Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, September 19, 2009

Review: Queen Helene Soy & Cocoa Butter Hand & Body Lotion (new paraben-free formula!)

I never thought I'd see the day. Queen Helene, makers of the iconic Mint Julep Facial Masque, now make some paraben-free products!

If you're into bath and body stuff like I am, then you know that more and more manufacturers are making the shift to paraben-free products, or at least offering one or two formulas within their range that are paraben-free. But I never expected the more economical brands, such as Queen Helene, to jump on the paraben-free train this quickly!

I was at Sally Beauty recently and I was pleasantly surprised to see this product on the shelf:



Queen Helene Soy & Cocoa Butter Hand and Body Lotion is a brand new product that is paraben-free, and cocoa butter and soybean oil are the fourth and fifth ingredients, respectively. I would also like to add that the tenth ingredient in this lotion is sodium laurel sulfate, which I found a bit peculiar since this is a known detergent/foaming agent. I'm not exactly sure why it's in this lotion, except that maybe it's being used as an emulsifier. Regardless, I did want to state that this product contains SLS in case you're trying to avoid this ingredient.

As with other Queen Helene lotions, you get a huge bottle (32 oz) for the price (retail: $4.49, $3.99 with a Sally Card). And as with other Queen Helene cocoa butter products, the fragrance is quite yummy. It smells like cocoa butter and the texture isn't too runny or too thick. For me, it's the perfect consistency for a lotion:



This lotion spreads easily and absorbs quickly, yet it does leave a thin coating on the skin. I found this coating to be pleasant (it's not sticky or greasy) and it makes my skin feel extra soft. This lotion kept my skin feeling soft and hydrated all day and into the night, and it worked well on both my hands and feet in addition to my body.

For the price and size, this is definitely an economical way to stay hydrated this fall and winter. The healing properties of cocoa butter can't be denied, and I'm very happy to see this product in a paraben-free formula. Again, the only thing that raises eyebrows is the SLS, but if you're already using products that contain SLS (almost all drugstore facial cleansers, shampoos and body washes contain SLS) and you're ok with this ingredient, then this shouldn't bother you.

Do you use any Queen Helene products? What's your favorite?

Also, stay tuned because I'll be reviewing Queen Helene's new paraben-free Avocado and Grapefruit Facial Masque next week.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Wow... SLS in a lotion? I've never heard of it being used as an emulsifier before, and I'm not really sure what purpose it would serve. That kind of turns me off a bit. :(

    Otherwise, though, it sounds like a great product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenn! I know, I thought it was a little strange too, so I looked it up and found that it's sometimes used as an emulsifier (I'd never heard of that before) so I'm assuming that's why they used it. Who knows... But you're right, otherwise it's a good product and I like how it feels on my skin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the Mud Pack Masque with natural English clay. It a)smells pretty, like roses or something and b)has English clay. I'm such an Anglophile that--even though I'm sure it isn't from England--this is why I bought it.

    And I speak in an English accent when I use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dangerkitty, you are cracking me up!! :) I think I'll start saying the name of that masque in an English accent too. It just makes it all sound so much more regal! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig