Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, June 10, 2010

NOTD: L'Oreal High Tide (from the Passport to Paradise Collection)

I've got a few things I want to talk about in this post before I get to the swatches of High Tide. First of all, I had forgotten that I even had this polish until I saw it in my bedroom last night. I made such a fuss about how I fell in love with all the colors in the L'Oreal Passport to Paradise Collection that I am almost ashamed that it's taken me so long to show you this shade. Hopefully you still have access to this display at your local drugstores because, if you like light blue cremes, you're going to love these Essie dupes (and yes, I know that L'Oreal recently purchased Essie, which makes these dupes even more...interesting).

So as you know, I've been rocking a crazy mani for the past few days. Coats of metallic polish layered with glitter polish sound so pretty, but if you're a nail polish person, you know that they also sound like a nightmare...to remove! If you try to remove most glitter polishes the traditional way (with a cotton pad and nail polish remover) you're looking at an extremely time-consuming process.

So that's why I want to take this opportunity to thank several of you lovely readers for turning me on to the "foil method" of removing stubborn polishes. I've used this method about three times now and each time it just keeps getting easier and easier. So, YOU ROCK for enlightening me! It's made polish removal a snap for me and I no longer dread using glitter polishes one bit.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the lovely Elvira over at Pink Sith posted a wonderful tutorial here (I was going to take pictures of the process last night on my own nails but I was too lazy!).

Moving on to High Tide, I have to tell you that if it weren't for how beautiful this color is, and the fact that I own nothing like it in my rather large stash of blue cremes, I would NEVER mention this polish EVER on my blog. Why? It's a nightmare to use. Need I remind you of the gloppy mess called Water's Edge that I showed you a while back (also in the Passport to Paradise Collection)? Well, High Tide is even WORSE!

While applying the first coat, it was streaky and goopy and went on so unevenly that I almost just stopped using it. But I kept going, and I found that the poor-quality brush (rough, uneven bristles) made things worse by leaving drag marks in the polish as I continued to paint my nails. It's really just impossible to work with, but again, I love this color so much that I kept on going.

The good news is that, on the second coat, things did even out a bit (although it was still very thick and goopy to work with and it made a mess of my cuticles). And then, while waiting for the second coat to dry, wouldn't you know it? I spotted bubbles. Everywhere. Argh!! But here's the crazy thing. I don't know if it's just the magical powers of Sally Hansen Mega Shine, or if this would work with any top coat, but once I applied the top coat, the lines, streaks and bubbles all seemed to disappear. Completely. My nails looks so pretty that I almost forgot what a pure hassle it was to use this goopy polish. See for yourself:



Aside from some much-needed clean-up I still need to do around my cuticles, this polish looks smooth and even, right? I don't know how the heck that happened, but I'm totally not complaining.

I really adore this muted pastel gray-blue. It's got just enough blue in it to keep it from looking too much like cement-gray (not that there's anything wrong with cement gray, mind you) and it's got just enough gray in it to keep it from looking like a little baby boy's blanket. To me, it's a sophisticated light blue, if there is such a thing! Oh, and you can really see the shimmer in High Tide when you see it in the bottle, but not so much when it's on the nails. I really have to strain to see the shimmer on my nails, even in full sunlight.

So, do you own any colors from the Passport to Paradise Collection? If so, how do you enjoy using them? Are they a nightmare to apply or did you luck out and get a good bottle (and brush)? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. you nailed it when you said sophisticated light blue. it's so pretty! and this is coming from someone who wears only the traditional clear, pink, or red colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a really pretty shade! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. thanks for the link back to the tutorial and THANK YOU to lipglossiping for turning me on to the foil method. And HOT DAMN that's a pretty blue color. Perfect for the summer! Your nails look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone find these in canada (ontario specifically) please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty color!!! Though I'm sorry you have such a hard time with the formula; I have L'Oreal polish in Ragin Cajun (a gorgeous coral) and it works perfectly for me. At least the SH top coat worked well enough to cover it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally had the same experience as you did....thick and goopy. I do love the color though. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oldfashioned: Wow, that's saying a lot coming from a lover of the more traditional colors! So glad you agree with me. :)

    ShakeupYourMakeup: Glad you like this too! Have you picked up anything from the collection yet? :)

    Elvira: You are so welcome! And yes, it's an awesome shade--you neeeeed it! Ha! :) (And yes, thank you Lipglossiping!!!)

    Justine: Hum...you might want to ask SparkledBeauty about that (link is in my blogroll). She is a great resource for Canadian beauty lovers! :)

    beautybumbeauty13: You are LUCKY, girlie! I have had the worst luck with these polishes, but it's great to know someone else is having success with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. jarleo: Thank you for that!! I am so glad I'm not alone. I was beginning to think I was the only one who had this experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. with a few drops of thinner, they apply like butter (:

    gosh i love this essie dupe collection, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found these today! $5.99 at rexall pharma plus, go go go!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful nails :D I saw this nail polish at Walgreens today i thought about getting it too lol I want it now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. That colour is gorgeous, it's a bit ordinary in the bottle but on your nails it looks really pretty. Blue, but not *too* blue! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is my current pedi! i need another color asap!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig