Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, January 27, 2014

Review & Swatches: Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Overcoat in Open Mica Night

The minute I first showed you the new-for-2014 Complete Salon Manicure Overcoats (permanent, not limited edition) back in November, I knew I had to get that square holo glitter polish! You don't often see square-shaped glitter polishes at the drugstore, and it's even more rare to see holographic square glitter at the drugstore. Kudos to Sally Hansen for introducing this one in a permanent collection so that we don't have to stress about finding it and getting it before it's gone.

So let's take a closer look at Open Mica Night, which I purchased at CVS a few weeks ago:

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Overcoat in 640 Open Mica Night
(retail: $7.99, 0.5 oz)




For my swatches, I wanted to layer this one over something more fun than just a plain creme polish. So I opted for Orly Fowl Play, which is a purple jelly with tiny flakies:

 One coat of Open Mica Night over two coats of Orly Fowl Play
(one coat of clear top coat)

I had absolutely no application issues with this one. There is NO need to go fishing with your brush to pick up the glitter pieces. In fact, the only problem (if you can call it a problem) with this polish is that I sometimes have too much glitter on my brush and I have to wipe my brush down a bit on the rim of the bottle. You can brush this polish onto the nail, but I do find that dabbing is required if you're picky about glitter placement. Overall, this polish is super easy to apply as far as glitter toppers go, and the clear base is not thick or goopy. Dry time is average.

 And you know I had to mattify this one:

  One coat of Open Mica Night over two coats of Orly Fowl Play
(one coat of clear top coat followed by one coat of matte top coat)

In this pic, it looks like the holographic effect is dulled due to the matte top coat. In real life, you can still easily see the color shifts, even though my pic makes the glitter look like flat silver. 

FINAL VERDICT: If you like square glitter and you like holo glitter, this one's a no-brainer. Wait for a sale and pic this baby up. I don't think you'll be disappointed--it's super easy to apply, the base isn't thick or goopy, and it dries at a normal rate. It's a winner!

Do you own any of the new-for-2014 Sally Hansen Overcoats? If so, which ones do you own and how to do you like them?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. I bought this one too but haven't tried it yet. Interesting use, as I never thought to mattify a glitter top coat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never liked square (or bar) glitter, but the way you've applied it at least, this one looks...jaunty. That's the first word that comes to mind, jaunty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed. I like square in glitter mixes but not alone. Great to know that the formula is good though.

      Delete
    2. Will look for this. You take the most beautiful product photos. I'm addicted to your reviews!!

      Delete
  3. so shiny, but it's not as bad as I thought it would

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever done a tutorial on manicures? Your nails look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a fun one! I have an OPI (can't recall the name right now) of large round holo glitter and I actually pour some out and pick up pieces with a dotting tool and place them exactly where I want them, lines, shapes, etc. so this one seems like you could do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sick of hex glitter and would love to get this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this one too, must try it matte now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wore this over Sinful's Cinderella for NYE...sooo pretty together!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVED this one! I grabbed it the moment I saw it! (I also didn't know it was going to be added to the permanent collection.) I can't wait to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it the Mariah Carey 'I Snow You Love Me' one? (This is a big deal- I never remember nail polish names, but for some reason I remembered this one! =))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every time you post a polish and then matte it I feel like I'm on the nailpolish version of Will It Blend. "Can I matte this polish?" HECK YEAH YOU CAN

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving the square glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Has this shown up at Rite Aid? I have some polishes from this line that either need to be returned or exchanged. I was hoping to exchange... sparkly top coats are my downfall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drugstore-brand polish with square glitter? Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Open Mica Night is now in my nail polish stash, and I'm loving it.

    My fear of square glitter is gone after tonight. I'm wearing 2 coats of SinfulShine Alfresco (cornflower blue) under 2 coats of Open Mica Night. The glitter took forever to dry until I put NYC Grand Central Station. Of course my basepolish oat is Elmers Glue All. I love my nails today!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig