Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, October 9, 2009

Review: Hard Candy Walk the Line Liquid Eyeliner

Today I'm bringing you the fourth in a series of Hard Candy product reviews of the items I purchased last week when Hard Candy first became available at my local Walmart.

Today's review is for the "Walk the Line" liquid liner in "Turquoise" (retail: $6).



Let me first say that the color choices in this line are AMAZING. I was instantly drawn to about four of them, but finally decided on "Turquoise" because I honestly can't remember ever buying a liquid liner even close to this color. It's stunning in the tube, isn't it?



This liquid liner comes with a nice, thin brush that isn't too floppy and isn't too hard. I'd say it's just right.



Here's a swatch taken of my hand where I tried to show you a thin line and a thick line. As you can see, the formula of this particular liner is a little streaky--it was impossible to draw a thick line without having a few streaks. No matter how many times I went back over the line, it was still streaky. The good news is that, if you draw a very thin line, there are fewer streaks (but as you can see in this pic, it's still a bit streaky). I am really wondering if this has more to do with the light color and shimmer of this shade, "Turquoise", than anything else. Maybe a darker, less shimmery color might be less streaky?



How did it pass the rub-test? This pic was taken after the liner had dried and I rubbed the lines furiously with one finger for about 10 seconds. I was happy to see that it took a bit of force to remove the liner, and even after rubbing for 10 seconds there's still a bit of product there.

Here's a look I did using a similar shade of eyeshadow (from another manufacturer) and "Turquoise" liner. I didn't use a primer in any of the following pictures:





As you can see, with a little bit of work, you CAN achieve a relatively streak-free line! The technique I had to use was to make the first line, wait a few seconds, and then go over that line with more product. But it's tricky because if you wait too long, you'll end up removing your existing line with the new, wet product. But if you don't wait long enough and your original line is still wet, you can end up removing your first line that way as well. So basically you have to wait until the liner is almost dry and has thickened up a bit. Then you can go over that line with a little more product to fill in the streaks. Practice makes perfect with this liner, but to me it's worth it for such a unique, beautiful color at such an affordable price.

Here are some pics of my eye taken about six hours later:







As you can see, my skin is a lot more oily in these "after" pics and my poor eyeshadow has faded into obscurity, but my "Walk the Line" liquid liner has really and truly walked the line. It stayed in place like a good soldier and it really didn't budge. Even on my lower lash line, the color is still there (which is a miracle in and of itself since my skin is so oily).

Let's talk about removal. I wasn't able to remove this using my normal baby wipes, however it did remove easily with my CVS eye makeup remover and a cotton pad. I haven't tried removing it with regular cleanser yet, but I'll report back when I do and let you know if that's successful.

Final Analysis: All in all, I'd say this liner is a solid four stars out of five. I'm taking away one star because you do have to futz with it to control the streakiness, but the beautiful shade, staying power and price make it a totally justifiable purchase in my book.

Have you purchased a "Walk the Line" liner yet? Do you plan to? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. The color is so pretty but the formula seems to bit a little thin...

    I probably won't be buying any hard candy because I live no where near Walmart (and for some reasons I just don't like the environment there.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it in Licorice, and I haven't really tried it out yet beyond just playing with it. Oh, I also got the lipstick in Crush for my birthday today! It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What eyeshadow is that? The combination is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute liner, but yeah, little streaky. That's really a gorgeous color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Citrine! I hear ya--I don't usually shop at Walmart (I'm more of a Target kind of girl myself) but given that I loved Hard Candy back when it was a high end brand sold at Nordstrom (even though I couldn't really afford to buy it) I knew I had to see what their new version was all about. I am loving this color so much--I'll deal with the thin formula! lol. :)

    Hey Miss Molly! I'd love to know what you think of your line when you use it! Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :) I'm so glad you're liking Crush! xo

    Hey Hana! The eyeshadow I'm wearing is actually one of the colors in a Coastal Scents palette that I'm testing. :) I'll be posting a review of it shortly if you need more details. xo

    Hey Phyrra! Yep, it's a bit streaky but I'm just so in love with the color that I'll deal with it. Thank you so much!! And also, I got your email and I'll be writing you back tomorrow AM! (I'm soooooo stoked you like CYS!! Yay!!). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know 'The Pink Traincase' is on vacation, but have you seen her swatch for the taupe colored one? I forget the name but it doesn't appear nearly as streaky as your turquoise one. Maybe the darker colors are ok?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jeweled Thumb! You know, I did see Tanya's post a while back and I agree that there seemed to be no streaking at all with the shade she bought. So I think you're right--the darker colors seem to have a better formula! Oh well...I still love this shade. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought the Flip Side (a dark, sparkly midnight blue), and I LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I remember that color and it is gorgeous! It must look so pretty on you with your dark hair. :) Glad you found the line and that you're liking it so far! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have a dark colored one.. not happy with it. it will be returned! =p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey yummy411! Oh that is a bummer. What did you not like about it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was SO psyched to see Hard Candy's el cheapo line at Walmart! I bought the liquid eyeliner in Night Sky. I like the color...but it doesn't dry. I keep my eyes closed while wildly fanning my face for 2-3 minutes and the second I reopen them, I get the lovely dark grey glitter parentheses above my eyes from where the line on the upper lid has smeared. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I solved the problem of it applying in a streaky manner. I actually don't use the brush included with the eyeliner. I paint the liner onto the end of one of my own flat push eyelining brushes and push it into the base of my lashes instead of dragging it along the lashline. It applies in an even bright line that way.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig