Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Review: Sally Girl Blush (the best $1.99 blush ever!)

A lot of you know that I've been really feeling the love for Sally Girl Eyeshadows lately, so it was only a matter of time before I tried one of their blushes. For $1.99 (currently on sale for $1.69), how could I pass up a chance to try a non-shimmery powder blush in a nice, natural color (my favorite type of blush, fyi).

The first thing I noticed was that, compared to the teeny tiny packaging of the Sally Girl eyeshadows, nail polishes, lipsticks and glosses, you sure do get a lot of blush for $1.99. The Sally Girl Blush compact is actually the same size as just about any other blush:


The name of this color is "388404 Flushed", which, contrary to the picture above, is a nice dusty, peachy-rose.

Here it is compared to one of my favorite blushes of all time, Bobbi Brown Sand Pink:


Now, I'm not trying to say that the Sally Girl blush is a dupe of the BB blush, or even close to it. I just wanted to show you the size of each, so that you can see that you're getting a lot of product with the Sally Girl.

Let's talk about the blush itself. Now that is where I CAN compare it to Bobbi Brown. Yes, I said it. I'm as shocked as you are. Or maybe you're not too shocked, so I'll be shocked for the both of us. You see, I'm a hardcore Bobbi Brown powder blush fan. I have been a fan of her blushes for probably over a decade now, and that's because Bobbi's colors are unbelieveably fantastic on all skintones, plus her powder blushes have the craziest staying power of all time (for me at least) and they blend like a dream.

So trust me when I say that if I am comparing this Sally Girl blush to a Bobbi Brown blush, it's a big deal for me. Take a look at these swatches:

Top: Sally Girl "Flushed"
Bottom: Bobbi Brown "Sand Pink"

Now obviously the colors are nowhere near the same, but the consistency of the powder is surprisingly similar. Also, I had no problems whatsoever with applying or blending the Sally Girl blush. The color is fantastic for when I'm wearing a bronze, copper or peach look on my eyes or lips, and I'm happy to report that this blush lasted on my cheeks for the entire day (I should note that I was wearing Revlon ColorStay Mousse Foundation and ColorStay pressed powder in addition to this blush).

Now let's not get crazy and say that these are equal to Bobbi Brown blushes. No one can rival the colors, blendability and staying power of Bobbi's blushes (you can try to argue me on that but I'll never believe you!). But if you cannot afford to pay $22 for a Bobbi Brown powder blush, and you're a fan of non-shimmery, "safe" colors like dusty rose and peach, I would highly suggest giving Sally Girl a try. For under two dollars, you just aren't going to find a better blush. Actually, I take that back: You might be able to find a better blush for a dollar from e.l.f., but I haven't tried their Natural Radiance Blushers yet, so I can't say for sure.

If you've already tried Sally Girl blushes, or are planning on trying them, I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I love blushes and that's a really nice peachy color! I love that it's matte too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome review. Its crazy how you cant really tell the difference between their quality. I love the color too. Its just so awesome lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to confess that I love, love, love your blog! You're so clear, thoughtful, and charming; I really look forward to reading each day. Thank you for being you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sally's blushes as well. I bought C-Ya which is cool pink and it looks really good on top of the pink cream blush :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love browsing your blog as I am a bargain shopper as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey ndoodles! Well if you love matte blushes, you definitely need to check these babies out. :)

    Hey Becky! Thank you! I'd love to know what you think of these if you give them a try! xo

    Hi Elizabeth! WOW, thank you so so so much! Your comment just totally made my day!! So thank YOU for being YOU too, and I hope I don't let you down with the charming part. lol!!! xo

    Hey alterogoishere! I was looking at C-Ya but was afraid it might be too cool for me. I think I'll take another look...I love layering powders over creams and tints for more intensity. :) PS: So glad you enjoy browsing through my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love finding good bargains. Have you tried the Silk Naturals makeup? they have dupes of higher end products like MAC, Bobbi brown, etc. And they are just about $ 4-6. Take a look at my blog about it. http://alteregoishere.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/review-silk-naturals-1/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, as always! Another great budget blush is Jane. I have Blushing Sheer Earth. Applies very smoothly and you can build up color-great natural peachy shade. Usually $3-4. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi alteregoishere! I haven't even heard of Silk Naturals, can you believe it? I am so behind when it comes to MMU, it's sad. lol. But thank you for the great info--I will definitely have to check them out (those prices are amazing!). AND they have BB dupes? That's incredible! xo

    Hey Michelle! Thank you so much! Jane is awesome for blushes, but I've found that the powder blushes don't have any staying power for me, sadly. This really bums me out because the colors are gorgeous and you know I love matte blushes. lol. BUT, their mineral blushes last all day. They are incredible for the days I like to wear something shimmery. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'll try anything cheap and matte. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Anon! As far as cheap and matte go, I don't think you can do much better than this blush. lol. I would LOVE to know what you think if you end up purchasing one! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'll definitely do that Recessionista. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wanting to try the Sally Girl brand for a while now, but I haven't been to Sally's Beauty Suplly recentley. The next time I go there, I will definetly try their blush! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig