Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, November 17, 2011

Classic Drugstore Beauty Products Revisited: Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream

I'd like to thank so many of you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts about this new series. I was overwhelmed with the amount of feedback I received and I'm so glad that the majority of you are up for something like this! If you missed my original post, this series is all about returning to the classics and seeing if they still live up to today's standards.

For my first post, I thought I'd take a look at a classic facial cleanser that's been around since 1914:

 Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream
(retail: $1.99, 2 oz)

Note: I purchased this 2-oz jar at my local Rite Aid for $1.99, but I believe the full-size jar retails for around $8.

According to Wikipedia, Noxzema's Original Deep Cleansing Cream was created in 1914 and its colbalt blue jar has remained a mainstay in drugstores ever since. From Wikipedia: Originally developed as a sunburn remedy, it is popular among women as a facial cleanser and make-up remover.


I've been using this product every night for a few weeks (you only need a small amount so this 2-oz jar has lasted me quite a while). As you can see, the ingredients include camphor, eucalyptus and menthol, which give it its signature "tingle":


It's been a long time since I used any type of cold cream product, so I forgot about how utterly unique the texture feels when you scoop it out of the jar:


In the above photo, it looks like a very solid product, doesn't it? But when you press your fingers into it, it's quite easy to "break off" a piece, and once you start rubbing it into your skin, it quickly liquifies. This transformation from solid to liquid is just so cool; it's my favorite thing about this product by far.

Sadly, I'm afraid that its unique texture is where my love affair with this product ends. After countless uses, I've come to the conclusion that this cleanser is not for me.

First off, it contains some heavy-duty oils, which coat the skin and enable it to remove makeup. That's great if you wear a lot of makeup, but it's not so great if you like your skin to feel squeaky-clean after using a cleanser. For me, this product is so heavy that even after rinsing repeatedly with water and a face cloth, the water literally beads up on my skin and never quite penetrates through the layer of oil. After using this product, I'm left with skin that feels so coated that I can't possibly conceive of using a moisturizer afterward (which is great if you like a 2-in-1 product but I prefer using a separate nighttime moisturizer). Two days into using this and I felt the uncontrollable urge to follow up with my "normal" cleanser just to try and remove the oily residue that was still on my skin.

I'd also like to state that this product broke out my skin in a few areas, which I attribute to the menthol in the ingredients. For the record, menthol breaks me out in any product, and I knew going into this that this product contained menthol. I guess I just held my breath and hoped for the best. Sadly, I now have a few small acne clusters on my chin and cheeks.

As for how effective it is at removing makeup, I'd say that it did a decent job at removing my foundation, concealer and blush, but not so much my mascara. I don't use waterproof mascara, so this was disappointing. Oh! And don't dare think of getting this product in your eyes because it will STING (there is a warning on the jar which you shouldn't take lightly--trust me on that one).

FINAL VERDICT: The texture of this product is so unique and downright fun to use. However, its classic scent is reminiscent of Vicks Vapo-Rub, and its heavy oil content leaves a coating on the skin that will cause water to bead up and never fully penetrate the product. I imagine that this product was perfect for women of yester-year when makeup products were quite heavy and oil-laden. I can see women in the 1920s, 30s and 40s depending on this product to remove a full face of makeup without the use of water but, in 2011, with so many other effective drugstore makeup removers on the market, I can't see this working for the average gal. Unless of course you've been using it your whole life, and/or have had it passed down from generation to generation. If this is a product that has been in your family for generations and you grew up using it and it works for you, I think that's a beautiful thing. For me personally, I just can't get past the layer of oil it leaves behind, and how difficult it has been to remove that layer using water, a face cloth, or even following up with another cleanser.

Do you or any women in your family use Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream? If so, I would absolutely love to hear about your experiences. Perhaps there's a better technique for using this product that would make it feel less heavy after removal?

SHARE:

24 comments

  1. Sounds a lot like the new Nivea cream that's out. I picked up a small tin from Target and tried it for a few weeks, but it's so strange. It's hard to spread along your face without being "rough", it's greasy, and because of that it broke me out. Boo. I do love the smell of good ole' Noxema, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to use it on my face after I wax the sides of my face. I feel it makes my face less prone to breakouts after waxing.

    I also love the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too love the smell and the texture but that is as far as the love goes haha. When i hit my teens and started getting acne, this is what my mom bought for me and man, did it make it worst! i swore after that i'd never touch the stuff again but then at 18, decided to buy some again! of course after several uses and the gross film it leaves, i learned my lesson all over again on why i shouldn't use haha. Great review! very dead on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a godsend when I have gotten too much sun. I have used this product since the 6th grade, and attribute my decent skin to this product. I do agree that you do feel like it leaves a "residue" but it works well for my skin, and love that this product is still around. Thanks for giving it a minute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to use Noxema back in the day. I'd say in the early 80's (remember Debbie Gibson and The Jets? LOL)

    I loved how it made my face so squeaky clean and I love the refreshing mintiness that it left on my face. It was like a cool breeze, but now, if I were to use it, I don't think I'd like it. Like you said, it's probably too greasy feeling on application.

    I did go back and repurchase it a few years ago because I wanted to see what I liked about it but meh, it just wasn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this eons ago at a friends house and it made me break out something awful. I always associate Noxzema with cover girl makeup, you know the "clean" makeup! I grew up in a small town in KY and I remember how all the "older" girls wore foundation several shades too dark to try and imitate tanned skin, you could smell the Noxzema just sitting beside them on the school bus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember my mom using this on me when I got a really bad sunburn when I was a kid. To this day the smell makes me sick. I had an experience similar to yours when I tried Ponds' Cold Cream as a makeup remover/cleanser. My face never felt "clean" and I broke out. Regular cleansers and then moisturizer are the way to go (for me, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a really bad sunburn early this past summer, and a friend recommended this product. It worked well restoring the moisture balance to my burned skin. Then I shelved it. I had no intention on using for anything else but sunburns. However, I ran out of my normal cleanser one day and decided to take a chance on the Noxzema. It has really worked for my dry skin. I have been using more and more as a treatment as opposed to a nightly facewash. I'll grab the tub, sit on the couch, and massage tons of it into my dehydrated skin until it can't absorbed anymore moisture. I find that I only get that "filmy" feeling when I'm in a rush and don't really work it in. If I don't have time, I stick to my St. Ives or Clean and Clear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've used good old Noxy since I was 10 or 11, and I still use it today (in fact, I just bought a jar this evening). I've never had a problem with oiliness with it, but I will admit I don't have the oiliest skin on earth, and I don't dig my skin feeling squeaky. Cream-type cleansers have always worked best for me - the only foamy one I can tolerate is L'Oreal Go 360 (the cream variety, of course), which I love.

    Definitely seconding not getting it in the eyes. Holy mess, that stuff burns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this stuff! When I was a kid my older sister used it, and I still use it! It works really well for me!(:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember my Mom got this for me when I was about 13 and started to break out a little. Needless to say, it didn't help. My skin just felt oilier. But, that's what she used as a teen, so she thought it would work for me. It's hard to believe this has been around for so long. It is great for sunburns, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know G now that I think about it, I used this ALL THE TIME when I was a teenager fighting those stubborn teen breakouts, because it was always recommended by mom's and ladies at the drugstore, but WHY? It feels nice on your skin, but the menthol and other oils are not good for breakouts, and quite frankly, noxzema didn't help my breakouts at all when I was a teen. But all the ads kept promoting this as a good anti-breakout cleanser. I'll make sure NOT to recommend this to my daughter when she's old enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use it as a makeup remover. I feel that it seems to dissolve the makeup less harshly than me trying to scrub it off--it kinda gives me a headstart. THEN, I use a regular cleanser. If I used this alone, I'd break out so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've bought jars of this occasionally just to have on hand to SMELL it! Hah! I love the way it smells. Does bring back memories...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review & I fully agree with your pros & cons! I actually think they changed the formula since back in the day too...

    ReplyDelete
  16. in my family we kept big jars of it on hand for sunburn emergencies, but we didn't actually use it on our faces other than that. it feels so good when you have a bad burn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. <3, <3, <3!! This has been my skin's BFF since I was 14 years old. I still pass for 10 years younger than I am.
    When I smell Noxzema, I know it is time to wash the day off my face, sit down for a little daily reflection and relax!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have very oily and acne prone skin, and i have used noxzema for a few years now, and i must say it has been the best face cleanser ever for me. it is important that you leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing, but it is very important as well to use a toner (like witch hazel), remove your make up first with a very good make up remover cloth (this will help to remove dead cells and residue off your skin, and help with the texture), and get monthly facials (even if you have to sacrifice some outings). I do still get breakouts, often, but the texture and appearance of the skin in general is very very good, and i am 28 and have absolutely no lines whatsoever. breakouts in acne prone skin i believe is a curse that will never go away, at last whilst one is young. but this product is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This product is GREAT ONLY IF YOU HAVE DRY SKIN!! NOT OILY SKIN based on my experience i have normal to dry so all the oils in this product makes my skin happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, the smell of this cream is one of my favorite smells in the WORLD!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It doesn't leave my skin feeling oily after use. And I do use a separate night time moisturizer and day moisturizer as well. My skin feels squeaky clean after I cleanse with Noxzema. The only thing I do not like is that sometimes the jars contain a liquid version. I hate liquid cleansers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My grandmother used Noxzema every night as a cleanser and every morning as a moisturizer every day for her entire life. She had the softest, smoothest skin of any 89 year old you'll ever meet. I used it as a teen but broke out. Now that I am almost 50, I'm ready to try it again as my skin has become dry. Love the smell since it reminds me of my Grammy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used Noxema a lot when i was younger. Works great and inexpensive. I recently rediscovered it and am in love all over again. I was surprised that no one mentioned that after a hard shift at work it feels great to smear it all over feet and legs and massage it in. When almost dry take a shower and wash it off. Careful it makes shower slippery! But my feet and legs feel energized and the smaller calluses wash right off! So worth the price. I'm looking for more new uses now. As a hard working woman I need all the pampering I can get. And it's all in one jar. Heard it is also great to dab on bug bites to stop itch, but I haven't needed that recently.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Noxzema. I used it on and off as an acne-faced teen and didn't like it. I went, instead for cleansers with exfoliating microbeads and left my skin squeaky clean, thinking that was the best thing for acne. Now that I'm an adult, I realize that all those years of stripping and overexfoliating my skin have led to premature aging and enlarged pores. I now use Noxzema every night as a mask, let it dry and then rinse off. It's fantastic at removing make-up. It's also helped to fade hyperpigmentation marks from old breakouts. No, it doesn't leave the skin feeling squeaky clean, but healthy skin isn't supposed to feel that way.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig