Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Borghese Purple Confetti

If you saw my post about the new limited edition Borghese collection that I spotted at Rite Aid a few days ago (click here for all the details) then you know that I went a little bit crazy for one shade in particular. So now I'd like to show you the results of my first manicure with Purple Confetti:
Borghese Purple Confetti
from the limited edition Scintillare collection (retail: $8)

I knew this was a matte going into it, so I made sure to use a coat of Orly Bonder base coat before applying Purple Confetti (as those of you who wear mattes know, without a base coat, a lot of matte polishes will generally chip within, oh, an hour of wear!).

The above pics were taken after two coats and, if you look closely, you'll see that in certain places it's still a bit streaky. I think three coats would be ideal for this color. Also, I want to point out that this formula truly feels like fine-grade sandpaper when it dries. It is quite gritty and bumpy, which you can see if you enlarge the above photos.

The formula itself was very easy to work with though, especially considering how much glitter is packed into this polish:


I see pink, green, yellow, blue, silver, purple and orange "confetti" floating around in this one. So pretty! Now let's take a look at what this polish looks like with a coat of Seche Vite over the top:


The good news? It does become a lot more shiny. The bad news? Seche Vite does not level out the bumpiness of this polish at all. It's practically just as bumpy to the touch as it was before I applied the top coat. Boo! (Note: Seche Vite did fix the grittiness though.)

I was actually going to apply another coat of Seche Vite, but by the time I got home to apply the second coat, three of my nails had already chipped. Devastating!

I don't think Orly Bonder is the best base coat to use with matte polishes. I know there's a better one out there but honestly, I don't wear mattes enough to invest in a base coat to use specifically for that type of formula.

Long story short: I think this polish is STUNNING to look at, but in terms of how it feels and how it performs for me, it's not a winner. If any of you have suggestions for how I can smooth the bumpy texture and/or prevent chips, I would LOVE to hear from you. I really don't want to return this, but I can't keep it if I won't wear it.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Hmmm - I am completely ignorant when it comes to base coats and top coats (I don't own any!) but I find that everything seems to wear better on toes than fingers...so maybe save the gorgeous color for pedicures and some of the problems with it won't matter so much! I am sorry it was a disappointment for you. I must say after your first post about these polishes I was definitely lusting after them. And I still might purchase despite your misgivings.... Thanks for the report! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you hear that swishing noise?? It was me gasping!!! Sweet goddess of polishes!!! How I adore thee!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried layering a coat of just a regular top coat over the polish before Seche Vite? When I have gritty bumpy polishes I usually layer 2-3 coats of Sally H Double duty topcoat/basecoat underneath before I put on the Seche. I know it's an extra step, but worth it especially if you get annoyed with uneven bumpiness like me! I had to do this with Nicole by OPI Sensational Scarlet which was very glitter and it worked out well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy Lynn: I agree that most polishes wear better on toes than fingers! but the problem is, I don't think I'd be able to fully appreciate the colorful "confetti" when it's on my toes. You know of have to see it up close. Oh well...I'm not giving up yet--hopefully I can make this work. :)

    Kimberly: Hahahahaha! :D It's beautiful, isn't it?

    Adele: Thanks! I think so too. :)

    Stephanie: I am totally going to try that tip! For most polishes I would say that's too much work, but this one's so pretty it's definitely worth it. Thanks honey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely! I've heard negative things about these because apparently the glitter is "dead" or flat even with top coat on...but I've also heard good things.

    What's your opinion?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig