Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, June 25, 2010

Mr. Recessionista Strikes Again: Woody's Pomade Review

It's time once again to bring you "a man's perspective" with another product review from my boyfriend, the wonderful "Mr. R.". I know that many of you enjoyed his last review (click here if you missed it) and you told me that you'd like to see more reviews from him in the future. So every time I receive men's grooming products for consideration, he'll be the one testing them and writing the reviews. I may add some notes to his reviews (which will be in italics) but other than that, these reviews are 110% Mr. R's words and opinions. So...enjoy!


R. approached me with a proposition. She proposed that I could have a new pomade from Woody’s Grooming if and only if I would write a review about it. I needed some anyway, and it seemed like Woody's was interested in producing quality, subtle products, so I decided to take the job. Considering I’m still using the Meat and Potatoes Soap [see Mr. R's hilarious review of this soap here--R.], I figured I’d give Woody’s Pomade a try.

Woody's Pomade (retail: around $15, 4 oz.)

Woody’s pulled it off once again. Not only am I still using their Meat and Potatoes Soap (yah, I’m still using the same bar from February!), but they really turned me into a devoted customer with their pomade, and that’s saying a lot. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t give a crap about some fancy men’s pomade. Most of them are so loathsome, with their “super-charged with bone-breaking hold” tag-lines that make one question the very foundations of contemporary manhood. But, Woody’s is straight-up. No flashy gimmicks and no neon colored pomade with flecks of what looks like “pop-rocks” in it, like other pomades or gels. It’s clear and simple [yes, it's clear, but it's got a very subtle light green tint, as you can see in these photos. --R.], but with a hold you’d not expect.


Clear pomades usually are greasy and disappear in a couple hours, as they quickly melt away as soon as you step into the sun, consequently becoming one with your sweat and condensing on – rather, into – your brows and ears. Woody’s doesn’t do this because it’s better quality and, most importantly, you need less of it. Other pomades require a fairly large amount in order for them to hold--approximately one tablespoon. But with Woody’s you need much less, about one rabbit’s turd worth [I begged Mr. R. to come up with a better analogy but he insisted on this one because he said is was the exact size of the amount of product he uses for his hair. Ugh. --R.]. So, while it does dissipate slowly over time (it is water-soluble after all), it holds much better than others and you need less of it, which translates into cost savings.


Also, my hair is not short but not long, just above the ears. I’ve been told I look like Keith Urban [by my dad and also by perfect strangers who stop him on the street. It's hilarious. --R.], partly because of my hair type, but it’s not quite that long and I don’t have highlights, especially not one thousand dollars worth of them. But I digress (can you tell I don’t like the comparison?). My hair type is straight, not too thin and not too thick, and prone to oiliness. I apply the rabbit turd size amount by rubbing it between my hands and smoothing it through my semi-damp hair for texture when it dries. It goes a very long way, and at first, I can’t really tell that I’ve put anything into my hair. But when it slowly dries, it remains pliable and silky. When it fully dries, I can’t tell that there’s product in my hair, but the style holds. So, after all is said and done, it doesn’t look like I’ve slathered my hair with petroleum jelly and it doesn’t have that crispy “just glued” look. It looks very natural, but you can slightly tell that something has been added. As the day continues on, the ability to see product completely fades (as everything in the known universe does, following the entropic principle of existence), but the styling remains. In fact, it makes my hair even more manageable. I imagine that, with shorter hair, it would work even better. Also, the fragrance is very, very mild.


In short, my experience with Woody’s Pomade is a positive one. It’s very nice to get back to basics with a product that works. Also, it’s nice to use a product that’s not developed by a company detached from their customers’ needs, packed full weird of chemicals, and questionably over-marketed. Woody’s Pomade is an honest product for men, REAL men, who like to look nice once in awhile and don’t want to break-the-bank doing it, and it shows.

I hope you enjoyed Mr. R's review! I just want to add that he really has been using this product every single day since I gave it to him, and even during a recent trip to the Midwest, he made sure he packed it in his suitcase. If the man in your life has similar hair to Mr. R's, and he's having trouble finding a styling product that works for him, he may want to consider giving Woody's Pomade a shot.

Woody's Grooming products can be found at various online beauty supply retailers, Amazon, and also in-store at beauty supplies around the nation.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. you know, a rabbit's turd is a pretty consistent size! kinda perfect metaphor.

    this is another hilarious, honest post. thumbs up to Mr. R! (and good job on the gifting, Recessionista!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Mr. R's posts! "Rabbit turd size" is a great metaphor because, hey, who hasn't seen a rabbit turd?

    I'll have to pick up some of this stuff for Geek Boy. My hands will be much happier when they are no longer impaled on his hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three Thumbs Up for Mr. R!!!

    aside from making me laugh hysterically [I LOVE the 'rabbit turd' metaphor!!!], he does a really great job writing reviews! Please do tell him that his public wants MORE! lmao
    I heart Nouveau Cheap:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious, is Mr. R a science guy? For some reason I seemed to be getting that vibe from this post (except for the very precise measurement of "rabbit turd") lol. And his reviews are always great and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig