Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, October 3, 2011

Fright Night Phantom: a gray comparison

When I first spotted the Fright Night Claw Polish display at a local CVS, I knew that Phantom had to come home with me. It's a beautiful medium gray that has little iridescent flecks running through it:

Fright Night Claw Polish in Phantom
(retail: $3.99 at CVS 0.34 oz)

FYI, there are six shades of Claw Polish that have been released this year. You can visit the Fight Night Website here to view all six shades (click on the "claws" to see each shade and turn down your speakers!). The display I spotted contained five of the six shades (Bloodshed, the red creme, was the only one missing).

Also, after digging around the internet, I found a post from last year which shows you the shades that were available for Halloween 2010. It appears that Phantom is new for 2011.



The following swatches were taken after three coats of Phantom and no top coat:





The iridescent flecks give Phantom this lovely sheen that really sets it apart from other grays in my collection.

I thought it might help you to see how Phantom looks when swatched next to some other grays, just for perspective. I've been doing this a lot lately with my nail posts in the hopes that, once you see a color next to other similar colors, it might give you a better idea of whether or not you think you might "need" a particular shade.




I thought that OPI Brand New Skates might be a possible dupe, but the OPI shade has a gold sheen to it and it's an overall cooler gray (plus, it's much more sheer).


Number of coats used for each "nail":

OPI: 4
Kleancolor: 2
Fright Night: 3
RGB: 2
China Glaze: 3

I have other grays in my stash, but I just grabbed the ones I thought might bring the best perspective to the color of Phantom. Honestly though, after going through my stash, I just don't have another shade like Phantom, so I'm glad I bought it.

I've heard from some of you that other Fright Night polishes tend to stain your nails, so I want to let you know that I didn't experience any staining with Phantom. It also seems to wear like iron for me--I actually TRIED to peel and pick at it the other day and it wouldn't budge (I was testing it without any base coat though, so if you use a base coat your results may vary).

For a list of retailers that carry Fright Night products, click here.

Do you own any Fright Night Claw Polishes? If so, what are some of your favorite shades?

Some of the products featured in this post were given to Nouveau Cheap for previous reviews.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Pretty color! I love the shape of your nails, and how thick they look. Do have acrylic, or gel on them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like a gray that has flecks of shimmer in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the nail polish comparisons! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: Will you do a comparison of Autumn Leaves and some of the reader-suggested potential dupes (Essie Wrapped in Rubies, Confetti Dressed to the Nines, Sally Hansen Haute Chocolate are the ones I remember off the top of my head)? I am absolutely dying to see if any of those are dupes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT comparison! I really appreciate it when you do them; it is VERY helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am planning to get Phantom as soon as I find it at the store. I feel that grey is one shade that is really missing from my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm DYING to get my hands on this color!!!! I've been to 4 CVS's and still can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you happen to know how Phantom compares to Funky Fingers Elephunk? I'm on the fence about buying Phantom because I think it might be a dupe for Elephunk (and also because Phantom is only available to me in a 2-pack at Target which includes Sinister for $5.89, and I already have Sinister). Thanks for the great comparisons and swatches! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig