Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, October 8, 2010

There has to be a limit to this....

I was a tween once. I get it. My very first celebrity crush was Shaun Cassidy, and I was eight years old. For those of you too young to remember Shaun Cassidy, he was a SUPER popular singer and actor in the late 70s and well, um, he looked A LOT like Justin Bieber:


Same doe eyes, same side-swept bangs, same delicate look about him. So really, I get it. I totally understand "Bieber Fever" because I swear if you asked me when I was eight or nine or ten years old, I would have told you that I'd love Shaun Cassidy until the end of time and nothing would ever change that.

But there has to be a line somewhere that should never be crossed. And I think I just found that line. Justin Bieber nail polish? I mean, seriously?

Nicole by OPI is set to release the "One Less Lonely Girl" collection this February and, according to Glamour.com it will include the following six shades:

One Less Lonely Glitter (pale purple), Prized Possession Purple (grape), Give Me The First Dance (silver), Me + Blue (metallic blue), OMB! (metallic red), and Step 2 the Beat of my Heart (heart shaped specks).

Something tells me that even my ten-year-old-self, back in 1980, would have screamed, "You've got to be kidding!" if the powers-that-be were to have released a Shaun Cassidy Nail Polish Collection. The main reason I say this is because, it just doesn't feel right to release a line of nail polish based on a kid who probably doesn't care, or know a thing about nail polish (this is just my own assumption and I could definitely be wrong).

I'll play devil's advocate here and say, "Well, it's the songs that are inspiring the nail polish shades." Um, ok? Do you automatically think of pretty colors to adorn your nails when you hear a Justin Bieber song? Maybe you do! I don't, but maybe I'm in the minority here. Heck, I don't think of pretty nail colors when I see clips of Gossip Girl, but I understand a Gossip Girl nail color collection way more than I do a Justin Bieber nail polish collection.

Or maybe I'm just officially too old to "get it" at all.

Am I wrong here? Do you think this is a bit too much? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this most-pressing matter!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I can't stand Bieber. :( BUT, I get the whole teen idol thing. I LOVED Duran Duran back in the day, and, later, NKOTB. But I'm with you on this. I don't even think I'm makeup-obsessed 9 year old self would have been raiding the local CVS for Duran Duran "Rio"-inspired Lip Gloss. That didn't actually exist, did it? I mean, you never know. Those guys wore a LOT of makeup back then... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. meredithelaine: See, even a Duran Duran lip gloss collection would make more sense than a Bieber nail polish collection! Because, you're right, those guys wore A LOT of makeup. Wow, come to think of it, I probably would have totally been down with wearing a "Nick Rhodes Rose" lip gloss or a "John Taylor Taupe" eyeshadow. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is insanity.

    my childhood crush - well, crushes - were Nsync. But i swear, if even THEY had something put out like this ("a color for each bandmember!"), i would have laughed out loud. makes NO sense at ALL!!!

    makes companies who do things like this just look plain desperate. at least Katy Perry WEARS nail polish! yeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as the Almighty Dollar rules the world, we'll have stuff like this. It will sell boatloads of polish to tweens who may never have purchased OPI before. OPI wants to make a few bucks and they've found another avenue to do it. I think it's brilliant, from that perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enough is enough. This is just ridiculous! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's REALLY wrong is that he's already got a biopic in the works. He's barely out of puberty; I doubt there's enough material from his life to properly fill a film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm mostly amused (bemused??)... I mean, how is he going to endorse nail polish. o.O It just doesn't make sense. I'd buy it from a guy who actually WORE polish, like Adam Lambert.

    ...

    Actually, now that I've mentioned it, I am kind of lemming a Glambert collection, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't get it either! My comment when I saw this on MUA was "I thought April Fool's Day was 6 months ago?!" Having said that, One Less Lonely Glitter looks really pretty from the promo pic. I'm not sure if I could bring myself to buy it though - too embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard about this a few days ago. i hadn't had a good laugh like that in a while...

    while i also understand the teen idol thing, I can't help but think "REALLY?"

    good thing i don't like any of the colors. even if i did, i wouldn't buy them anyway :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. thats insane!! i just found out the other day they are making a justin beiber movie about his life! ABOUT HIS LIFE!!!! Hes like 5! what is his life

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could get it considering I grew up in the late 90s, and that was pretty ridiculous. I had my spice girls wallet, dolls, and action figures. I wore mary-kate and ashley clothes. Usually I had things that had to do with girls though. I never went to buy N'SYNC action figures or dolls, though they must have existed. I would prefer Britney Spears polish to Backstreet Boys nail polish because I wouldn't have wanted to be like a backstreet boy. I think these might not be as successful as they would be with a popular female inspiring the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha! what a funny post, and i hear ya. we were watching bieber on something the other night and my homie and i decided that we're just too old to get it--and we knew this was especially true when we're saying things like, "that young man lacks charisma!" oy vey. but then again, i was a big fan of jon knight of NKOTB and probably would have bought an entire line of nail polishes inspired by his pink oxfords. sillyness... but i guess they have to make as much money off this child while he's still a viable commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely agree that this is too much - I understand why Nicole by OPI is doing it, but I just think it's ridiculous...*headdesk*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess I'm the odd one out. LOL! The money is going to charity. However, as long as I like the polish in the bottle, I don't care who is selling it. I mean the JB collection has some really pretty colors in it. Now, if the bottles had his face on them, I would feel kinda silly buying them. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig