Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, August 21, 2011

Want a bite of my Green Jello Jelly Sandwich?

Thanks so much for all of your well-wishes over the past few days! I'm feeling a bit better today so I've got a few posts to share with you, and hopefully tomorrow I'll be back to posting as usual (I've still got tons of new product pics to share!).

When I was a kid, I was fascinated with Jello, and I especially loved the look of fruit suspended in Jello. Heck, I still love the look of fruit suspended in Jello:


If you love looking at photos of fruit (and other things) suspended in translucent, colorful Jello, you must check out the The Jello Mold Mistress of Brooklyn. I'm absolutely obsessed with her site and especially these cherry bombs

Why am I telling you this? Stay with me here...

If you're like me and you're obsessed with the look of Jello and want to achieve this look on your nails, the closest thing you can do is to use a jelly polish (a colored polish that has a jelly-like, "squishy" look to it--like Jello). But nail bloggers have taken it a step future with the term "jelly sandwich". A jelly sandwich is when you layer a glitter polish in between coats of jelly polish. This technique makes it look like the glitter is suspended (think of fruit inside Jello)!

I'm not sure who originated the jelly sandwich, but I'd like to personally thank him/her for giving me a reason to LOVE all of my sheer, jelly polishes again. In fact, a polish I used to despise for being so sheer (Ruby Kisses Neon Green) is now a polish I covet because it's so perfect for a jelly sandwich.

But my serious inspiration for my jelly sandwich tribute to green Jello is this amazing mani that Niki did a while back. Yummy!! I too, own NYX Girls Enchanted Forest, so I sifted through my stash for a sheer green jelly and BINGO, I remembered Ruby Kisses Neon Green.

For my Green Jello Jelly Sandwich, I used the following polishes:

 Ruby Kisses Neon Green, NYX Girls Enchanted Forest, CQ Slate
 and Essie Good To Go top coat

I first applied a layer of RK Neon Green to all my nails, except for the accent nail. For the accent nail, I used CQ Slate.

Then I applied a layer of NYX Enchanted Forest to all of my nails, followed by another coat of Neon Green. THEN, I applied another coat of Enchanted Forest, followed by a final coat of Neon Green.  I finished the whole thing off with a thick layer of Essie top coat.

Here's the result:





The thick layer of Essie top coat turned out to be a bad idea because, as you can see, it bubbled. I'd suggest a thinner layer of top coat if you want to try this look.

 The accent nail.


NYX Girls Enchanted Forest is a gorgeous green glitter polish on its own or used as a top coat, but using it in a jelly sandwich truly gives it a whole other dimension. I wish you could see this mani in person--it's mesmerizing!

If you want to try a jelly sandwich for yourself, just grab a sheer jelly polish and try to find a glitter polish in a coordinating color. Use alternating layers until you're satisfied with the look, and then use a good quick-dry top coat to lock everything in.

Bon Appétit!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Niiice!

    I like jelly sandwiches. And these look yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. freak'n LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely!! I've been wanting to do this with brown or orange, coral or fuchsia real bad. Can you suggest some good jellies? I'm not sure I really understand what's a sheer and what's a jelly? It's hard for me to tell. I figure if it has a lot of shine, it must be a jelly, but honestly, I think I'm clueless....and rambling, sorry. :). I love the jello picture you showed cuz it looks so much like your mani!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh how interesting! I have Elle's Spell but I can't think of what "bread" to use with it...

    Glad you're feeling better too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Jelly sandwiches" is a great term, hahaha! Love this idea - and I love that CQ Slate shade. I picked it up on a whim at Rite Aid a few weeks ago and fell in love. It's definitely going to be a fall staple :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that.is.AWESOME!!!!!!!

    And to think I almost didn't open up the full post cause I thought you'd gone crazy talking about green jello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow!!! I am so going to try this!!! Looks so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This manicure is awesome!!! I totally got inspired after seeing it I had to do my own! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That'd be a good St.Patrick's day nail. that's what I was thinking of the entire time I was reading this :P Now i want some jell-o :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute jelly sandwich! Glad I stumbled onto this post when looking for something else on your site. That Jello website looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig