Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Review: Items from the limited edition NYC Berry Bloom Collection

A huge thanks to all of you who cast votes last week--I listened to what you said you'd like me to review from the new limited edition NYC Berry Blossom collection (click here for pics of the display if you missed it) and here's what I purchased:


As many of you know, I had three $1 NYC coupons from this month's All You Magazine (again, pick that up before you head out to buy any of these goodies!) and I also had $1 in Rite Aid +UP Rewards that I completely forgot about, which meant that I was able to purchase four items instead of three. Yay!

So let's start with the nail polish:

NYC In a New York Color Minute Nail Color in Peony (retail: $1.99)

I have this weird feeling that the bottles in this collection were mislabeled. There are two polish shades: "Peony" and "Mulberry Frost".  Is it just me, or does the above shade look more like a Mulberry Frost to you than a Peony? Considering that the other shade is a hot pink creme, I REALLY think they might have mislabeled these. Mulberry Frost just seems way more appropriate to name a shimmery plummish-purple, right? And Peony seems very fitting for a hot pink creme.  Huh.

Anyway, whatever this shade is called, I LOVE it. It totally reminds me of a Christian Dior nail polish shade that I was OBSESSED with in the 90s (I've been trying to remember the name of that shade for a week now and I just can't recall it). Be sure to enlarge the above collage to really see how pretty the shimmer is in this one. It's truly a mouthwatering purple-plum-berry. Oh, and it only required two coats for perfect opacity.

Next up:

NYC Eye Dust Loose Powder in Wild Orchid (retail: $2.99)

Oh boy. There had to be a stinker in the bunch, right?  I'm very sad to say that I just cannot make this shadow work for me. First of all, the roller ball works alright, but in order to get the swatches you see above, I had to roll the roller back and forth several times in order for enough pigment to appear on my skin. And here's the thing--you have to roll it in a straight line, or else the color comes out really spotty and inconsistent. So trying to roll this shadow on my eyelids was a complete mess. There's not a lot of fallout, but it's just very inconsistent. And the pigment itself is very fine and dry, so it's hard to work with. 

Also, when I finally had enough of the pigment on my lids, the minute I used my finger or a brush to spread it around and blend it, it totally disappeared! I mean, it goes from pigmented to sheer to invisible in a matter of seconds.  Boo!! Such a bummer too, because I really love this shade.  I just can't find a way to make this one work. I would actually just pry the roller ball off completely if I thought the pigment was worth it. But since it's so dry and hard to work with--I think this is going straight back to drugstore.

Next up:

NYC Cheek Glow Powder Blush in Cherry Blossom (retail: $2.99)

I don't have a lot of true bubblegum-pink blushes in my blush collection (I'm more of an orange/bronze/peach kinda gal) so I was super excited to wear this one.  It's beautiful on (the shimmer is ever-so-slight and barely noticeable on me) but unlike the core collection NYC powder blushes (which for me have awesome pigmentation and staying power) this one seemed to fade a bit more quickly on my skin.  Also, the pigmentation wasn't as intense as I thought it would be, but I was able to build for more intensity and after several swipes with my blush brush, I got the color level exactly where I wanted it to be on my cheeks.  I guess I was just hoping this would be a lasts-all-day-even-on-my-oily-skin type of blush, but so far it lasts about four hours on me before I start to see fading (granted, I've only worn it three times, so there is still hope).

And now for the ROCKSTAR of the Berry Bloom collection:

NYC Rose Lip Gloss in Peony Kiss (retail: $2.99)

 I could just pretty much reduce this review down to the following sentence and be done with it: 

GO OUT AND BUY THIS NOW.  

But that wouldn't be very fun (or informative) would it? So let me just tell you that NYC's description of this gloss is right on the money:

Rose lip gloss ($2.99): This product provides the coverage of a lipstick with the shine of a gloss with lush berry lip shades embossed with a rose pattern. Available shades: Rose kiss and peony kiss.

It truly does provide the coverage of a lipstick! I mean, complete opacity with just one swipe on the lips! And it's very smooth and moisturizing as well. My favorite thing about this gloss is that it wears down to a beautiful, very natural-looking stain on the lips, which is just so pretty. The shade I purchased, Peony Kiss, really reminds me of a Bobbi Brown shade I own (I'll have to dig that out and do a dupe comparison). In my photos it looks really orangey-terracotta, but in real life it's more of a deep, warm reddish-berry-brown. For my complexion it's ideal because when it put it on, I feel like my face just instantly glows (don't you LOVE it when that happens?). I seriously cannot recommend this one enough.

Oh, and in case any of you were wondering, the "petals" on this gloss are pretty firm, so when you press your finger on them, they don't smoosh down and collapse. They pretty much hold their shape, which is an added bonus. For $2.99, you just can't go wrong.

So, what do you think? Are you excited to pick up anything from this collection? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

26 comments

  1. Thanks for the reviews :D I can't wait to get the lip gloss in Peony it looks great on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. bummer about the e/s. that lippie is killer on you! so pretty! you have the best lips. LOL Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping that you would review this collection because I have all those coupons and I pretty much own everything from the core collection that I would want at the moment. I love the nail polish color and I was pleasantly surprised at how pigmented the lip gloss is. Often the solid type like that are not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This helps sooo much! I'm def getting the gloss and that polish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want that Rose lip gloss so bad!!! I can't find it anywhere near me though :( I checked my local Rite Aid and no luck! Do you have any tips or info on finding it? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That polish does look more like a Mulberry Frost. Either way, it's gorgeous and I must have it in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was scratching my head over the nail polishes as well. A creme that's not a creme, and a frost that's not a frost? I thought mine were mislabeled as well but I guess that's just how NYC rolls. I have a shimmery duochrome polish from their 99 cent line which they insist on calling a Creme :P

    I had completely decided against buying the rose lip glosses but after reading your rave review I'm rethinking that decision. I have an NYC coupon and may just have to get Peony on my next shopping trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The nail polish is absolutely gorgeous!! I will be using my coupons on that and the lipgloss.

    The eyeshadow reminds me of the old Maybelline eyeshadow rollers. They absolutely sucked in the roller, but applied better when you removed the "roller ball" and could apply it directly with a brush.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow those are absolutely GORGEOUS! I love the blush, have an instant lemming with the nail polish, and that gloss is beautiful too! I know what I'll be looking for next time I'm out! Thank you so much for posting - they are gorgeous, and just perfect for a pick me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A shame the loose powder roller was a stinker. The swatched color looks nice too. Yes, Boo!!!

    The lipgloss reminds me of a 4 rose palette I got at Forever 21. I got a pink palette and a neutral one. I wonder if they have the same consistency. It does sound the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, I was about to say how I loved that nail polish but that lip gloss stole the show! I MUST have it! Its sooo pretty! And its not sheer? Win!
    I love the nail polish too, but that lip gloss...wow.s

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that nailpolish, it is very pretty and great for fall. The gloss looks great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm...it seems that the nail polish improved. And the blush, I'm not too surprised at, I have 2 of their normal blushes, and it doesn't even show up on my skin...after the 42nd swipe, I see something then it fades within minutes *sigh*

    But at least the gloss worked out well =D

    Question: is it airtight? Because you wouldn't want that to dry out =O

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most of the stuff looks great..can't wait to check out other shades

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so want to see these in person but haven't found them in any of my stores yet!
    I never understood the concept of a loose shadow with a roller ball. Seems illogical. I remember having one in that sort of packaging many years ago and I ended up prying out the roller and putting the shadow in a jar :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cant believe it has taken me so long to find this blog. Love the nail polish xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What does it feel like when you use the rollerball applicator? It seems like it would be really uncomfortable to roll something on your eyelid.

    That gloss looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Disappointed about the other stuff, but *totally* happy that the lip gloss lived up to my idea of it. I'm off to CVS today! Hopefully they'll have it. My area doesn't always get these displays in a timely fashion.

    Btw, I purchased an NYC gloss (the tube ones that resemble UD's ultraglide?) and love it. It's not super sticky, has good color pay off, and matches my skin well. I got it during a buy 1 get 1 50% off plus two $1 off coupons. Yay me!

    So check those out if you haven't yet, they're pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the color of the nail polish and the lipgloss! :) And OMG your lips are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't seen this anywhere yet. Peonies, my fave flower, can come in darker colors but that does look mulberry.

    I have a drawer full of roll on powder shadow. Ugh.

    That gloss is super cute. Too bad I'm on a 3 month no buy. I just organized about 80 things that are brand new and untouched to try and review. I'm shopping my stash till December:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. NYC is definitely creeping up there to one of my favorite drugstore brands. I'm such a sucker for packaging, and that rose lipgloss is too cute. I do really love the skinny kiss gloss tubes, but I still need to try out those creme blushes that you raved about a month or so ago. I've never tried a creme blush but hopefully I'll have some luck.

    Too bad about these blushes, they looked pretty. Have you done a formal review on NYC blushes? I tried looking but couldn't find any. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wonder if the other blush would work better for you since it's the darker shade, right? Maybe take that back too, but just trade it for the other one.

    I'm loving the gloss too and want it even though I've already got enough lip products to last me a couple of lifetimes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Found the display at Ulta and grabbed the rose shaped gloss but.....it wasn't very flattering on me. So if it doesn't look good in the sun tomorrow, it's going back. :( Makes me sad. The formula is amazing. I can't believe I barely ran my finger across and it came off with tons of product. So much that when I applied it looked like a blind girl applied it for me. *roll eyes*

    Well worth the $2.79! Well, $1.79 if you ladies clipped (and printed) those $1 off NYC coupons (I did!).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Are these still available anywhere? If yes, where?

    ReplyDelete
  25. About a month ago I saw this display at Ocean State Job Lot, but they are only located in New England. It's similar to a Big Lots, so it's possible they may show up there? Or maybe at Five Below. They are still around.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig