Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, February 20, 2014

Review & Swatches: China Glaze Sand Dolla Make You Holla

Sand Dolla Make You Holla (that name!) is part of the China Glaze Spring 2014 Sea Goddess Collection. It's the only polish I really, really wanted from this collection, so I did not hesitate to grab it when Sally Beauty was having that one-day-only sale last week (all China Glaze polishes were $3.99 for one day). So let's take a look!

 China Glaze Sand Dolla Make You Holla
(retail: around $7, 0.5 oz)




This is a textured polish that contains tiny multi-colored metallic hex glitter in a sheer white base. The base tends to look a little pink on my nails, but it's white in the bottle.

 Three coats, no top coat


The polish was quite sheer on the first and second coats, but it did become a lot more opaque on the third coat. I could have probably used a fourth coat, but I loved the frosting-like look of three coats, so I stopped there. I have to say, this polish totally achieves a frosting-and-sprinkles effect on the nail. It looks like this Pop Tart! How fun, right?

In real life, the glitter sparkles a lot more than what you see above. I took a picture in low-lighting to try and capture the effect--you can see the sparkle a bit better here:


And here's what this polish looks like with top coat:

 Three coats of Sand Dolla Make You Holla plus two coats of top coat

I like it with top coat as well, but it looks more like a glaze (versus frosting) with top coat. 


As for application, this polish was a bit patchy due to the sheerness of the base color combined with it being a textured polish, but for me it's SO worth it. After three coats, the patchiness does go away, but if you wanted to expedite the process, you could apply a coat of white creme polish first, and then apply two coats of Sand Dolla Make You Holla.  I think that would eliminate the need for a third coat and it would make things look more even, as well. But if you're like me and you like the idea of frosting and sprinkles on your nails, apply three coats and you'll get it!  By the way, dry-time was great for all three coats.

Do you own any of the polishes from the China Glaze Spring 2014 Sea Goddess Collection? If so, which shades do you own and how do you like them? 

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. Ohh, this is so pretty. And Spring-y and girl-y!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This color is so pretty! Funny, when I saw that first photo, I thought about frosting and sprinkles as well. YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It gives me a craving for cupcakes with icing and sprinkles, haha! Love it with topcoat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got all of them. I really love seahorsin around but there was only one true dud in the collex for me which was teal the tide turns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crap I got 4 polishes during this sale, now you're making me wish this was one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    So this is unrelated to the post, but it's rather important (in beauty news).
    I was reading a blog post from a different blog, and she posted a review about how the L'Oreal Micellar Water has landed in Canada!!!! I'm going to buy it later lol
    I posted this on the You Tell Me page, but I'm unsure when you'll get to look at it.
    I posted the blog name in the You Tell Me page, but I'm unsure if it will be marked as spam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyways, hopefully this comment isn't considered spam. This is the link:
    http://prescriptionforpretty.blogspot.ca/2014/02/loreal-sublime-soft-micellar-solution.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely needed 4 coats with this and I found it really hard to work with. The difficult formula made me not like this polish at all. Interesting that your nails look pink though, because I did not get that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally reminds me of one of those animal circus cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute. I hope I find his collection soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welp, I just got Wish On A Starfish yesterday and thought that was the only one I NEEDED from this collection...nope, looks like Sand Dolla Make You Holla will be coming home, too. I love how it looks like funfetti cake frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the way it looks with top coat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I need to find me this nail polish. But what's going to stop me from eating? Haha. Kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so pretty, definitely my type of polish, I just hate that I would have to apply 2-3 coats to get a decent amount of color! If I do purchase this I will take your advice and put a white base coat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm,how hard is this to get off

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got this today and used a white base coat, though I did only need two coats of Sand Dolla (could've gotten away with one) it was hardly textured which made me sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I picked this up on clearance at Sally's Beauty Supply- I really like the combo of colored glitters it has in the milky base. My experience with SDMYH is similar to yours- it took me 3 coats to reach opacity, and I find that it definitely leans pink on me, as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig