Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A blueberry holo glitter jelly sandwich

My obsession with "jelly sandwiches" began when I first saw the beautiful creations of my pal Niki. She's the master of perfectly layering glitter in between coats of sheer jelly polishes. If done correctly, the glitter will appear as if it's suspended in jelly (aka, a jelly sandwich) which I LOVE. Check out Niki's mani here for a beautiful example.

Niki's post inspired me to create my own green jelly sandwich, which you can see here. But the other day I was looking at my bottle of NYX Girls Turks and Caicos (currently on sale over at Cherry Culture) and thought, "What kind of sandwich can I make with this bad boy?"

Turks and Caicos is a royal blue jelly packed with round holo glitter and, if you ask me, it's just itching to be part of a jelly sandwich.


So I went through my stash and decided to use the following four polishes for a bling-tastic holo glitter jelly sandwich extravaganza!



Wet n Wild Bird Bath (baby blue pastel creme)
NYX Girls Turks and Caicos (royal blue jelly with round holo glitter)
Ruby Kisses Baby Blue (teal blue micro-glitter in a clear base)
Out The Door Top Coat in Northern Lights (holographic)

Note: I didn't take pictures throughout the process, so all of the following photos are of the end result. But I'll talk you through the steps (layers):


I started with a base coat of Wet n Wild Bird Bath. This was basically just to save time in case the other polishes I was using were too translucent to show any real color (aside from glitter). The last thing I wanted was ten layers of polish on my nails, so this step probably saved me a few extra layers of jelly.


My camera freaked out with all the glitter so apologies for the blurry photos. Anyway, the next layer was NYX Girls Turks and Caicos.


Then I applied a layer of Ruby Kisses Baby Blue, because I wasn't content with just having big, round glitter particles in this mani. I wanted dimension, so I though teal blue micro-glitter would give it more depth and bling.


I followed that up with another layer of Turks and Caicos for more jelly.


And then, because you can never have too much holo, I finished it off with a layer of Out The Door Northern Lights Holographic Top Coat.


In the above picture, you can see the round holo glitter (from Turks and Caicos) better, and I think you can see how it appears to be suspended in the blue jelly. Neat!


And here's a pic taken with flash that gives you a better idea of the sparkle in this mani. In person it's so sparkly and multi-dimensional that I had a hard time not staring at my nails all day. Even Mr. G said, "Wow, I usually don't go for your glitter nails but THAT one is super cool." Success!

Have you ever made a "jelly sandwich"?

Some of the polishes featured in this post were given to Nouveau Cheap for previous reviews.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Beautiful! I love your blog, so many great ideas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so cute. i never have patience to do much to my nails

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG so cool! I've never heard of this jelly stuff you speak of before! :D I am in awe! I checked out your first post where you did the green one & read through your excellent directions. I still have one question though -- what specifically constitutes a nail polish as "jelly"? Can you tell from the bottle or is it only after you try to apply it that you realize this? I really would love to try it! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty!! If I have sometime this weekend (hahaha) I just may try it with a different color set. I think I maybe able to do this with pinks in my stash! Hope you have some tin foil ready for removal!! LOL. G.; do you remember back in the day a polish remover that was especially for glitter polish? you would stick your finger in the plastic jar and there was a little brush in it to help get all the glitter off!? Wish they were still around...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you get pretty good wear out of jelly sandwiches or do they chip easily?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you use to get all of this off? I have had a hard time finding a good polish remove for glitter polishes. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if you've missed my mentions in the past, but the ONLY method I use for removing glitters is the Foil Method. You can go to Pink Sith's blog and search for Foil Method for a great tutorial (I've linked to it so many times on my blog that I should have the URL memorized but I don't. lol!!).

      Hope that helps! :)

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig