Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Tale of Three Lip Balms: ChapStick, Aveeno & Blistex

Lately I've really been obessed with my local Vons grocery store. Apologies if you don't have a Vons in your area, but man do they put beauty products on clearance! Every time I visit my local Vons, there are a ton of new skincare, bodycare, haircare and makeup products with little signs next to them that say "Reduced for Quick Sale". Most of the time these products are 50-75% off, and the best thing about Vons is that they double coupons (the coupons have to be under $1, and Vons will only double the amount UP to $1, but still!).

But even if you don't have a Vons in your area, pay attention to the beauty aisle at your local grocery store because you never know what you might find on clearance. In general, I've found that grocery stores tend to quickly get rid of products that aren't selling, which means major savings for us!

Within the last few weeks, I've been able to snag these three lip balms for about $1.25 a piece or less because they've been "Reduced for Quick Sale" at my local Vons. As you know, all three of these products generally retail for $3.00-$3.50 at most places, so that's a great savings. Also, this particular Blistex package had a "save $0.55 right now" coupon attached to it, which means I saved $1 on this product, making my final price just $0.25!


It's been a VERY long time since I've used a ChapStick product, so let's start with this one:


Talk about a pleasant surprise. It's been years since I've used ChapStick because, honestly, my memories of ChapStick are filled with waxy balms that feel heavy on the lips and taste like medicine. But using Fresh Effects was such a pleasant experience that I find myself reaching for this whenever I'm sitting at my desk lately. I adore green tea and mint, so I'm a little sad that I get much more mint in the flavor and fragrance of this balm than I do green tea. In fact, I don't really detect the green tea at all. Also, I wish this had SPF, but for an indoor or nighttime balm, I don't have any complaints about it. It applies so smoothly and it feels slick (but not too slick) on the lips and it also feels light (unlike the heavy ChapSticks of yesteryear). Plus, the packaging is cute (little stars and flowers are never bad, are they?). And true to the packaging, this balm give me "a creamy feeling with a cooling sensation". Love that.


I don't really think of oatmeal when I think of lip balm ingredients, but leave it to Aveeno to make me absolutely mesmerized with the idea of applying colloidal oatmeal to my lips. Hey, if it works so well in body washes, lotions and creams, why not, right? This balm smells just like many of the unscented Aveeno body products I've used in the past. It's a very comforting oatmeal-ish scent that is not too strong or overpowering. There is very little flavor to this balm, and even though it might not be as creamy as Fresh Effects, it applies very smoothly and feels nice on the lips. The staying power isn't as long as other balms I've used, but I do think it's a nice option for a balm with SPF, especially if you tend to gravitate toward balms that are unflavored and low on fragrance.

Blistex Lip Massage SPF 15 (retail: around $3)

I've been intrigued with this product every since I first saw it, and I still can't get over that I got it for just a quarter! If you haven't experienced this balm first-hand, it's got a plastic applicator tip (actually, to the touch, it feels like it's a soft, rubberized material but I do not know if it's actually made of rubber or plastic) that has little raised grooves on it to give your lips a little massage. When I touch the applicator tip, it's not super soft and squishy, meaning it's not going to bend when you push it against your lips. To me, it feels sort of like the tip of a Sanrio pencil eraser. You know how those erasers are more firm than traditional #2 pencil erasers, which are more soft and squishy? So yeah, that's my best description! Anyway, when you turn the bottom of the tube to dispense the product, it comes out of the little hole at the top of the applicator and the consistency of the balm reminds me a lot of petroleum jelly (same color and consistency) but it's not as greasy as petroleum jelly. The scent is sort of a generic, fruity fragrance, and the flavor is quite sweet with just a little bit of a mint undertone. Not my favorite flavor of lip balm, but it's tolerable. I don't know why I was thinking that the applicator tip would help buff away dead skin, because nowhere on this product does it say that it will do this. So if you're expecting or hoping it will, it doesn't. It's purely for massage. It's a nice, smooth balm and I love the SPF, but as with other formulas of this nature, it doesn't tend to last as long on my lips as traditional stick balms. But it's fun nonetheless, and I'm glad I tried it. I just don't know how often my lips crave a massage. Haha.

So that's my tale of three lip balms. My favorite of the moment? Believe it or not, it's actually ChapStick Fresh Effects! I just really like the creaminess of it and, if it had SPF, I think I'd be reaching for it around the clock.

Do you own any of these products? How do you like them? I'd love to hear fro you!
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. I work at a sister store of Vons in northern California. One of the things I always carry with me at work is lip balm. When I don't have one I run over to the aisle and pick one up.
    On one of these occasions I purchased the aveeno lip balm and after a week of using it I felt like it actually dried out my lips instead of moisturizing. Wasn't my favorite lip balm and I purchased a cheaper blistex variety to carry around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually tried all of these! I'm a bit of a balm fanatic. :)

    The Aveeno one is pretty good. I love the scent and the SPF, but I don't find it exceptionally moisturizing and it's a bit too slick to wear under lipsticks.
    I couldn't stand the scent of the lip massage one, and I wasn't too crazy about the formula.
    The green tea fresh effects one is my favorite too! I've actually repurchased it a few times already. I really love the scent, the creamy feel and the cooling effect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh great post thank you! I was always intrigued by the Blistex massage thing but i really did assume it would help buff the skin. Do you think it helped the product absorb at all or was it basically pointess other than feeling nice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never even heard of Vons, so I'm pretty sure I don't have one in my area. :) I definitely like to keep my eyes open in grocery stores, though; you never know what you might find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was OBSESSED with novelty-shaped erasers and Sanrio and other Japanese brand pencils when I was in junior high. One of the things I loved the most were the erasers on the Japanese pencils, from smell to texture to colors! (I still have a bit of a novelty-shaped eraser fetish, and I always buy Mars plastic/plasticene erasers rather than use Pink Pearl and standard American pink rubber erasers.) Now I'm wondering whatever happened to those pencils of mine and actually missing them....
    Oh, regarding the actual subject of this review, is the Chapstick Fresh Effects formula essentially the same formula as regular Chapstick, or is it substantially different? I'm wondering because regular Chapstick actually makes my lips dry and peely, and I tried one of the 100% Naturals last year and had the same reaction -- dry and peeling lips. *starts wondering whatever happened to cherry, strawberry, and orange flavored chapstick*

    ninarapoll@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently got nearly every flavor of Chapstick known to man (boyfriend's company merged with the company that owns Chapstick + company store sale). The Fresh Effects Chapstick was my favorite (in refreshing mandarin). I wish it had spf too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great idea to check out grocery stores for beauty stuff. I've gotten great deals at places like Grocery Outlet and Safeway (which is essentially the same as Vons). I got a pack of Lip Smackers at a grocery store for 25 cents once!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound nice... I would love you to compare them to the new 'natural' type Lip Smackers that Bonne Bell has come out with recently... almost bought one at Target the other day, but I restrained myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yeah! I second that! I want one of those natural Bonne Bells too... if you ever got a chance to do a review on them, G, that would be great!

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig