Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Review: Milani Spotlights Baked Eyeshadow Quads

Alright, so when I purchased those new Milani nail lacquers that I've been raving about for the past few days, I also spotted this new Milani eyeshadow display:

(click to enlarge)


(These are the two quads that you can't really see in the other pics)

Now from what I can tell, they've created a few new Runway Eyes palettes (the one with the birght green and blue stripes looks new to me but I could be wrong) and then they've got these new Runway Spotlights mini-quads. I've got to say that $6.49 for an eyeshadow quad that's about the same size as an eyeshadow single is a little steep, but I fell in love with the green shades in "01 Go Lights" so I figured I'd try it out:


Here's a pic comparing the Milani Runway Spotlights quad to the Carlo di Roma quad (retail: $1) and a Victoria's Secret Wet/Dry Eyeshadow, just for size comparison:


So as you can see, you're not getting a lot of product for almost 7 dollars, but that's not the only issue I have with these little quads.

Let me say that it was very difficult to apply enough color on my arm to be able to take this swatch photo, and even after rubbing and rubbing my brush on the lighter shade of green in the quad, this was the best I could do:


Next, let me tell you that these powders are EXTREMELY soft. I mean, they're don't-even-think-about-dropping-this soft. I was a witness to what happens if you DO drop this quad, and it's not pretty. A girl standing next to me at CVS accidentally dropped one on the floor, which is carpeted, and the entire quad crumbled into dust. Literally, we both watched it drop, and when she picked it up we were both shocked. I've never seen an eyeshadow crumble and be destroyed so easily. The thing only dropped about 3 feet, to a carpeted floor!

Lastly, the other thing I didn't care for about this quad was that after I applied all four colors to my eyes, I was only moderately happy with the results. The colors were all sort of blah. But then it got worse, I'm afraid. As the day wore on, the colors all seemed to blend together on my eyelids to form ONE color by the end of the day. In other words, I started the day with champagne shimmer on my browbone, light green on my lid and dark green and brown in the crease. By the end of the day, it all sort smooshed together and turned into gray. It looked like I was just wearing one shade of gray on my lids and crease.

Final Analysis: If you're looking to wear just one shade at a time from these quads, these might work for you. But wearing a few shades together at the same time could result in the colors blending together and taking away from each individual color. Also, if you do purchase one, don't expect excellent pigmentation, and definitely do not drop one of these on the ground, even in a carpeted room, or you could be left with dust. The one thing I didn't do was try these wet, which could add to the color intensity. I think I'll try that before I return this quad and maybe I'll get better results, because really, the colors are so pretty in the pan.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Oh no! What a shame- those colors do look fantastic in the pan.

    Nothing around me sells Milani anymore...Everything got clearanced out at CVS! The single shadows are nice, but not the greatest quality.

    Oh well, at least you can return it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow they look so great in the packaging....I'm disappointed to hear about the color payoff...maybe they apply better wet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh bummer! Anything that could go wrong went wrong with this one. Too bad. How could they let that happen considering how well they did with the single shadows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! thanks for commenting back on my blog! I will def. check those out. I'm currently using the Garnier Nutritioniste moisturizer, and although its not making me break out..I was thinking of trying out some anti aging moisturizers/creams.

    Its better to try to be ahead of those damn wrinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it could be just that particular quad - like the green quads suck but the blue ones are awesome...

    They look like (sorta) the MAC's baked shadow quads. But I think they were going for that look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa Kate! Well at least you don't have to be bummed that you can't find this particular product in your area! lol! :) And yes, I definitely will be returning this. Sad!

    Hey CD! Thanks for the rec. I actually did try this wet yesterday and I'm sad to report that while it did make the colors more intense, it didn't last. The colors faded quickly and I experienced creasing within the hour. :(

    Hey Halifax! I know, it's such a bummer! Maybe they were in a hurry to get these new shadows out into the marketplace and didn't give them the attention they needed? I don't know... :(

    Hey Sheila! Glad I could help. :) And I'd love to know what you think if you try either one of those!

    Hey ndoodles! You've got a good point. I have experienced that before--where one quad or color is bad but another quad is good. If you end up buying one, I'd love to know your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame about the quad... these def. look like they could be great dupes of the MAC mineral quads! Too bad the green didn't work for you. :( Did you use a primer with it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. why is it that milani only seems to do non matte shadows?! saw their site not too long ago and there was only 1 matte shadow. same thing in stores near me, well except there was no matte shadows at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jenn! I did try it with a primer, and I also tried it wet. Sadly, it didn't improve the performance enough to make me want to keep it. :( Such a bummer!! But maybe it's just the greens...the other quads might be better?

    Hey Anon--Tell me about it! I feel the exact same way. It's frustrating because I love my matte eyeshadows and I love Milani's colors. It's frustrating that they don't make matte versions of their colors because I don't always want to sparkle, you know? :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig