Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, September 18, 2011

Review: Heidi Klum Shine

Ever since I fell in love with Halle by Halle Berry, I've been kind of a sucker for celebrity fragrances that you can purchase at the drugstore. So when the folks at Rite Aid presented me with the opportunity to receive a sample of Heidi Klum's new fragrance, Shine, I couldn't say no.

Heidi Klum Shine eau de toilette
(retail: $17, 0.5 oz)

When asked why Ms. Klum named her first fragrance "Shine", she replied:

"My husband [singer Seal] had a little bit to do with it. I get dressed a lot for my husband. A lot of times he'd say, "You're beautiful. You shine." It's a very beautiful word, a positive word."



The bottle itself evokes "shine" to me. It seems to radiate light and spread it outward, which I find quite pretty.


Heidi Klum on the scent of Shine:

"I didn't want something that was super-sweet. I wanted sensual. That was my main word. I didn't want clean. I wanted to smell like a woman. I wanted something that is long-lasting but not hovering."

Top notes: Mandarin, Pink Peppercorn, Pear Williams
Heart notes: Mimosa Absolute, Muguet (Lily-of-the-valley), Sunflower
Dry down: Vanilla, Tonka Bean Venezuela, Musk Cosmone

From the moment I first smelled this fragrance, it felt...familiar. I can't put my finger on it, but I know I've smelled a fragrance similar to this in the past, and I'm pretty sure it was something at the department store, not drugstore. Anyway, for me, Shine comes across as more of an oriental floral type of fragrance. It's got the rich floral notes of sunflower and muguet, but the pink peppercorn gives it spiciness as well. The vanilla in this fragrance seems to give it a bit of a smoothness and creaminess the longer it's on my skin, but the overall feel that I get when I wear it is...sophisticated and yes, sensual.

In my opinion, this isn't a youthful, airy, daytime fragrance (not that it claims to be). It confused me a little because, given its name, I immediately thought Shine was going to be light, uplifting and maybe even a little bit bubbly. It's actually quite the opposite and feels more like a cold-weather fragrance that would pair well with scarves and mittens rather than sundresses and straw hats. 

FINAL VERDICT: Given what Heidi Klum tried to achieve with this fragrance, I'd say she absolutely got what she wanted. If you're generally attracted to spicy florals and sensual fragrances that seem made for cold weather, this might be worth a sniff the next time you're at the drugstore. Everyone's chemistry is different, but I found this fragrance to wear close to the skin (it doesn't enter the room before I do), which is exactly what I like when it comes to fragrances of this nature. I can get about 5-6 hours of wear from Shine before it becomes very faint on my skin, and I can foresee the 0.5 oz bottle lasting me quite a long time.

Heidi Klum Shine is now available at Rite Aid and other mass-market retailers across the nation. For more information, visit heidiklumfragrance.com.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. "Shine" sounds splendid! Can't wait to try it out.

    p.s. your new logo is *awesome*. Love the piggy bank! I have to admit I grew tired of the color scheme as it was before, really quickly. Big improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it sold only at drugstores? cuz they dont have testers and i refuse to buy a fragrance without testing it on. ^^~ and ditto on the new logo. it looks so cute! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to try this perfume. Sounds great. Love the new logo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so this should be $10 off at walgreens this week, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Isabella, actually, the drugstores do have testers. My local Rite Aid has a tester of this on the display.

    Also, for what it's worth, my CVS has a tester almost for every Essence of Beauty product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8.79 at Walgreens this week. For a full bottle. It's not bad. Different but nice! I love your review. Dead on.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig