Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New L'Oreal Limited Edition Passport to Paradise Collection

Ever since Steph at Steph's Closet tweeted a pic recently of these new L'Oreal Passport to Paradise nail polishes compared to last year's Essie North Fork collection (the L'Oreal shades are spot-on dupes of the Essie colors!) I have been kind of obsessed with finding this display in my area. As most of you know, Essie polishes retail for around $8, while L'Oreal polishes retail for around $4.99 (cheaper, of course, if they're on sale and/or you have a coupon!). In fact, I asked Steph on Twitter if she had a comparison post that I could link to for this post, and it turns out she's writing one TODAY! [UPDATE: Steph's comparison post is now up! Click here to see it--you won't believe your eyes!]

So I FINALLY found the Passport to Paradise Collection at my local Rite Aid yesterday, and talk about timing. Today I log on to Twitter to discover the lovely Elvira from Pink Sith tweeting this message: "L'Oreal has JUST purchased ESSIE!!!!!" Um, hello! So were these spot-on Essie dupes a coincidence, or just part of L'Oreal's master plan? Who knows, but all I know is that the Twitteverse is a-buzz with the hopes that L'Oreal will bring back all of the hard-to-find Essie shades that everyone loves (or start to make more-affordable L'Oreal versions!).

Enough chit-chat, let's get to the pics.

(Maybe it's just because I'm a Lost fan, but it always seems weird to me to see Evangeline Lilly wearing makeup.)

This collection brings us three beautiful creme nail polishes, two new gloss shades, three new bronzer shades and two new eyeshadow quads. The makeup is nice, but I really couldn't stop myself from zeroing in on these polishes (you know I looooove my creme polishes, and you also probably know by now that I'm a sucker for blues).

Attn: Fay! Regarding your comment from yesterday, do you see that light gray-blue creme on the left side of this display?? :)

L'Oreal is not currently on sale this week at Rite Aid, but I did happen to have a $1 off L'Oreal coupon in my coupon bag (actually a cute, rectangular makeup bag that I use for holding my coupons) so I decided to buy just ONE shade for $3.99 (retail price: $4.99) because, with my luck, if I waited for a sale next week these three remaining bottles would be gone.

So, even though I desperately wanted all three of these polishes, which color did I end up purchasing?

L'Oreal Waters Edge (retail: $4.99)

Why did I purchase Waters Edge? Oh, well maybe because if I hear or see one more nail blogger rave about China Glaze For Audrey I'm going to scream! I haven't seen For Audrey in any of the beauty supply stores I frequent, but darnit it sure is a beautiful interpretation of the iconic "Tiffany Blue" (click here to see Amber from Beauty Junkies Unite's swatch). Waters Edge instantly reminded me of the gorgeous blue of Tiffany boxes, so it went immediately into my shopping basket.

I couldn't wait, so I gave myself a mani of Waters Edge when I got home last night. But in the low light of my living room, I started to get really bummed as I applied this, thinking that Waters Edge looks just like Sinful Colors Mint Apple, just without the shimmer. So I waited until the morning to do a comparison:

Whew! Not at all! As you can see, Waters Edge is a true blue, while Mint Apple is definitely more green. And in person, the difference is even more obvious.



So what do you all think? A close match to For Audrey? Does this remind you of Tiffany Blue?

Until Steph puts up her comparison post, here is a link to her photos of the L'Oreal Passport to Paradise collection. Now compare that photo to Amber from Beauty Junkies Unite's swatches of Essie's North Fork Collection from last year. Crazy, right?

And a final word about these L'Oreal polishes. I have had a bad track record with this newish L'Oreal formula. I love love loved the formula when L'Oreal polishes looked like this:


But now? Not so much. Yes, the colors in Passport to Paradise are worth the extra trouble, but let me show you why I don't like this formula in general. First of all, the bristles on the brush (it's a flat brush, btw) are rough, and therefore leave ridges in the polish on your first coat. Also during the first coat, these polishes go on very streaky for me.

And then there's this:


At first the consistency is on the thick side, but nothing too bad. But after I paint my first or second nail, this formula REALLY thickens up and, as illustrated above, it gets so thick that it starts to form trails when you pull the brush out of the bottle. The whole thing ends up a thick, goopy mess before you're done with your manicure.

Yes, a few drops of nail polish thinner can remedy this problem (I will definitely be adding some thinner to this bottle because the color is worth the extra step, for sure). But really, this is obviously a brand new collection, so I KNOW that this polish is not old. Does it really need to be this thick and goopy from the get-go? Such a shame, but definitely still worth the trouble. Just my two cents!

Do you own anything from the Passport to Paradise Collection? Are you planning on looking for this at your local drugstores? Tell me, tell me!
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. I want all of the polishes so, so badly. I haven't seen the display in any stores yet, and it's upsetting me, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The resemblance is uncanny, it wasn't an accident...L'Oreal! I think you have a great dupe of For Audrey, rock it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, those look so pretty! Can't wait to find this collection, and crossing my fingers that L'oreal will go on 40% off soon. How do you think the polish you got compares to the green polish in Maybelline's sweet thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a comaprison swatch if anyone is interested.

    http://mylucidbubble.blogspot.com/2010/04/loreal-summer-2010-swatches.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to find these!!! That really is a nice dupe of For Audrey; everyone looks so good in it I was almost about to crack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh. i am diggin the collection display!

    btw, i know what you mean about Lilly, BUT i assure you she is wearing makeup on the show. it's just very subtle. mostly foundation, i would think. and bronzer. it kills me how lovely she looks with the barely-there style, whereas this look is so OTT on her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! It's as close as it gets, which is great for me, since we don't get CG here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just posted about High Tide. Mine was thick also. I will add some p0olish thinner to mine. My top coat evened everything out ok. I have For Audrey and just got Nina Ultra Pro - In a Tiff and I like it better! It has micro shimmer and is a little lighter in color, kind of like the new Channel. Love this Post! :)
    ~Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous shades! I have For Audrey and Re-Freshment, but I will def be on the lookout for them (and praying for a BOGO free soon). It sucks about the formulation...your swatches looked like it evened out pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Thanks for the shout out! Yeah. that looks a lot like essie....except for the crappy consistency. I already have China Glaze For Audrey and since I rarely wear it I think I'll skip this L'Oreal collex...but I'm so excited to see some fashion forward colors coming out in drugstore collections! and super review BTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are some fantastic comparison swatches at http://polishorperish.blogspot.com/2010/04/loreal-passport-to-paradise-summer-2010.html (not my blog, not affiliated).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely think that looks like some of the Essie summer colors. I really want to try these, since I haven't seen the Essie polishes anywhere and the L'Oreal formula usually works for me, at least!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just saw Steph's swatches, and OMG...!! They are exact dupes of Essie's North Folk collection! I'm going to take my chances and wait for a sale to buy all 3 colors since I missed out on the Essie collection. I think $4.99 (or even $3.99 w/ coupon) is a bit pricey for a DS brand polish, especially if the formula's streaky and thick.

    Thanks for the heads up, Rec! I would have probably missed out on these Essie NF dupes had you not cover them :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't worn For Audrey since last summer (when it decided to stain my nails!) but I'd say yes, it's pretty close! Your Sally's doesn't have it though? Mine still does.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there, I saw this display when I was on vacation in Vegas this past weekend, (also saw the new Revlon & CG mascaras but didn't purchase)...anyway, I pick up the Infallible Lipgloss in Sandy Beaches. It looks a little dark in the tube but it applies wonderfully light and only a bit glossy. I loved it so much I went back the next day and bought another! I'm from Canada and we often don't get these LE shades up here...crosses fingers it makes an appearance :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. For Audrey is part of the regular line, I'm surprised your Sally doesn't have it

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw this collection at CVS yesterday. I had a NP (can't remember name, but 2nd from left in your pic) in my hand but put it back - shocking!!! LOL! But I just ran in to get peroxide; wasn't in much of a shopping mood - just had surgery on Tues so was a little tired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! Yes! I see your post now! ^_^ Thank you for the email.
    My mood is a little dark so I'm looking for a darker bluish-grey. None the less I love the colors in this collection. Especially Water Edge! After seeing it, I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my bottle of For Audrey. =( Mine is more pastel green while yours is definately more blue.

    On another note, the new Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara looks interesting too! I have so many tubes of mascara to finish before I can buy another tho >,<

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jean: Keep looking--I think this will show up for you very soon (fingers crossed!). :)

    Amber: Thank you, honey! Since you said that, I think there's no need for me to get the China Glaze. :)

    Lily: I just looked at them side-by-side and they're NOTHING alike! Minty is way more of a yellowish-green, while Waters Edge is more of a teal green. Hope that helps! :)

    KrisinPhilly: Thanks! :)

    Gigi: Me too! :)

    PCS: Yay! Now you don't have to! You can just wait for these. :)

    beautifulmonday: Oh I know she wears makeup, believe me. I even did a post here a while back about what the Lost makeup artist uses on set to give the women that natural look. :) But yeah, it's just odd to see her wearing MORE makeup, I should say. :)

    Marce: Yay! I'm glad you can get this as a substitute then. :)

    Sylvia: Thanks for the tip about the Nina Ultra Pro! That sounds beautiful. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have issues with the thickness of this polish--it sucks, but you're right and the top coat really helps. :)

    Mocha Mish Mash: Yes, definitely, this polish settles A LOT after the second coat (thank goodness) and then top coat makes it pretty much perfect. :)

    Elvira: You are so welcome, and thank YOU for the kind words! I'm sorry you're not getting too much use out of For Audrey...do you ever wear it on your toes? That would be cute for springtime. :)

    Justine: Thanks for the link! :)

    beachbumbeauty13: Consider yourself lucky that these work for you so well! The first coat was so horrible for me that it almost made me want to quit, but I'm thankful I kept on going because it was so worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. libbeh: OMG, I am so happy I could help you! And YAY for being able to get these since you really wanted the Essie collection (but missed it). I love it when that happens! And you're right--a sale would be FANTASTIC! :)

    PB: Actually, my Sally does have it, but they're *always* sold out. :(

    lmc1971: Oooh, thanks for the tip about those glosses! They looked really pretty, but I just wish L'Oreal would put safety seals on those glosses. By the time I got to this display, it looked like all of the glosses had already been opened (I could see fingerprints on the handles). :( But anyway, I'm so glad you were able to get some, and that you love them! :)

    H: Yeah, I know. But for some weird reason, my Sally is always out of this darn color. :(

    JenJen: You put it BACK? *gasp* lol!! I hope you're feeling better, honey! :)

    Fay: Glad you got my email! And you know what? If you're looking for a darker blue-gray, have you tried Sally Hansen Gray by Gray? I swatched it here:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2010/02/sally-hansen-complete-salon-manicure.html

    Maybe this one will work for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have seen the swatch for Sally Hansen Gray by Gray and I've looked for it in person. Unfortunately it looks more of a teal too me >,<

    On a brighter note, Wet n Wild has a new shade call Rain Check and that was similar to what I had in mind. Too shimmery but it was nice.

    And another happy note, I came down to the states during the weekend and found Sally Hansen's butter lip shine and liquid eyeliner at dollar tree ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. gaga drool! thanx for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fay: That is so weird because it's not teal AT ALL to me. It's pretty much a true dolphin blue on my nails (equal parts blue and gray). But anyway, I'm glad you're getting closer with Rain Check! I hope you find your perfect polish soon. And yay for finding those SH products at DT! Congrats! :)

    yummy411: LOL! Totally drool-worthy. I agree. I hope you find these, AND SOON! I look forward to seeing your review when you get some, honey. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig