Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Trend Alert: Tarashikomi Nail Art

As much as I love color when it comes to nails, I sometimes love more natural looks, and lately I've had a slight obsession with nail looks that let your natural nails show through (see my polka dot manicure here). So when this information hit my desk, I had to share it with you.

The Tarashikomi technique, which is "based on the very old tradition of Japanese water paintings" is a trend that began in Japan a few years ago and it seems to be picking up steam here in the US. Nail Quick, a popular chain of nail salons in Tokyo that just opened their first US nail salon in NYC, under the name SPANAIL by Nail Quick, offers Tarashikomi nail art to their clients, in case you're in NYC and would like to give this look a whirl.


Keep reading to see some lovely examples of Tarashikomi nail art...









What do you think of these examples of Tarashikomi nail art? Do you like it when the natural nail plays a role in the overall design? I personally am not big on jewels (they're fun for special occasions) but the soft, watercolor look to some of the designs above is beautiful.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I'm not sure how I feel about the first and second one, I really don't like the red on the third but that fourth one? Holy frijoles it's beautiful! Now I'm wishing I could wear raised things on nails. It would be *perfect* for a special occasion though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the soft, watercolor look! The jewels are pretty, but I wouldn't wear it on my fingernails because of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are sooo pretty, and I am not a fan of nail art! I especially love that the nails are such a flattering shape, it really adds to the gracefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I never knew this existed! Personally, the color I'm always using (Essie's Sugar Daddy) reminds me of this. I normally use it because its not noticeable and its a pale almost natural looking color. The jewels seem a bit uncomfortable for everyday stuff. I wouldn't want to wear them in fear of it coming off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so pretty. They make me want to hunt down some pretty pink and nude jellies. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a trend I want to try! It looks very nice and elegant, and very unique also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the last pic, it looks like a modern bridal mani...complete w/ the "something blue" on the ring fingers. Maybe its just my phone screen, but those ring finger nails look to be a very pale blue tint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can do this at home. Getting NYC? Can't do. Why is everything in NY???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it me or are they just making jellies seem brand new?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so funny! I live in Japan, and its true - this is really popular. However, I just assumed that they were done this way so that you can keep you gel manicure on longer (after all, they can easily go for over 100 dollars). That way, the base (near the cuticles) is clear and less obvious when the nail starts to grow out. It never occurred to me that this was done for any other reason!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see art like this a lot on gel nails. I guess the UV gels are especially good for keeping those jewels on. Although I would think you could use individual glitters instead of jewels. I don't care for the oval nails though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the one that is natural with just bits of red and a little line...I wish I had an idea how to do that without it looking like a train wreck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like these would be good for bridal looks, but they seem kinda high-maintenance for every day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty. I don't like the jewels either, but most of these looks are great for wedding manicures. Take the jewels off and they can be a beautiful every day look.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig