Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, February 26, 2010

Review: Skindinavia No More Shine Makeup Finish





No More Shine Makeup Finish is paraben-free, SLS-free and oil-free, and here's what it promises:

Oily skin types can now have perfect makeup for hours with fewer touchups. Contains oil control system that both absorbs excess oil and controls surface shine. Stops makeup sliding and meltdown without excessive drying. Weightless mist cools makeup surface 20°F degrees to curtail oil from sliding through as shine on foundation, blush, and concealer. Light dispersing particles deflect shininess to deliver a matte look for up to 16 hours. Works with all types of makeup.

As many of you know, I have very oily skin and I LOVE powder foundation. The problem with most mattifiers is that somtimes they don't tend to work correctly with powder foundation, so when I heard that No More Shine "works with all types of makeup" I had to get a bottle.

I was lucky enough to receive 4-oz bottle of Skindinavia No More Shine Makeup Finish recently for review (retail: $29, but there is also a 2-oz bottle that retails for $19, which will last you a long time). And lucky for me, I was able to test this product during all types of weather. In the past few weeks, the weather here in San Diego has dropped to 40 degrees on some days, while shooting up to 85 degrees on other days. So I was really able to test this under a wide range of conditions.

The directions say to apply this product right before you apply your makeup (I used it a few minutes after applying my usual moisturizer) and then again after you've applied your makeup (and by makeup, they mean your entire face of makeup, including eyeshadow, mascara, the whole nine yards). You simply shake the bottle and mist 2-4 pumps of product on your face (holding the bottle approx. 8 inches from your face), both before and after makeup application.

This product has a nice, light, water-like texture, and after a few seconds, I really could not detect it on my skin AT ALL. The fragrance is pleasant and very light (sort of clean and floral) and it dissipates quickly. I didn't experience any dryness, tightness, irritation, redness or burning while using this product. Like I mentioned before, it really does feel like you're just applying a very light mist of water to your face.

Something else I noticed was that it didn't disrupt my makeup in the slightest, even my powder eyeshadows, powder blushes, powder foundation and washable mascara. I looked closely for signs that it might have left spots on my powder eyeshadow or foundation, or made my mascara run, but there was nothing at all.

So does Skindinavia No More Shine work? Yes. But I will say that it worked better in colder weather. When the temperature was colder, I found that I didn't have that break-through oiliness on my T-zone that I'm used to seeing a few hours after applying my makeup. I could get away with skipping my usual 11AM touch-up, no problem. On warmer days though (85 degrees and higher), I did see the break-through shine start to appear, but it appeared a few hours later than it usually does (around 1PM).

My favorite thing of all is that No More Shine has the ability to make my entire face of makeup just look more even and polished. I can't really explain it better than that, and it's something I had a hard time trying to capture in a photo, so the best thing I can tell you is that the name of this product perfectly describes it: it's a makeup finish for oily-skinned gals like myself. For me, No More Shine kept the oilies at bay for a few hours longer than if I had not used it, but more importantly it also gave a nice, natural, even, and more polished look to my face, which is hard to achieve sometimes, especially when using powder foundation.

You can purchase No More Shine on the Skindinavia website.

Have you tried any Skindinavia products? Are you curious about this one? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. This product definitely piques my interest as I too suffer from oily skin :( and it's difficult to find something that really works and helps keep your make-up in place for a good amount of time without touching up. Going to their site to scope it out..thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. R, I know I've whined to you on more than one occasion about having oily skin, but I might have come up with a system that really, REALLY works.

    It's called the Oil Cleansing system and I happened across it accidentally on the internet. The essence is that a 50/50 blend of castor oil and a much lighter oil, such as grapeseed or jojoba or even olive oil, will clean your face without stripping it, and your pores don't produce double time to make up for it.

    I don't have breakout prone skin despite its oiliness, just gigantic pores. So I figured it was cheap enough, I already had the grapeseed oil, and everyone swore it worked.

    It works GREAT. I use it as described to dissolve and remove makeup, then remove the traces of it with my new home-made toner. I have also started adding the oil from a vit A cap and a vit E cap to a few drops of grapeseed oil after my skin is clean and using that around my eyes overnight.

    Finally, and this is where there was an amazing difference in pore size, I started using a little squeeze of either fresh lemon or lime straight up on my face when I want to exfoliate.

    My skin is far more normal, pores around my nose are getting smaller, and the little white bumpy places that look like whiteheads but won't come out are going away.

    If it'd just make all my wrinkles go away (actually, the light crepe-y ones seem to be getting better) it would be totally perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie thnx a lot for this review.

    I've been eyeing the Skindinavia products for a while but you know, the price is pretty hefty though the reviews have been really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Go Lightly: I'm so glad I could offer your some additional info on this product! For me, it really did a great job at setting my makeup, and it truly is invisible once it's on. Can't wait to see what you think if you try it! :)

    Denise: Thanks, as always, for the great and informative comment. I've read many great things about the oil cleansing method over the years--I don't know why I haven't tried it yet. Especially after your glowing review! If/when I take the plunge, you can be sure I'll share my thoughts here. So glad you've found something that works so well for your skin. That's great! :)

    PoorCollegeStudent: Sort of, but I think Fix+ is more of a skin refresher, whereas this product is a mattifier. I've heard that Fix+ leaves some women looking oily, which is definitely not the case with No More Shine. Hope that helps! :)

    Beda: You are so welcome, honey! I would love to see your review if/when you get this! I know we are both oily-skinned girlies who love our Revlon ColorStay, so I'd like to see what this product brings to the table for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig