Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, August 5, 2010

Breaking Beauty News (and lots of it!)

The beauty news is really coming fast and furious this week so I thought I'd do a post that includes lots of little bits of information as opposed to several posts throughout the day. If you have a few minutes, be sure to skim through this one because I've got lots to share with you about beauty sales, nail polish, skincare, and recent drugstore developments. Let's get started!

1) Thanks to so many of you for pointing out my math error in my previous post about the Color Sensational deal at CVS this week (which ends this Saturday, btw).  Math was never my strong-suit but, in my defense, I was half asleep when I wrote that post and I added up my deductions incorrectly. Instead of paying $8 for four lip products, I actually paid $9, so thanks to everyone who pointed that out. I have updated that post and corrected my blunder. :)

2) I've mentioned several times on this blog that pretty much the only place I purchase high-end products lately is BeautyTicket.com.  I just adore this site, and the deals and steals you can get on high-end beauty products never cease to amaze me.  So I want to let you know that their amazing prices are about to get even better:

Beginning today and ending Saturday at noon (Pacific), you can receive an additional 25% off the ENTIRE SITE by using the above code at checkout. If you're already a BeautyTicket fan, you know this a pretty awesome code, so I suggest plotting your orders right away since things WILL sell out, and they'll sell out quickly, believe me.

3) Speaking of high-end beauty deals, I want to be sure you Tarte fans know about this news (from Happi.com):

Natural cosmetics brand Tarte is now available at Ulta stores across the U.S. The brand debuts with an exclusive "bestsellers" kit for only $25 (retail value of $75). It includes deluxe sizes of Tarte's top products:
  • Mineral Bronzer in Park Ave Princess
  • ReCreate silicone free primer with Wrinkle Rewind technology
  • emphaEYES Inner Rim Eye pencil in Black
  • Lights, Camera Lashes! clinically proven mascara
  • Natural Cheek Stain in Flush
  • Lifted Natural Eye Primer with Firmitol
  • Vitamin Infused Lipgloss in 40 Winks 
 Wow, that's a pretty great deal for many of Tarte's best-selling goodies!

4) Selfridge's, the luxe department store chain in Great Britain, is going to release a line of Lego Nail Polish just in time for the holidays. Huh? Click here for the details. 

5) CVS news: renting movies just got a lot easier.  Redbox is about to launch nationwide in CVS stores, making CVS the first national drugstore chain to offer such a service to its customers (from DrugstoreNews).

6) All you Yes To Carrots fans, the Yes To family is about to roll out a new edition (from Happi.com):

Yes To Inc., the natural beauty brand that utilizes the power of carrots, will enter the anti-aging skin care category with its next fruit of choice - blueberries. The brand also features products with tomato and cucumber.

According to
WWD, the five-item Yes to Blueberries Age Refresh line will launch in the U.S. in October, before rolling out to the brand’s global distribution of more than 30,000 doors in 31 countries. Currently, Yes To is in about 18,000 stores in the U.S., including Walgreens and Target.

Yum...blueberries.

7) Speaking of skincare, I just received this interesting information from Desert Essence's PR:

Desert Essence Re-design and New Products

The re-launch will not only introduce new packaging but also eight new skin care products. Desert Essence currently has the top three selling facial skin care items in the natural beauty category; two of these three are facial cleansers. What was missing from the line were the ancillary products to go with their top selling cleansers. Now, with these new products, Desert Essence will offer complete a beauty regimen that will cater to all skin types - oily-combination skin, normal skin and dry-sensitive skin.

The company’s new tagline, “Beauty Blooms in the Desert,” emphasizes the renewal of the mind, body and spirit that one feels when spending time in the desert.  Many of nutrient-rich botanicals used in the products stem from the desert including jojoba oil, aloe, tea tree oil and cactus extracts. The redesign of Desert Essence’s packaging evokes the desert’s colors with orange, green and yellow hues and simple textural designs. The redesign will also make the consumers’ shopping experience simpler, with color coded bottles by skin type.

And here's a sneak-peek of what the newly-redesigned products will look like:




I know that Desert Essence 100% Pure Organic Jojoba Oil has pretty much achieved cult-status at this point, but there are several other Desert Essence products I love, such as the Vanilla Chai Body Lotion and 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil. I just love how affordable their products are, and the quality is amazing as well. I'm pretty excited about this relaunch, so please stay tuned because I'll be reviewing some of their new products in the near future.

Whew! That's it for now, but as always, I'd love to hear from you about anything I've mentioned in this post.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Oh I hate natural skin care! Most of the time it has irritating plant oils and extracts that cause acne and aging. And blueberries as anti-aging treatment?!!! Get real! Damn Hippie companies!

    Sorry for the rant lol, but most people don't understand that just because something is natural doesn't mean it's better. Comfrey is a natural plant with a high alkaline content that causes cancer, meanwhile there is no proof that parabens cause cancer. We used to think that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate caused cancer, but science has since debunked that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PCS: Thanks for your comment. We're all entitled to our opinions, and I agree that some natural ingredients aren't the best for my skin (i.e. menthol breaks me out terribly). BUT, in defense of natural ingredients, some have done WONDERS for my skin (jojoba oil, Vitamins C and E) and while everyone's skin is different, I thinks it's important not to discount that some of us benefit from natural ingredients (aloe rocks!). So, in other words, to each his/her own!

    Also, we need to be careful with statements like comfrey causing cancer, because, as far as I can tell, that study was done based on ingestion and not as a topical ingredient. I could be wrong, but I do think it's important to note that sometimes an ingredient can be toxic only when used in certain quantities and perfectly safe in other quantities (or in different methods of application). I for one enjoy using certain natural remedies and I think they can be very helpful. But again, just my opinion and I thank you for yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gianna! (So weird calling you that, LOL!) I just wanted to personally say that while the coupon to BeautyTicket is great, I was disappointed to discover that they recently raised the prices on some of the items they carry, especially the Pop Beauty items. I had been eyeing a few of the blush sets, and noticed that they increased in price since the last time I checked. Even with the 25% off, it's still would be about $2 more than the price before. I'm not trying to be a DD to your great news (for those that haven't purchased or was aware of BeautyTicket before), but I thought I should just share my thoughts.

    Thanks for the awesome posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont think CVS would be the first nation wide drugstore to have redbox. I've seen it at several walgreens

    ReplyDelete
  5. my local walgreens has redbox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I can't believe I missed that beauty ticket code! I just made an order there a few days ago, and now I'm considering ordering a few more mystery bags--mine came with a nars eyeliner, a UD eyeliner, as well as a few other things. Definitely worth it, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Libbeh: Thanks for the comment. I haven't noticed the price increase (I haven't ordered anything online in a while though) so that's good to know. Hey, at least it's still a lot less than department store, right? :)

    Samysalsa & Oldfashioned: Thanks for the info. I actually have never seen a Redbox at Walgreens (at least at the three locations in my area)so maybe CVS is the first to go nation-wide? Anyway, thanks for the heads-up!

    Leelas: You know, I have heard nothing but GREAT things about those mystery bags, so thanks for another glowing rec! Everyone I talk to says they got way more than they thought there going to get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Walgreens, Meijer, Walmart and Kroger have Redbox- but I feel like I'm in CVS a lot so it's great that they're going to be there too. My husband points out sometimes that we're probably putting people out of work by not going to a video store, but in this economy it's hard to resist getting a movie for just a buck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow I never knew about beautyticket! I just spent 27.18 (with shipping) and saved $67.77 off of three things (that includes the 25% off) I can't wait for my order to come in!

    I <3 your blog I check on it at least twice daily!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hah, i totally agree ms. poor college student. chemicals are chemicals, and just because its a NATURE CHEMICAL doesnt mean its going to be better for you or work better. i have some natural products that i love, some that i hate, and some companies that i totally avoid because i can't stand how they market their products by trashing conventional products and create fear with inaccurate claims. theres also a huge amount of self righteousness and pretention in the natural product world. no thanks.
    G is right though; its about finding what works for you and knowing about ingredients. educating yourself on potentially harmful stuff takes work, and unfortunately a lot of the "educating" is actually jumping on a fear bandwagon.
    some "natural" companies offer other benefits besides the products, such as recycled packaging, better work/ethical/environmental practices, and thats a huge plus. they just need an awesome, effective product to o with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. duuuuur....i got wrapped up in my spiel and forgot to say how excited i was about the beautyticket sale and....the yes to carrots stuff. yep, that line is one of the natural ones i love. don't know if the carrots/cucumbers/tomatoes/future blueberries make a lick of difference, but i do love the products. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig