Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, December 9, 2013

Review: Almay Shadow Softies Eyeshadows in Moss and Smoke

I've been fascinated by the new Almay Shadow Softies since I first posted pics of the display back in the beginning of November. Well I finally picked up the two shades I wanted the most (a matte and a shimmer) and today I'd like to share my thoughts with you. There are 12 shades in this range (six "mattes" and six "metallics") and you can see what the display looks like here.

Almay Shadow Softies Eyeshadows in Moss and Smoke
(retail: around $4.49 each, 0.07 oz)




 Yay for safety seals!


So the big question: Are these whipped, mousse-type shadows? Or are they creams? Answer: NEITHER. These have the exact same type of consistency as the Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blushes. If you push your finger into them, they "bounce" back, unless you press too hard (in which case you'll leave a finger imprint on the surface). They're almost like Silly Putty, in a way. So they're definitely not powders, and they're definitely not mousses or creams. They're sort of a hybrid of a mousse and cream, with a firmer, bouncy consistency.

You can really see what I'm talking about when you look at the taupe shade (Smoke) below:


Swatches:

 over bare skin

over primer

Smoke

applied to bare skin (no primer)


The photos above were taken after two applications of the shade Smoke, applied with my fingers. As you can see, this is a sheer color and I definitely had to build for the pigmentation you see above. On the plus side, this shadow went on smoothly with no tugging or pulling. I also didn't find it dry or patchy, and it was quite easy to blend. For the record, this is NOT a true matte color. There is subtle sparkle running throughout this eyeshadow.

Moss

applied to bare skin (no primer)


Moss was a bit more pigmented than Smoke on the first pass (I applied two layers in the pics above), but as you can see, this is still quite sheer. Again, this was very easy to apply--no tugging or pulling, and the consistency is not dry, which means no patchiness. Just like with Smoky, this one was quite easy to blend using my fingertips.

What I like:

These shadows would be ideal for those who prefer a sheer wash of color. I like that I can use my fingers for application (they actually don't work well using a brush--at least they didn't for me--because the brush doesn't seem to pick up color like a fingertip can). I also like that they apply smoothly and are easy to blend. No patchiness, and the best part is that they do not crease for me even after several hours of wear. I like that I can use these as a base for powder eyeshadows--they are nice in that respect because my powder shadows adhere to them easily and, depending on the powder shadow you're using, they could help to intensify color.

What I don't like:

The color payoff isn't quite there for me when these are worn on their own--I just tend to prefer richer, more pigmented colors on my eyes. I also don't like that I can't use a brush if I so choose, because I find that, due to the texture, I just can't pick up color with a brush.  I also don't like that these shadows fad and lose vibrancy after about four hours of wear on my oily lids. Granted, they don't crease on me (which is great) but they do fade. Eyeshadow primer doesn't really help to beef up pigmentation, because once you start blending these with your fingertips, they naturally want to sheer out. Primer does help a tiny bit to prevent them from fading, but not much (for me, at least).

FINAL VERDICT: Those who like a sheer wash of color and the convenience of a product you can quickly apply with fingers might want to consider giving these a shot. On my oily lids, the color stays around for about four hours before I start to see fading, but they do NOT crease for me, even after 6-7 hours of wear. Do I love these? No. Do I hate these? No. I'm sort of indifferent, because I personally like better pigmentation, and I don't really need another "base color for powder eyeshadows." But again, I appreciate that I CAN use them successfully as a base for powder shadows, and I also appreciate how easy they are to apply and blend. To sum it up, I like them, but I don't see myself rushing out to buy more. I really appreciate that Revlon is starting to release new and interesting products under the Almay brand, and I look forward to seeing what else they have in store in the future. I think these are a nice start, but I'd like to see bolder, more pigmented eye colors from Almay down the road.

Do you own any of the new Almay Shadow Softies? What do you think of them?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.

SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I bought two of these and promptly returned them the next day because they were way too sheer for me. I also thought these were going to be cream eyeshadows based on the picture of the shadows on the display. These were a big disappointment for me! Thanks for your review! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, you are always so detailed! It's interesting that these didn't crease on you but did on me, given that I have dryer skin than you do. I love the sparkle in Smoke though, and I am still trying to figure out how to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might like these because the main reason I don't use eyeshadow is fallout and these seem like they wouldn't have that issue at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tested these in the store and was not impressed. They're lovely, but soooo so sheer. Soft and creamy in a powdery kind of way. if they were more pigmented i would have bought a few because i liked the colors. oh well. *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought these in Hot Fudge and Crème Brûlée. Crème Brûlée has more glitter than I like but I think these are great to just keep in your purse since you don't need a brush and the packaging is convenient for travel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually really like how Moss looks on you, which is good news since I bought this shade but haven't tried it yet! On weekday mornings I need super quick to use, work-friendly products and I think it will do that job perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought 4 of these when I first spotted then in Target shortly after your report of the new product. I was greatly disappointed that the colors where so sheer. Unfortunately I paid cash so they couldn't scan my card for a refund and had lost my receipt so I'm stuck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are pretty colors, but they are too sheer for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your review literally popped up in my email as I left CVS with Hot Fudge & Creme Brulee lol! I haven't tried them yet, but I didn't realize that it was a "bouncy" texture kind of shadow. The tester had been pulled off the little security cord display so I didn't get a chance to play with it.
    I'll still give it a try... I might like that they're kind of sheer for everyday wear though.
    Thanks for your honest reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shades, but the fact that they're so sheer is very off putting for me!
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to get 2 of the matte one but after your review I am not. I dont like how sheer they are and I hate when companies say a powder is matte but then you put it o. And there is some simmer to it. Thanks for the review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just reviewed these and similarly: they're a bit too sheer. I have dry eyelids so they are quite long-lasting and comfortable for me to wear.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig