Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Review: L'Oreal HiP Color Chrome Eyeliner

I mentioned a few days ago that I had picked up one of these new liners to test and review, but who knew that the eyeliner testing gods would give me a freaking 100 degree heatwave in order to REALLY test this baby out?

L'Oreal HiP Color Chrome Eyeliners are part of HiP's new collection, Mattes & Metallics:


I picked up the shade "Green Flash" (retail: $10). The price is a bit steep for a drugstore liner, if you ask me, so I was really hoping it would perform like a high-end product.

Let's compare it to my other new green liner, Prestige Total Intensity in "Intense Olive":

(HiP "Green Flash on top, Prestige "Intense Olive" on bottom)

Here's a close-up:


Now here's what they look like swatched:

(HiP "Green Flash" on top, Prestige "Intense Olive" on bottom)

As you can see, the HiP liner is a lighter shade of olive than the Prestige liner. What you CAN'T see but what you'll have to trust me on, is that the HiP liner does have a chrome effect (very shimmery), while the Prestige liner is a darker olive with a traditional gold shimmer. Put it this way: If you want someone to actually notice that you're wearing a shimmery eyeliner, go with the HiP liner. The Prestige liner wears pretty dark and, to the casual eye, it's harder to detect that shimmer.

Now, let's put these babies to the rub-test! I took my index finger and rubbed both swatches with as much pressure as possible for about 10 seconds and here's what I got:

(HiP on left, Prestige on right)

Now this is important: It's hard too see this in the picture but what you need to know is that they both faired pretty well on the rub-test. BUT, the HiP liner did ultimately smudge away quicker than the Prestige. Also, the HiP liner changed color when it smudged (it revealed a dark, blackish-green underneath the chrome green), while the Prestige stayed quite true to its original color without changing one bit.

So how did the HiP liner perform under the blazing hot San Diego sun? Well let's just say that if I hadn't checked myself in the mirror constantly throughout the day, this liner would have probably been down to my chin by sunset. This seems to be a common occurrence (for me at least) with these new long-wear liners: They don't budge when applied to dry, oil-free skin, but once they come in contact with a little oil, look out because they'll smudge and run like crazy. To be fair, I also tested this liner (today) wearing it only on my upper lid and guess what? It STILL managed to smear underneath my eyes. How does that happen? I mean, I wasn't wearing anything on my lower lids today, not even mascara!

Final Analysis: For $10, HiP Color Chrome liners are definitely gorgeous in color, but not so gorgeous in performance. I can wear them on my upper lids only, but not even on that area if the weather's hot. These might work quite well for those who have very dry skin around their eyes, or are one of the lucky few who can wear any eyeliner they wish and never experience running or smudging. If you are that type of fortunate soul, then totally go for it. But if you normally have issues with smudging or running liners, you may want to look elsewhere, or purchase this liner for winter-only use.

Do you plan to give these a shot? Why? Why not? Let me hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Thanks for the review! I don't think I'll try it out, considering I haven't perfected how to put on eyeliner without looking weird to myself. Until then, I won't even step outside with eyeliner on haha. I am just watching YouTube ladies doing tutorials to practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. youre funny. thats crazy though. ive seen these and the colors looks so pretty. what if you try setting the eyeliner with the same color e/s powder or I dunno.

    I hardly ever used any colored eye liner pencil so im gonna skip this.

    btw awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kitty! I'm glad that you're educating yourself on how to properly apply eyeliner! Good for you! You might want to start out gently by using a liner brush and a neutral shade of powder shadow as liner. This seems to be a very forgiving method for those not used to wearing liner, as opposed to say, a black liquid liner that takes years of practice and a very steady hand. :)

    Hey Becky! I'm glad you got a laugh or two from my post. :) I guess I could set the liner with a shadow but that would kind of take away from the gorgeous chrome color, right? Also, I just don't have the patience for adding that extra step to my routine. I'm lucky to wear liner at all, let alone set it! But thanks for the tip. By the way, they also make this liner in black (you had mentioned that you don't wear colored liners). Do you think you'll try it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should check out my blog and the read the post about making your eye-makeup stay put... I have a FABULOUS trick that will work, even in 100 degree heat!

    www.beautifulmookie.blogspot.com

    I love that green color by the way... oh - and thanks for recommending Big Lots for discontinued make-up... I LOVE Big Lots now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mookie! Thanks for the comment! I like your idea about hairspray but I worry about its drying affects on my already tender eyelid skin. Also, the issue is really with my lower lids, not upper, and I definitely do not want to apply hairspray in that area, which is already so sensitive. But thank you for the suggestion and I'm glad that you found something that works for you!

    Also, I'm so glad that my Big Lots tip worked for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10 buck is just way too much for drugstore imo...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, my stay put eye make-up tip isn't for sensitive skin as it is very drying - I am just sure to lube up my eyes at the end of the night with Vaseline or moisturizer to help with that.

    As far as getting it to stay on your bottom lids... let me know if you learn a trick!

    Your blog site is FANTASTIC! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha you're funny..i totally understand the whole ending up on the bottom thing. that happens with my mascara when i put it on top only. i like to think the little mascara flakes are tired and agitated and they jump to their death on my cheeks. i mean that's the only reasonable explanation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mookie! Believe me, if I never find a trick to keep the eyeliner on my bottom lids from smudging, I will let you know! Thanks so much for the kind words about my blog! xo

    Hey giz89! Yeah, it's frustrating when any product migrates, but especially the products we wear on our eyes because it's so obvious! Argh. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Citrine--I totally agree with you. Unless it can deliver 100% of the time, I can't really justify the price on this one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the insightful headsup. I think I'll stick to the Prestige TI liners. They're cheaper and really get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dicey! You're so welcome. :) I am with you--Prestige is less expensive and I really think they work better than these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried the green flash from Loreal and loved the color. It really does have a shimmery effect. What I don't like is the price for one, the other is that the pencil doesn't last long. One week????? - for $10 bucks!! Get real Loreal. I'll also stick with Prestige.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Kathryn! Well, it sounds like this product didn't work for you either! lol. I agree--the color is very pretty but it just wasn't worth the price tag. :( But I'm glad you like the Prestige too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Im from Indian, and I bought the L'Oreal HIP Metalic finish 910 Black Shock and I love the performance on it, but have run to a problem, I dont know how to move the tip up. Once the tip is over its over and the only way I have been able to use the pensil is by taking the bottom cap off and sticking something inside that oushes the oensil up, and it gets really messy. Im sure there a more practical and clean way of using the pensil after the first tip is over. I have gone to their main website and its crashing on my computer. I also bought a maybelline eye liner who has the same function and I ran thru the same problem, I also bought the L'Oreal Purple metalic and the same thing happened, once the tip rans out there no way of continuing using the pencil. if you have any sugestions or know who to use this pencil you can email me at gatitafina4@yahoo.com
    PLEASE

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Anon: This is a traditional pencil, which means all you have to do to is sharpen it with an eyeliner pencil sharpener, which you can find at any drugstore. I hope that helps. Also, you can use a pencil sharpener on the Maybelline pencil you mentioned as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig