when the sun hits my nails, it brings out the tiny multi-colored particles in Momentum Moss. I promise you, in direct sunlight, this look is a feast for the eyes. There is so much sparkle and shimmer and the "snow flakes" just dance in the light.


Here's a shot taken outdoors in the shade:


And finally, a few shots taken indoors in artificial lighting:




It may look like the texture of Glass Slipper is bumpy, but it's absolutely smooth to the touch. In person, the flakes lay flat on the nail and there are no bumps at all.

Have you spotted any Max Factor polishes at your Dollar Tree? Do you already own Momentum Moss? I love the way Glass Slipper looks on top of the grayish-green shimmer of Momentum Moss so much that I might actually make this my Christmas Day manicure this year!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. That IS a very Christmas-y manicure!! It reminds me of a Christmas tree covered in snowflakes. You now have me itching to use that bottle of Glass Slipper I bought a few weeks ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering just the other day what happened to Max Factor, especially since they are considered the first true cosmetics brand.

    Also, do you find that buying products from the dollar store is okay? The packaging is normally really beat up and I am always worried the product will have gone bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Max Factor cosmetics and its unfortunate that they discontinued them in the US! Nice polish, wish i could find awesome stuff like that @ my dollar tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi G!

    I'm curious to hear your thoughts on non-big-3-free polishes. I definitely shy away from them because the toxic chemicals worry me. What's your take?

    ReplyDelete
  5. florence: Thank you! That's what I thought too! :) And girlie, you need to bust out your bottle of Glass Slipper ASAP. Haha!

    Girlie Blogger: Thanks!

    The Lacquered Lady: I can't really tell you yes or no. For me personally, I just kind of go with my gut on makeup from the Dollar Store. If I know the product was just recently discontinued OR if it "appears" to still be good (like if the nail polish doesn't look completely dried out or off-color) I will usually give it a shot. However, I would never buy a cosmetic for use on the face that I knew was discontinued years ago, but that's just me.

    And then there are SOME beauty products that are brand new (like how L.A. Colors appears to have a contract with Dollar Tree, so their new products show up there quite frequently). In that case, I don't hesitate at all to buy something.

    Sorry I can't be more definitive but I think it's really up to each person and what THEY feel comfortable with. I can't say, "Yes, it's ok to buy cosmetics at the dollar store" or "no, don't do it". It's totally up to the buyer. Hope that helps.

    Glitz Glam Budget: Hopefully they'll show up soon for you. *fingers crossed*!

    Margaret: Well I can only speak for myself here, but since I'm old (41) I have been using non-big-three-free polishes for MANY more years than I have been using big-three-free formulas. So for me personally, it's not a terribly scary thing. As a general rule, I tend to wear big-three-free polishes more often, and for longer periods of time, but since I've been wearing non-big-three-free polishes for decades now, they don't freak me out. But of course that's just my weird logic and I would never tell anyone to actively use or not use them--it's a personal choice of course. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my dollar never has anything good like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful xmass mani, one little question, is glass sliper limited edition?

    ReplyDelete
  8. very pretty I hated they stopped saling Max Factor here in usa thats a color looks like Rags to riches??what do u think the comparrasance is??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm bummed my Dollar Trees aren't getting the Max Factor nail polishes, but I did get lucky tonight and got Max Factor Vivid Impact Shadow Duos! I loved those and was so excited to see them there. I hope the lipsticks show up too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I work at a Dollar Tree and we've gotten a bunch of these polishes in lately, but nothing as pretty as this; the ones we have are pretty boring, actually.

    We've gotten a bunch of other awesome beauty products in lately, too; like Maybelline polishes (including matte!) I've never seen before, SH heated eyelash curlers, and SH Gentle Peel for Rough Lips (which works like a dream, by the way!). It's pretty awesome getting first dibs on beauty products. xD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi G! I saw the Max Factor nail polish 2 packs at my local dollar tree the other day and didn't buy any, but you inspired me to go back and buy them yesterday! My two pack came with Momentum Moss and Bombshell Blue. I painted my nails last night with the Momentum Moss and love it! I think I may have to run out and get Glass Slipper to put over it :) Did you get Bombshell Blue? If so, any ideas on how you're going to wear it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig