Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, May 10, 2010

Swatches: Revlon Gray Suede (from the Daydreamer Collection)

I absolutely love all these greige (gray-beige) shades that everyone and their mother seem to be releasing these days. So when a new one pops up at the drugstore, such as Gray Suede from the Revlon Limited Edition Daydreamer Collection, I just have to snatch it up. And of course I had a $2 Revlon coupon in my purse, which brought the total down from $4.99 to $2.99 when I bought this last week at CVS.

I did a quick mani last night (sorry for my dry cuticles--I need to moisturizer them ASAP) and the funny thing is, Mr. Recessionista always kind of knows when a color doesn't work for me, even when I haven't made up my mind yet. While I was applying the second coat of Gray Suede, he looked over at me on the couch and said, "That looks horrible." I of course said, "Really??" and I looked again. I just wasn't convinced that it looked that awful, but then again it was nighttime and the true test is always full sunlight.

Here are some swatches--I'll let you be the judge:



In the first pic, it seems like this shade brings out both the yellow and red tones in my skin--and not in a good way. Things look a little more normal in the second picture, but I can still see a lot of red in my skin. I don't know...I think Mr. R might be right. This just doesn't seem to be a flattering color for me. What do you think?

I tried to tell Mr. R that this would be a "chic, job-interview-type of shade" and he said he kind of agreed. But maybe just not on me. Ha!

In both pics, I used Orly Bonder Base Coat, two coats of Gray Suede, and one coat of Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat (if you're a new reader, I am a longtime, devoted fan of Orly Bonder base coat--it works wonders for me. I also have been using SH Mega Shine Top Coat for several months now and I just love it).

I pulled some of the greige and nude shades in my collection so that I could give you a comparison of Gray Suede next to some other colors. Hopefully you already own one or two of the shades in this pic, and it will help you determine whether or not you need to hunt down the Daydreamer Collection and get yourself a bottle of Gray Suede:

(click to enlarge)


So what do you think? Are you feeling this color? Is it a must-have for you?

PS: A lot of you have enjoyed it when I've shared my current Firefox persona with you, so here's the one I'm "wearing" right now on my browser. I think it's absolutely adorable!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Girl, I JUST painted my nails that same exact color. And I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Daydreamer collection. Love the glosses! I bought all of them except for the red. Skipped the polishes though since I never paint my nails and have way too many that I don't use. I like the color on you.. it IS a job interview/casual chic type shade! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying your blog for a couple months now and love all the tips, and this post prompted my first comment! Sorry, but I have to agree with your husband. This color says "corpse hands" to me. I love the color, but can't wear it either. It's just scary on my pale hands! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys don't understand how nail polish colors go in and out! I think that's a great look for you while this is trendy, but I don't see you wearing it after this is over. I love these shades! They are so confusing, like what the hell color is that? Is it purple? brown? gray? taupe? lol, I like the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally think that the colour pales you out, if that makes sense? It's a beautiful colour though, I think it would work better on maybe a darker skin tone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this polish. I did a post on it too. Check it out!

    nailsbeautiqued.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Commander in Chic and Mouse looks better on you. This color really really reminds me of a mannequin's hand, which is the tread, but in a creepy way and like you said, it does make your fingers look kinda red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I agree with Mr. R. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not cute. Greige colors have a ton of potential... this shade is disappointing. Next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did a taupe comparison on my blog recently, really love taupey colours. Nudes are nice too but, this one didn't speak to me at all and I passed on it, I loved the rest of the revlon daydream shades though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I personally don't like this range of colors. I like having bright colors and glittery nail polishes. While it's not very professional, I'm a high school student :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't comment based on the photo because my monitor color may not be accurate. But many Filipinas will like it. Nude nail colors are popular here, perhaps because many Filipinas like the simple look. Not me, though. If I wear polish, it might just as well show, otherwise what's the point? So I say, wear this to the interview, if you like, and then take it off and go with something you love and have no doubts about. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like that color. Thanks for the preview....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, I don't know if I would wear this color. It seems just a little too odd of a mix between the gray and beige for me. Almost a little boring?

    xo,


    Kieran

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, you guys, your comments had me (and Mr. R) cracking up! He feels totally vindicated since so many of you agree that this is not a good color on me! Don't get me wrong--I think the shade itself is SUPER pretty and chic, but just not on ME. lol! In fact, I am totally jealous of any of you who CAN pull of this color. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. As far as greys go, I liked COmmander in Chic much better. This shade is pretty, but a bit bland. Besides, I'm partial to your bright green nails look.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig