Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, March 29, 2010

Quick Rite Aid update!

I was at my local Rite Aid last night fulfilling my Thirfty brand ice cream craving (anyone else love their ice cream? And while I'm at it, anyone else remember the actual Thrifty drugstores from back in the day? I miss Thrifty so much, but I'm glad that after Rite Aid acquired Thrifty back in the '90s they kept the best thing about that chain: the ice cream!).

Whoa, sorry for the tangent. Anyway, so when I was at Rite Aid last night, I obviously took a stroll through the beauty aisle and discovered that the entire Tropez display is now 75% off. Whaaaaa? I do not know if this means that Tropez as a brand is going under, or if just this particular Rite Aid is getting rid of the brand, but I am going to try and find out the scoop from my contact at Markwins and I'll let you know what I hear.

So of course I spent some time at the Tropez display frantically seeing if any of my favorite products were still available (it was pretty picked over by the time I got there). I was able to snag the LAST bottle of my favorite Tropez nail polish (Blossom--click here for swatches) and it set me back a whopping 24 CENTS (regular price: 99 cents). I love any and all nail polishes that I can buy for a quarter, and I'm sure you do too. So if you have a Rite Aid in your town that sells Tropez, I strongly suggest taking a trip ASAP to see if your Rite Aid is getting rid of the brand as well (hopefully it isn't, because I'd be really sad to see Tropez become more difficult to find. But if it's going to go, at least we can enjoy these prices for a little while).

Here are a few other interesting things I spotted during this Rite Aid trip:


I spotted these Chameleon polishes by Scherer in the same display that contains the CQ and Petites polishes. I know these little duo-chromes have been out for a while (I've seen them on various blogs) but I just don't think I've seen them in person until yesterday. Maybe they've always been there but I just now noticed them? Who knows. Anyone tried these? I'm wondering if they're worth a shot (especially the darker blue shade) but I think I remember reading that these chip like crazy? If you own any, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Also, I spotted this odd little display with no information, no price tag, nothing:


These are little compacts by Giovi, and they're roughly about the size of a small pancake in person. Each compact has five small baked shadows (with pretty veining!) and one larger baked shadow, which looks like it could be used as a highlighter. There are two different color palettes and I was immediately drawn to the one that has a pretty golden olive shade in it (on the left in the following photo):


I've mentioned before that I love how Rite Aid is introducing some fun, lesser-known, cheapie brands of makeup into their usual inventory (click here for my Princessa palette review, which I purchased at Rite Aid). Have you tried anything by Giovi before? I'd love to hear from you if you have!

That's it for now, but I'll be back soon with some reviews!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. the dark blue Chameleon, Blue Sky, is worth a try. AWESOME duochrome. maybe tri-chrome! Get it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I remember and miss Thrifty's too :)and their ice cream is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that ross sells giovi products mostly big palletes. They are very pigmented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lacquer Laine: SOLD! I will get this the next time I'm at Rite Aid. Thanks so much! :D

    Miss Go Lightly: Yay!! I'm thrilled that you remember Thrifty's! Didn't they have the BEST beauty section? I think that was the first place I ever saw and purchased the old school Village lip tins (if you remember Thrifty, I know you remember those as well). Ahhhh, the good ol' days. :)

    LaVogue: Really? I swear to you, my Ross sux. They never, ever have makeup...only bath and body stuff, and most of that stuff has already been used/tested. :( But thanks so much for the heads-up! That's great to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oh my, you just made me take a trip down memory lane lol of course I remember those lip tins. I wish they still made those. The peach flavored was my favorite! Indeed, the good ol' days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I am so not just saying this, but the peach was my favorite too!! I think we just bonded. :) Oh, and remember when they came out with the jumbo duos?? I remember COVETING my Lemon/Lime tin like it was made of pure gold. lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never found tropez in my area! It sounds like I never will with these prices. poo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a couple of the Chemeleons. I really like blue sky which might be the blue you mentioned. It didn't chip at all on me and looked great layered over Sinful Fiji. I loved this combo and it lasted a week which is unheard of for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PCS: Man, that sux. Well, I'm not giving up hope about this until I hear it from Markwins. Until then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was just that particular Rite Aid. :(

    sychbi: Yes, I think it was Sky Blue! Oooh, and thank you so much for the tip. I am thrilled to know that it didn't chip for you. It will be mine!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah, thrifty! by the time i was into makeup thrifty had already become rite aid (or perhaps it was because our local makeup drugstore was sav on), so i didn't really experience their cosmetics section. but i sure remember the ice cream! and did you notice that on the wikipedia entry it says, "Thrifty Ice Cream is popular in part because of its inexpensive prices, but also because the clerks all love to scoop the ice cream for customers." HA! wonder who wrote that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just FYI, I had Chameleon Blue Sky, and I found it extremely difficult to apply, mostly due to the fact that it dries SUPER FAST. I did a mani with this over the weekend, and made such a mess of it, that I took it off right away. I had serious issues with the formula and won't be using this again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. jane: Yes! Another person who remembers Thirfty! :) And OMG, I didn't catch that line in the wiki write-up! That is hilarious because it seems to me that the people at my Rite Aid find scooping ice cream to be a pain the booty. lol!!

    chickadee: Ooooh, that is NOT good. I wonder if maybe there are different batches out there (good and bad)? Hum....thanks for the heads-up! That sounds like a nightmare. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was raised in the San Fern Valley in SoCal and I sooo remember riding my bike to Thrifty's for $0.39 scoop ice cream.

    I now live in NC and while we were excited when we got RiteAids, but WTF? no ice cream came with them. I was crushed. LOL oh well...so much for memories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I miss Thrifty. I love that Rite Aid kept the ice cream...that has helped in me forgiving them for their takeover. But honestly, it took a lot of years to get to this point, LOL.

    I keep seeing those Giovi palettes and wanting to try them, but I am worried they'll be awful. I might not be able to stand it and just buy one soon. Half the fun of makeup is how pretty it looks, all on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  15. La Diva Latina: Yay!! I'm so glad you remember Thrifty too. It's sad, but I remember when the single scoop was 10 cents!! lol! And wow, I only just recently heard that they don't serve ice cream at Rite Aids outside of CA. That is a bummer. Do you still have the pre-packaged cartons in the freeze section of your Rite Aid though??

    Alix: I'm so glad you remember Thrifty too! And yes, it also took me A LONG time to get over the takeover. I still drive by the place where my Thrifty used to be and get all teary-eyed. lol. I'm always scared about these lesser-known cheapie brands too, but sometimes there are some real gems out there. If you try this one, please let me know what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is apparently the website for the company that produces Giovi, Princessa, and some other brands: http://www.richon.com/ (click on the "About" tab for more info on them). Hope that helps!

    ninarapoll@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alexandra: Thank you so much for the link!! I had a weird feeling that Giovi and Princessa might be made by the same company...so thank you for confirming that! You're awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig