Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Review: L'Occitane Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap

In case you don't know, I'm a total bar-soap addict and have been for many, many years. I know that there are some people who dismiss bar soap in favor of a nice shower gel, but I happen to love both because each form has its benefits. While I appreciate the convenience of shower gel, I deeply respect the time-honored tradition of soap-making, which is a craft that requires a tremendous amount of skill, knowledge and patience to master. A good bar soap produces a lather so rich and so decadent that I've yet to find a shower gel that can compete with its luxuriousness. And this is precisely why I have been a long-time fan of L'Occitane French Soap.

I was so extremely excited to receive a product for review recently, because L'Occitane is a company I have always loved (their perfumes are amazing!), even though the price range is a little beyond what I would normally pay for bath products. I like to think of buying a bar of L'Occitane soap as a "necessary indulgence" that is not only luxurious, but also helps improve the texture of my skin.

L'Occitane soaps are made in France from a 100% pure vegetable base (no "Fight Club" stuff here, thank you very much!) and contain lots of shea butter. I probably don't need to explain to you the wonderful benefits of shea butter for your skin, so let's just say that having shea butter in your soap helps to combat that dry, tight feeling that your skin may be left with after using other bar soaps. But here's the best part: L'Occitane soaps leave you feeling moisturized, yet they also leave you with that wonderful squeaky-clean feeling. There is no icky film or residue left behind; just smooth, moisturized, clean skin. Love it!

L'Occitane Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap in "Verbena"

I've been using L'Occitane Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap in the scent "Verbena" for the past two weeks and I've loved every second spent in my shower. My personal method for using bar soap is to run it under the shower for a minute and then rub it into a bath pouf. In my experience, you get such a thick, plentiful lather this way and it's much easier to apply the soap to your skin (as opposed to just rubbing the actual soap on your skin). My boyfriend prefers the direct method (rubbing the soap directly on the skin) which is probably what most men prefer, but he also is able to get a nice, thick lather this way. I should also add that L'Occitane soaps last a loooong time so you definitely get your money's worth from just one bar. The scent "Verbena" is a wonderful, clean citrus scent that is perfect for men and women and is a good choice if you're not sure which scent to purchase.

L'Occitane Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap retails for $7 (3.5 oz bar) online and in L'Occitane boutiques nationwide.

Are you a fan of L'Occitane Shea Butter products? If so, have you tried their bar soaps? I'd love to know your thoughts.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Oh, man. I love L'Occitane so much. Fortunately, they don't have a store near me or I would bankrupt myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leigh! Thank you so much for letting me know I'm not alone in my obsession with L'Occitane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    We loved your blog post so much that we tweeted about it at http://twitter.com/LOCCITANE

    We hope you continue to enjoy our Shea Butter soaps and continue to discover other new products to pamper yourself with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, L'Occitane! I didn't know you were on twitter! I just followed you. :)

    Thank you so much for the RT and I'm delighted that you enjoyed my review. I am a huge, longtime fan of your products and I'm excited to continue exploring all of the new products you release in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. L'Occitane has such great quality products, without dangerous chemicals. I love their lavendar scent!

    Have you tried Whole Foods brand(don't laugh, normally known as "Whole Paycheck") South of France bar soaps? They have a french-milled, line that is gorgous. Like you, I am a big bar soap fan (has to be french milled) and love, love, love the Vetiver scent --- it's woodsy but is tempered with a lovely citrus so any femine lady with a little mystery can wear it. The soap is triple milled, so it is very dense and it makes up for the price tag: around $6-$7, but it's like buying 3 bars. It will last a very long time, AND the scent will remain with it to the end. Their other scents are very pleasing as well. I think the packaging is nice, too, and it would make a nice stocking stuffer, or a gift if grouped with some other fun luxury things, like white or green teas, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon! Thanks for the great comment. I have tried South of France soaps in the past and you're right--the quality is fantastic! And what a great gift-giving idea. Thank you! :)

    Do you ever use cold process soaps? I love the French milled soaps because of their rich and creamy lathers (and how you mentioned--they last FOREVER) but I've found that the cold process soaps also have wonderful lathers and can a bit less drying on my skin. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig