Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are you a Sephora girl or an Ulta girl?

OR


Before you answer that question, take a look at this fascinating article in the New York Times about Ulta's rise to conquer Sephora as the most popular beauty store in the land. The article brings up some very interesting points. For instance, there's a growing trend in consumers who like the convenience of high-end and drugstore beauty products sold under the same roof. Ulta's just about the only place where you can pick up a Lorac eyeshadow and a Maybelline mascara at the same time, and there are a lot of us savvy shoppers who find this appealing, as opposed to the high-end-only world of Sephora.

On the flipside of the coin, I know there are a lot of us who feel like a kid in a candy store when we walk into Sephora. Sure, we can't afford to buy everything we want, but much like a kid who can't eat everything in a candy store, we love to look and part of the thrill is pairing down our shopping basket to just one or two must-have items.

So...I'd love for you to weigh in here: Are you an Ulta girl or a Sephora Girl? And why? Leave a comment and let me know!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. I like the idea of Ulta and would definitely walk into that place if it exists in New York City! But I hardly ever walk into a Sephora (which is so accessible here) because I couldn't bring myself to pay those prices :\

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Sephora girl, simply because there is no Ulta in my area. If there were, I think I'd like it more because of the range of brands/prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Ulta to shop when they have sales. One pet peeve is that Ulta's prices are sometimes not listed or misleading. You have to be aware.

    I love to walk around in sephora, but my shopping days there are over. You know, I used to work part-time at Sephora. Fun store, but I would leave my little paycheck there all the time.
    Interesting fact, when I buy highend products, I rarely use it. The product usually sits in my drawer unused months after purchasing it. So, needless to say, I limit my highend purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all about the Sephora, simply because of the experience.. I've been in both and nothing beats the high of expensive cosmetics haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. ULTA! I love going in there, plus I hope to work there very soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been to an Ulta store so i cant answer ugh!! I bet its great having high end and low end in one roof :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just got an Ulta and I've been enjoying it pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are no Ultas in NYC, so Sephora by default lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm an Ulta mainly girl because they have a store in my hometown and Sephora doesn't. I'm too cheap for Sephora anyway, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Sephora but only truly shop there when I have a gift certificate. So I guess that I am really an Ulta girl. There is an Ulta near my home and I get fantastic deals with store coupons and sale prices. And Recessionista, you are the one who originally turned me on to Ulta!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ulta here! Well, I don't have a Sephora but being all fancy and everything, it doesn't attract me as much :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I live in Canada, so no Ulta's here, but I like Sehpora.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, thanks so much, everyone! I love that you all responded and I find it interesting that the responses included some things I never thought about, like geography. If there isn't an Ulta or Sephora in your city (or country!) then you don't really have a choice as to which store you visit. Interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am most definitely an Ulta girl..especially considering i work right next to one! i really love the fact that i can check out the expensive makeup and see if they have the same thing for less in the drugstore section. and i am constantly getting great coupons from them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Giselle! Oh if I worked next to an Ulta I would be in BIG trouble. lol! And those coupons are great--you're right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like my local beauty supply :]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ulta is good but it doesn't carry enough high end products like Sephora. The only thing I buy from them are NYX products. If you want drug store products, cvs and walgreens are better because the have b1g1 more frequently. So I just shop everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig