Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, September 10, 2009

Review: Love's Baby Soft, Sugar Kiss and Berry Sweet Cologne, Shimmery Powder and Lotion

Ladies, I am absolutely thrilled to share with you these new products by Dana Classics, the makers of the one and only, original, iconic, Love's Baby Soft.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know I am a huge fan of the original Love's Baby Soft cologne, and I'm an even bigger fan of what I like to call the "Poor Man's (or Woman's) Pink Sugar", Love's Sugar Kiss. Honestly, if you're a fan of Aquolina's Pink Sugar but you can't afford the price tag, Love's Sugar Kiss is a lovely substitute and, in my opinion, it's a bit softer and more wearable than Pink Sugar.

So imagine my excitement when I spoke to someone at Dana Classics and they offered to send me some products for review! I jumped at the chance, and now I'd like to share them with you.

First let's start with Love's Glam Collection. In this set you get the following products:


For $12.99 you get three generously-sized bottles of spray cologne mist (Love's Baby Soft, Love's Sugar Kiss and Love's Berry Sweet, .69 fl oz each) and two Shimmery Powder Brushes in Love's Baby Soft fragrance (the pink one) and Love's Berry Sweet (the purple one). For this price, that's one heck of a bargain since a 1-oz cologne spray of just one of these fragrances retails for $12.50.

So let's start with the cologne sprays. Oh how I love them all! They have good staying power, yet they're light and soft, which is exactly what you want from a Love's product, right? My favorite of the three is Sugar Kiss, because it's just got the sweetest, softest, most feminine fragrance to it. I'm telling you, if you like Pink Sugar, you've got to try Sugar Kiss. It's got a yummy vanilla note with a subtle caramel background mixed with the softness of the original Love's Baby Soft. To me, the drydown is soft, soft, soft and clean, yet it's still got that delicious candy-like quality.

The original Love's Baby Soft probably doesn't need any explanation, but if you're one of the few who have never sniffed this scent, think baby powder kicked up a notch. It's definitely got the baby powder note, but it's got a soft femininity about it while at the same time, it manages to stay clean and not headache-inducing. It's definitely a scent that would appeal to young and old alike.

Love's Berry Sweet is is just that: berry and sweet. To my nose, it's like you took Love's Baby Soft and added a mixture of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries to it. The top notes are definitely berries, but once this adjusts to your skin the clean notes kick in and turn the fragrance into a subtle, sweet, and soft scent that's still got a faint berry note to it to keep things interesting.

Next let's move on to the Shimmery Powder Brushes. These are so fun!


As you can see, you have to unscrew the brush from the base to get to the powder. There is a seal at the base of the brush that you need to remove, and once you do, the powder will gently flow from the container down through the bristles of the brush and onto your skin. I dipped my finger directly into the powder to show you what it looks like, and here's a picture taken after I removed the seal from the brush base and rubbed the brush onto my hand:


I tried to enlarge this picture so you could see the shimmer but I'm afraid my camera just isn't picking it up. In real life, this is nice, fine, silver sparkly powder--no big chunks of glitter here. This is the perfect powder to use on your body for a nice, sparkly, yet subtle look. As far as shimmer powders go, this is one of the nicest ones I've tried because it's subtle but you can still see the sparkle. Also, I should add that this powder has a wonderful, subtle fragrance (one is Love's Baby Soft, the other is Berry Sweet). In addition to fragrance, this powder does contain talc and mica, so you definitely want to keep it away from your face and only use it on your body.

Let's move on to the Silky Soft Love's Moisturizing Body Lotions! Let me just say that, for the price (retail: $5) these babies are HUGE! Each bottle of lotion is a full 12 oz! I took a picture comparing it to a bottle of GVP Conditioner for some perspective:


Also, I simply adore the nozzle on these squeeze bottles. They are the kind that you pull up to open, and they're in the shape of a heart. Adorable!

(I squeezed a little lotion out so that you could see the opening)

I received lotions in all three scents (Love's Baby Soft, Love's Sugar Kiss and Love's Berry Sweet) and all of these lotions smell exactly like their cologne counterparts. I really like the formula because it's not thin and runny, yet it's not so thick that it's hard to apply. It feels nice and moisturizing on the skin, yet it's not sticky or too greasy. Also, for an inexpensive lotion, I was surprised to see that it contains some good-for-you ingredients such as shea butter and sodium PCA. Lastly, I'd like to add that this product is cruelty free and no animal testing. Yay!

I should also mention that Love's makes body splashes and shower gels in all three of these fragrances as well, and they are also $5 each (click here for a full list).

So...would you like to own a Love's Glam Collection of your very own? Well stick around because I might just be hosting a giveaway in the very near future (like, tomorrow!). In the meantime, tell me if you're a longtime devotee or a new fan of Love's products. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Awww...Love's Baby Soft! Sends me back to the days when I was you n and spry. :-)

    I'll have to try Sugar Kiss. I like Aquolina's Pink Sugar, but it gives me a headache after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dangerkitty! I totally agree. One whiff and I'm back to being in junior high again. Love that! :)

    And yes, if PS gives you a headache sometimes, you need to give Sugar Kiss a try. And of course let me know what you think! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got all three of the perfumes for Christmas. My favorite is Sugar Kiss- it smells distinctly vanilla/sugar cookie-like, with a hint of that baby powder. I love it all! They are light and pretty, not too obvious but not fading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this product!! But I went to the Dana Website and cannot find the Loves Sugar Kiss Shimmer Powder. Does anyone know where I can buy this? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Sugar Kiss shimmer powder brush!! Where can I purchase this? I have looked on the Dana website and it is not there not sure why either..lol Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig