Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, July 25, 2009

Review: New Wet n Wild Natural Wear Lip Shimmers

If there's a lip shimmer that's $1.99, you can pretty much bet that I'm going to buy it. I'm a freak for these things (hello, Burt's Bees, I'm talking to you!) so you know I had to get my hands on one of these new Wet n Wild Natural Wear Lip Shimmers when I saw this display a few weeks ago:


The colors of the Lip Shimmers are, from left to right: Frost, Sugar, Spice and Tart. The two empty holes in the display are where "Spice" should be, but when I took this picture they were out of this shade. Naturally, this was the shade I wanted, but I settled for "Sugar" because I actually don't already own a blueish-pink lip shimmer so I thought it would be fun to try.

Now, when I got "Sugar" home I was very surprised to open the cap and see this:


WnW is not kidding they say these are Lip Shimmers. Whoa MAMA is this frosty! This shade is so light it almost looks like pure white frost on my lips. I loooove the peppermint tingle to these and they are pretty darn moisturizing, but the color? Not so much. I couldn't get a good shot of my lips wearing "Sugar" but here are some swatches on my hand:


I love light, frosty lip colors but just not on me. I can't pull them off, even though I never stop trying. Sadly, they just look plain stupid on my lips. But if you can pull off a light frosty shade, definitely check out "Frost" and "Sugar" in this collection. The coverage and pigmentation on these is insane for a lip shimmer. Seriously, these look like lipsticks on, but they feel like a lip balm. Crazy.

I knew I had to exchange this for a better color, so for the next two weeks I went all over town looking for a display that had "Spice" still available. I finally found one and I was soooo happy to see the color of the cap because this totally looked like a shade that would work for me:

(My camera makes this look kind of brown but it's actually a nice medium berry with no brownish tone to it)

So I braced myself when I opened the lid and here's what I saw:


Pretty darn true to the color of the cap! But SURPRISE, no shimmer. Not one spec of shimmer to this one. It's a creme, through and through.

Now here's the crazy part. Look at this swatch:

Look at how pigmented this baby is! It's the most opaque lip shimmer I've ever seen! Now, I would say that this pic is the most true to the actual color of "Spice" except that in real life, it's got a tad more blue to it.

Seriously guys, the creaminess and opacity of this lip shimmer is unrivaled. But the craziest thing is that it still feels like a balm on your lips.

Final Analysis: If you like lip shimmers, you will definitely want to check these out. But keep your receipt because it may take one or two tries to find the right shade for you. But in terms of coverage, these wear like a lipstick and they are packed with great, natural ingredients such as fruit and flower extracts. Also, the smooth feel and peppermint tingle to these is probably going to be your only reminder that you're wearing a lip shimmer and not a lipstick. A great buy for $1.99.
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. That "Spice" looks good! $1.99 sounds like a great price, I will check it out when I get the chance. I kinda wonder what they do with the opened products people return to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, what do you do with products that you don't return to the store but you don't like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh crap I think I want this now. I actually bought that Black Radiance taupe loose shimmer eyeshadow on Friday because of your review of it, and I love it, so I figure I'll love this too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kitty! Whenever I return or exchange a product at Rite-Aid, the clerk takes the product and puts it into a bin along with all of the other returned products (there are usually a lot of products in that bin!). Rite-Aid in particular accepts returns on all beauty products (even hair care) but I don't know if they are required to return the used products to the manufacturer or if the just keep them in-store for inventory purposes until they've all been accounted for. Good question.

    Also, I try to return the products that don't work for me and not hold on to them if I don't have to, but there ARE a lot of products in my stash that I don't currently use. If I really don't like them, I'll eventually toss them or give them to a friend who wants them, but sometimes I will hold on to something just so that I can compare it something else later on down the road. It comes in handy for my blog, because sometimes I'll buy something and say, "Wait, this is almost identical to XYZ product, which I know I already own." So I'll dig through my stash and find that product so that I can compare it. I love passing info like that along to my readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Joey! OMG, I am soooo happy that you like the Black Radiance loose shimmer eyeshadow!! YAY! You totally made my day. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is actually trying the products I recommend! lol :)

    If you end up getting one of these lip shimmers, I would LOVE to know what you think!

    Thank you SO much for taking the time to leave such a nice comment. It means so much to me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were on sale at my Rite Aid for 50 cents!! I started to get one, but didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rai! That is an insane price! Wow. I wonder if that means these are just seasonal and/or limited edition. Thanks for the info! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there. I tried these in sugar and berry and, though normally someone who can pull off the light shimmer, Sugar was waaaaaaaaay overboard. Hard candy makes a nice gloss that works in a shimmery, non-scary way. Unfortunately the pigment of the berry is off shade too much for me to wear though I do like the amount of pigment and smell.
    So glad you reviewed the HIP mineral eyeliners. I had the same experience with it not lasting as my dear Prestige Total Intensity liners do. It smeared within a couple of hours in a non-sweaty environment. Very disappointing. Wondering about the amount of shimmer involved with the prestige blushes you reviewed late last week. No longer can pull that off. Thoughts? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Suz! Oh wait a second, did I get the name wrong on the shade that I own?? I thought it was "Spice" but the color of the shade is only printed on the safety seal, which of course I threw out before I reviewed this. Maybe it's "Berry" and not "Spice"?? Oh boy...I better find out. Oh and sorry that the shade didn't work out for you--if I don't use a light hand it can be a bit too much for me too.

    Glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed with that HiP liner. Major bummer.

    About that blush--it's pretty shimmery so if you can't do shimmer I think I'd avoid it. But have you tried the Jane Be Pure Mineral loose blushes? I just discovered these and they are AWESOME. Excellent shades, great pigmentation and staying power, and the shade "Mink" is a perfect peachy neutral with only very subtle shimmer. Highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked these up too. I got Spice and Tart the darker of the shades. For $1.99 they're not bad, I keep them stashed in my purse to throw on. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mama Mish Mash! Oh I was wondering about Tart--is it super dark? It looks like it could be a dark brick red shade. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you're welcome! Considering my recent (successful) forays into the world of drugstore makeup, I've been going through your blog for anything that may strike my fancy =) so yes, people do pay attention to what you write! And considering the economy at the moment, your blog is extra helpful! So thank YOU =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Joey! I'm so glad you're finding my blog useful, and hopefully I'll continue to help you weed through the drugstore jungle and find those gems. :) Also, please feel free to drop me an email if you ever discover anything noteworthy that I haven't covered here. I always love to get recs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is crazy! You know I'm not a Wet n' Wild person at all, but the Spice is beautiful and I can't believe how well it performed for you. Good catch there, I would have been turned off at the first frosty so you did some excellent investigative work there!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Amber! :) You know, you're right. I should have been turned off by that first frosty shade, but something inside me just kept telling me to exchange it...it was like I knew there was going to be a better color for me under one of those caps. lol. Thank you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Burt Bee's lip shimmer but am bummed that it has no SPF. :( Is Spf8 enough? Has anyone tried this one with spf?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Marina! I love the Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers too (I actually did a review of them here on this blog) but I have not tried the new ones with SPF 8. Also, I'm not sure what the recommended SPF is for lips--good question! But what I can say is that the WnW lip shimmers are a lot more pigmented than the Burt's Bees lip shimmers, so it really depends on what look you're going for. And as you know, the Burt's Bees lip shimmers come in a much larger selection of colors. Personally, each brand is good for a specific purpose and I love 'em both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like light lip gloss on me for some reason, so I always get the lightest burts bees color. It never comes out light enough on my lips though and it fades quickly. Also, its SO expensive! It's like 6 or 7 dollars for one tube! And they always break! I just purchased the frost color in this lip gloss and I love it. It's the light pink color that I've been looking for FOREVER. I definitely recommend it to someone who likes light lip gloss. It feels exactly like burts bees on my lips too. So its the same quality, except a more reasonable price and its better.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig