Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday afternoon odds & ends...


Everybody's got a junk drawer, right? The pic of the above junk drawer isn't mine (oh how I wish my junk drawer were this organized) but I'm using it to illustrate my "blogging junk drawer" of bits of information that don't quite fit into other posts. I'm going to compile all of these odds and ends into this one post, so here we go:

1) I have a new feature on my right-hand sidebar. I just put up a widget that is connected to my Google Reader. All of the articles displayed in this widget are articles that I've marked as "shared" in my reader, meaning I want to share them with you! They are mostly beauty-related news articles that I find interesting, so check it from time to time if you like to keep up on new products/lines coming soon. I might also share non-beauty-related articles here, but only if they're really amazing. For my non-beauty-related stuff, definitely check out my other little blog, Nouveau Sweet.

2) I expanded my Blog Roll to include blogs that I've been reading for a while but didn't have in my blog roll when I had my old template. I had been wanting to do a blog roll overhaul for quite some time, so I'm happy to have finally done it. A lot of the blogs on my blog roll are dedicated to budget-beauty, however I have included other fabulous beauty blogs as well. I've tried to create a good mix to cover a broad spectrum of the beauty blogging community so I hope you find it useful.

3) Info about The Wednesday Question: I want you all to know that I read each comment I receive on my weekly question, and I've been taking your comments very seriously. For instance, I received a ton of feedback on my concealer question, which indicates to me that you are just as curious as I am about new, budget-friendly concealers. This has prompted me to begin work on the "mother of all concealer posts" which I'm working on as I write this. Spoiler: I've received every single concealer that e.l.f. makes and will post a huge compare/contrast post very soon. I'll also be doing a Wet n Wild concealer post, as well as a compare/contrast post with Revlon ColorStay and Maybelline SuperStay concealers. So if you're looking for a new concealer, hold tight! Oh, and I've also got a huge mascara compare/contrast post that I'm working on as well, which was spurred by last week's question.

4) A lot of you have contacted me asking why I haven't done a review of Coastal Scents products. I agree--what kind of budget beauty blog would I be if I didn't cover this famous low-price cosmetics brand? So I'd like to let you know that I recently received my first shipment of Coastal Scents products and I'll be posting a review very soon. I received two of their most popular palettes, several brushes, brush guards, Hot Pots, and mineral samples. So please stay tuned because I'll be posting several reviews of Coastal Scents products in the near future.

5) I don't usually talk about Sephora on this blog because, well, it doesn't usually fit into the theme of budget beauty, but I do want to mention that they've got some great sales going on right now. For Smashbox fans, there's a pretty eyeshadow duo on sale for $5 (retail: $24), and there's also the TooFaced Smurfy-Eyed Liquid Eyeliners for $8.75 (retail: $17.50). Also, did you know that you can just put the word "sale" into the search bar when you're at Sephora.com and all sale items will come up (even the ones that aren't publicized)? Pretty cool trick.

6) For all you Hard Candy fiends, Jeweled Thumb just blogged about those shadow sticks that I mentioned in my post about this new collection. And guess what? They're not pencils!! You have to check this out: Hard Candy Foiled Again Metallic Shadow Stick Review.

7) If you're looking for new drugstore product information on my blog and you want it fast, just go to my labels list and click "Breaking News". I label all of my "new drugstore product" posts with this term, as well as any other information about new products, deals or sales.

8) A few of you have asked me recently why the name of my blog is "Nouveau Cheap." Let me try to sum that up as best I can and without getting too wordy:

"Nouveau Cheap" is a play on the term "Nouveau Chic" which is a term some people use to describe works of art or architecture from the Art Nouveau period (1880-1920). The Art Nouveau movement was a response by artists and architects in America and Europe against the cold, stark, post-Industrial Revolution buildings and objects of the time. Art Nouveau was an attempt to bring back beauty into the cities, and this movement was characterized by flowing lines and curves. Artists took their inspiration from the beauty of nature and it happens to be my very favorite art movement. To put it into perspective, this movement falls right in between two other very popular movements: Arts & Crafts and Art Deco. (For a great collection of Art Nouveau works, click here.)

So "nouveau chic" is often used to describe objects and buildings that are in the style of Art Nouveau. In other words, you can say that "nouveau chic" is loosely translated as a new and fresh type of chic (style, fashion, sophistication). Which brings me to the name of this blog! "Nouveau Cheap", to me, represents a new type of cheap. Yes, we all need to stick to a tight budget these days, but my goal in writing this blog is to prove that, just because you're being "cheap" doesn't mean you have to settle for crappy, low-quality beauty products. We are the NEW cheap, which means we want low-cost products that perform just as well as high-end products. We're not going to be forced to pay a lot of money for quality beauty products because, well, we shouldn't have to!

That's it for now. Hope everyone's enjoying their Sunday!

PS: I forgot to add that I have also recently added a translator widget (see upper left-hand corner). :)
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. hey im looking forward to read about your reviews on the hotpots form coastal scents

    also, its pretty interesting to know whats behind the blog name :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely will be interested to read the review on concealer because Ive been trying to find a good one for a long time now.

    http://sparklemidori.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the link a lot! I always feel like I'm "talking" to an empty room. I think you and Papaya Bunny were some of my first comments!

    I have to admit it was the title of your blog that drew me in the first time. My background is in Art/Architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, you don't even want to know what my junk drawer looks like... I looked at it this weekend and just sighed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Becky! Thanks! Between the new Hard Candy stuff and this shipment of Coastal Scents, I'm up to my ears in makeup testing right now. lol! I'll review them as soon as I can. :) Also, I'm glad I could help you understand the name of my blog (I know it was a mystery to a lot of people!). lol! xo

    Hey Jeweled Thumb! Oh believe me, you're definitely not talking to an empty room! lol. You're doing a great job so far so definitely keep it up (it took me soooo long to start getting comments on my blog posts--I feel like I must have written maybe a 100 posts before people started commenting! lol). And how cool is it that your background is in Art/Architecture! I have a BA in English but Art has always been a secret passion, especially Art Nouveau. :) xo

    Hey Amber! Oh I bet you anything my junk drawer is worse! lol. I've got some things floating around in there that are literally unidentifiable at this point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to have found this blog. I'm a big penny pinching girl and have a hard time being glam on a budget. Thanks for all the info.
    Added myself as a follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angela! Welcome!! Thanks so much for the kind words, and I hope that I can help make it easier for you to be glam on a budget! xo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I'm on pins and needles about the concealer post, can't wait to read! I also want to hear about Coastal Scents, I've been contemplating purchasing something from there. I'm on an eyeshadow kick lately and feel like I have to have every color imagineable! XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey lady! OK, I am working as quickly as possible on that Coastal Scents review, so hopefully I'll have it up before the weekend...if you need every color imaginable, this is definitely a line you need to know about! lol. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to the coastal scents review and congrats on the Hot100 (have just voted for you) . Your blog is so refreshing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, Thank you thank you thank you!!! xoxo I love your blog as well--and talk about refreshing! Your images are always so crisp and lovely. And I adore your writing style as well. :) You're on my blog roll. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That's an awesome reason for the blog name! I always loved it in that weird way that you love things you don't understand, but now that I know what it means it sounds even cooler! Way to go, G! Now you have me all fired up about us as the 'new face of cheap'- that makes me want to cheer!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig