Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, December 23, 2011

Classic Drugstore Beauty Products Revisited: Chapstick Classic Original Lip Balm


Last month I started a new series here at Nouveau Cheap where I'll be revisiting drugstore beauty products that are considered to be "classics". I think it's fun to revisit these types of products to see how they compare to newer products, and maybe even find some old new favorites along the way!

To see the first part of this series featuring Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream, click here.

Today I'd like to revisit what was probably the first lip balm I ever used, Classic Chapstick:

 Chapstick Classic Original Lip Balm SPF4
(retail: around $1.50)



I haven't used Classic Chapstick (or any Chapstick, actually) in literally decades, so after looking at the ingredients list I was a little surprised to notice that this product contains two forms of parabens. There are many lip balms that are paraben-free these days, so perhaps one day Chapstick will switch to a paraben-free formula. (Sidenote: I don't want to turn this into a discussion about parabens, so let me just state now that I generally try to avoid them, but I'm not a stickler about it. If I can avoid them I will, however I do use some products that contain them so it's not a 100% deal-breaker for me personally. I am NOT advising you to use, or not use, products that contain parabens. That is of course entirely up to you.)


The first thing I noticed about this product was the fragrance (actually, I like the pink color of this balm as well). On my last review, several of you commented about how you LOVE the smell of the original Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream. Well I didn't plan it this way, but Classic Original Chapstick actually smells VERY much like Noxzema! And guess what? This time around, I kind of like it! But even though it has that classic Noxzema scent (no doubt due to the camphor), it doesn't TASTE bad or medicinal to me. Oddly enough, even though the smell is strong, the flavor is mild. I really can't taste much--maybe a faintly minty, slightly suntan-lotiony flavor.


So let's get to the texture and performance of this lip balm. Well color me SHOCKED, folks. My early memories of Chapstick were that of a dry, very waxy balm. So I was quite surprised to discover that this product is not dry or waxy on my lips AT ALL. It's actually slicker than I remember, and it feels nice and light on the lips. I don't find it overly greasy and it seems to have very good staying power as well. I can put it on at night before bed and in the morning I can still feel it on my lips.

A few weeks ago I had very chapped lips that were in desperate need of exfoliation. Before I exfoliated (I like to use brown sugar mixed with a little olive oil to exfoliate my lips every now and then), I decided to just apply my Chapstick and see what happened. I was very surprised to find that within a few minutes, the roughness seemed to disappear and my lips felt soft and hydrated. Mission accomplished.

FINAL VERDICT: Using Original Classic Chapstick in 2011 provided a much different experience for me versus my memories of using Original Classic Chapstick in the late 80s/early 90s. My memories of this product were those of a dry, very waxy balm, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that this product is neither dry nor waxy for me now. I don't know if Chapstick changed/altered the formula since the 80s, but this lip balm exceeded my expectations in terms of its texture. Also, the moisturizing and protective properties of this balm were much better than my memories from yester-year. It's not a Holy Grail lip balm for me (that award still goes to Mad Gab's), but it's much, much better than I remember it to be, which is a very pleasant surprise.

When was the last time you used Chapstick? Are you a current fan? Did you like it back in the day? Are you thinking about revisiting it? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

This product was purchased with personal funds.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Bleh. All My memories of chapsticks were horrible. I haven't used it in about 8 years or so. All I remember is when I was little my parents would just slather this on my lips all the time and it'd just make my lips even drier 10 minutes later.

    Honestly, I don't think I'm ever going to re-buy Since there are so many other amazing brands I've tried and have yet to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know. Sometimes it's nice to revisit old products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated the original chapstick, and your memory is correct, G, it did used to be dry and waxy. I even remember it being a bit crumbly. I think they must have updated the formula but kept the original flavor? I hated that flavor too, but I have to admit if my lips were badly chapped then chapstick did work for me. The same goes for yucky tasting blistex and carmex. When my lips are cracked to the point of bleeding I will still pick up blistex and use it overnight to soften them up again. I don't trust the new tasty and smooth balms to work as well or as fast as those old yucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My go-to balm when my lips are chapped is Chap-Block by CVS. Yes, it is a store brand but I find it superior to anything else I've tried. I seriously love it!

    I have a dozen or more of them everywhere. Work bag, school bag, diaper bag, car, purse, computer desk, etc. I have tried original and cherry and picked up a seasonal one when I saw it this summer--lime, I think.

    They're cheaper than Chapstick, Carmex or Blistex and I even have my husband hooked on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always have a tube of Chapstick with me. I don't use it for everyday wear though. I find it too thick and waxy for that. I live in New England so we get hot summers and cold winters. It's great for outdoors in the winter and the beach in summer (it stays on fairly well in the water). I like the vanilla mint and the Flava Craze ones that come in grape and blue raspberry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to big of a fan of Chapstick. It works okay but I think my lips are so dry I need more moisturizing lipbalms! Good review and PLEASE do more of your Vintage Vault posts! Those are my favorite osts that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still use the Original Chapstick. I love the smell of a freshly opened tube, and the texture on my lips is smooth and creamy. My mother has been a Cherry Chapstick girl for as long as I can remember. In fact, she is so addicted that for Christmas last year, my husband and son bought her about 15 packages of Cherry Chapstick. Unbeknownst to them, my older brother and his daughters did the same thing!! Needless to say, mom's good for awhile!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig