Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Review: Olay Advanced Healing Intensive Lotion

When a lotion says "fragrance free" on the bottle, I always get excited that there won't be ANY fragrance to the formula. But then I remember that "fragrance free" doesn't mean there is zero fragrance; it just means that the manufacturer has not added fragrance to the formula. So in theory, what you smell when you use a "fragrance free" lotion are the actual ingredients, with no added fragrance oils, etc.

Now, sometimes when I use fragrance-free lotions, the ingredients I smell are still kind of strong and, perhaps, a bit off-putting (who likes a strong chemical smell to their lotion, right?). But in the case of Olay Advanced Healing Intensive Lotion (formerly Olay Quench Advanced Healing), I find the scent of the ingredients to be so light that I think this lotion might be the closest I've come to a truly unscented drugstore lotion.
Olay Advanced Healing Intensive Lotion
(retail: around $8, 11.8 oz)
  
When I received this lotion for review recently, I was immediately drawn to the words "advanced healing" and "fragrance free" on the bottle.  My skin has really been acting up in this cold weather we're currently having in Southern California, and I keep getting cases of "the itchies" on my arms, legs and torso. Whenever there's a change in the weather (from warm to cold or cold to warm) my skin really lets me know it! I feel like I could scratch and scratch and never be satisfied, and my skin is just calling out: "Moisturize me!" 

But here's the thing: when my skin is dry, itchy and sensitive like this, I don't like to use a lotion that has a high fragrance content because, for me, lotions with a lot of fragrance in them can do more harm than good when my skin is acting up.  Another benefit of using a fragrance-free lotion is that it won't conflict with your perfume, body mist, etc. So if you don't have a lotion that works well with the fragrance you're going to wear, a truly fragrance-free lotion is wonderful to have on hand.

Olay Advanced Healing Intensive Lotion is the closest I've come to finding a truly fragrance-free lotion at the drugstore. When I put it on, I can detect a tiny hint of the base, but once it absorbs into my skin, it seems to disappear quickly. In fact, the other day I used some scented hand soap to wash my hands, and immediately applied this lotion afterward. When I went to sniff my hands, all I could smell was the fragrance of the hand soap! I am quite impressed that the fragrance of this lotion is so light that it allows my hand soap fragrance to come through undisturbed.


Like I mentioned at the top of this review, my skin has really been acting up lately, and I've been very pleased with the way this lotion makes my skin feel. I apply it right after my shower (as is suggested on the bottle) and I find it very easy to apply because the formula is not too thick, yet it's not super thin or watery.  It glides very easily across my skin, and I find that it absorbs quickly while at the same time leaving a nice, soft, protective coating on my skin that's not sticky or greasy. My skin just feels very soft and hydrated after I use this lotion.

As you can see in the pic above, you may see increased results the longer you use this lotion. I can't speak to those claims, because I tend to use this lotion specifically when my skin is acting up (hey, I love my scented lotions, what can I say?) but what I can tell you is that it really does the trick when my skin is dry and itchy. I get immediate relief that lasts throughout the day, no problem.

Would I suggest this lotion for severely dry skin (cracked heels or elbows)? Probably not. I don't think it's thick or moisturizing enough for problem areas that need a lot of help. But I would recommend it as an overall body lotion if you suffer from seasonal "itches" and moderately dry skin that needs help. For me, it's light enough to use all over my body, but it's got enough power to moisturize with a lasting effect. It's not one of those lotions that you apply and an hour later your skin is back to dry and itchy again. I can feel this lotion doing its job all day, which is exactly what I want from a good body lotion.

PS: This is the same lotion that comes in a handy travel-sized tube when you purchase the Venus Bikini Kit that I reviewed here.

Have you tried Olay Advanced Healing Intensive Lotion? What do you think of it? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig