Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, February 20, 2011

A little tip for using customer rewards...

I'm starting a new feature on Nouveau Cheap called "Tip of the Day". This feature will address popular issues and concerns regarding drugstore shopping or anything else pertinent to this blog. I'd like to kick things off with a popular drugstore concern that I hear quite often. 


Several of you have expressed concern about forgetting that you have customer rewards from CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens, and not redeeming them before they expire. So today I'd like to give you my own tip that I use to ensure that I never, ever forget I have Extra Bucks, (CVS) Register Rewards (Walgreens) or +UP Rewards (Rite Aid), that need to be used.

Chances are, I'm not going into my local drugstore to buy just one product. So I plan strategically and look at EVERYTHING that's on sale for that week. I always say this, but the best place (in my opinion) to see what's on tap for the weeks to come is the I Heart websites. The owner of these sites has the weekly fliers far in advance (several weeks ahead) so you can plan your shopping trips with ease:

Here's a quick example of how I would do my shopping based on the sales this week at CVS:

This week, if you spend $10 on CoverGirl cosmetics, you get $3 in Extra Bucks. I would buy a Simply Ageless blush, which I believe retails for $11.99 (don't quote me on that).

I would also buy the following items that are on sale this week: 

Cadbury Eggs, $0.75 with $0.75 Extra Bucks

Listerine mouthwash, $3.99 with $1 Extra Buck

Caliber 100% Tree-Free printer paper BOGOFREE (I'm not sure of the price, but let's just say they're $5 per ream of paper)

When I walk up to the register, I would immediately say to the cashier: "I'd like to pay for these items in two separate transactions, please."

First I would purchase the CoverGirl blush, Cadbury Eggs and Listerine mouthwash.

After paying for this transaction, I would receive a total of $4.75 in Extra Bucks on my receipt.

While the cashier is ringing up my SECOND transaction (the printer paper, which is BOGOFREE), I would be busy tearing the Extra Bucks from the receipt of my first transaction. I would give the cashier my $4.75 Extra Bucks, and whatever sales tax or balance is remaining after the Extra Bucks have been deducted.

So, essentially, if the price of the paper is around $5 per ream, I'd be getting two reams of printer paper for very close to free.

Of course it would be even better if I had manufacturer's coupons and/or  store coupons to use during these transactions as well, but this is just an example.

In summary: when you make a purchase and you receive Register Rewards, Extra Bucks or +UP Rewards, don't be afraid to let your cashier know you'd like to pay for your items in two separate transactions! This way, you will never, ever forgot that you have Extra Bucks, etc. lying around. If you use them on the spot, for other things you need, you'll always take full advantage of these types of deals.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions!
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Another good website to look at is The Krazy Coupon Lady. She haa different scenarioes u can use in the drugstore and she also has links to coupons that are available for the products. She will usually post about sales a couple of days before Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this all the time (ask for 2 separate transactions). I just kind of laugh and tell the cashier "if I don't use it now, I'll accidentally throw it away with my receipts!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work at Target, and a lot of people do this same thing with our gift cards since we often run sales where you get a gift card when you buy certain high-dollar items or X number of selected products. They'll buy the gift card offer items first, then do a separate transaction for any other items they have and use the gift card(s) on that purchase.

    It's a good strategy especially if you tend to forget about gift cards when they get buried in your purse/wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ashwillis83: Oooh, thanks so much for the tip! I'll definitely check out that site. I love reading other people's scenarios. :)

    JenJen: Girlie, I just have to tell you that I'm still LOL'ing over your comment on my Suave mousse post. I seriously laughed so hard when I read that--it totally made my day. :) And I'm so glad you do this too--what's sad is that I don't even have to give my cashiers a reason anymore--they know before I even take my products out of the basket. lol!

    schehrezhad: Thank you!! I actually have done that at Target with those gift cards too! lol! And I agree--if I don't use them immediately, I WILL forget them. Nothing worse than seeing expired gift cards or extra bucks in my wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use my Extra Bucks and Register Rewards on the same day too! Sure beats forgetting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Si Si: So glad to hear you do this too! It really helps, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a "go to" girl at the beauty counter at Wags and she is so up on the rewards, that she always asks if i want the items rung (rang?lol) seperately to use the rewards coupon that will print! Gotta love an on the ball cashier! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig