Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Review: Avon Nailwear Pro+ Nail Enamel in Honeydew Dazzle

It's been a while since I purchased an Avon nail polish, but I have a long, long history with Avon nail colors, going back to the 70s when that's all my mom would wear (and I would covet her bottles with the long, pointy white caps).

A month or so ago, when Avon was having one of their free shipping promotions, I decided to pick up Honeydew Dazzle (from the Forbidden Fruits Collection) since it was on sale at the time. I think I paid $2.99 for it (regular price: $6). These polishes often go on sale, however I don't know how long the Forbidden Fruit Collection will be sticking around so if you want this shade, I wouldn't wait too long. 

 Avon Nailwear Pro+ Nail Enamel in Honeydew Dazzle from the Forbidden Fruit Collection
(retail: $6, 0.4 oz)

The brush is very cleanly cut with no ragged, jagged edges to it:


But let's get to this color! In bright light you can see some subtle shimmer in this polish, but in lower light, LOOK OUT:


I honestly cannot recall ever seeing a sage green creme with green shimmer before, can you? We've seen mint greens with green shimmer, but I honestly can't think of another sage green with green shimmer.

Actually, this shimmer is more like tiny metallic green  flakes but, on the nail, it looks like shimmer:

(three coats, no top coat)



As you can see, the green shimmer isn't an in-your-face type of sparkle--it's more subtle than that. But it's beautiful nonetheless.

But let's get to the bad things about this polish. You can see in my swatches that this polish has some leveling issues. It doesn't really self-level, so you'll need to slap on a thicker top coat to smooth things about a bit. Also, this color definitely requires three coats for good opacity. After two coats, you'll still see streaks. The third coat took a while to dry (the first two dried pretty quickly), so it's a good idea to use a thicker, quick-dry top coat like Seche Vite with this one. Other than that, I didn't find application difficult. Yes, it's streaky, but it's not unworkable by any means. I just can't stress enough that you'll need to apply a good top coat afterward to fix the leveling issues. Also, like I mentioned earlier, the brush is cut very cleanly, but it is a bit soft for my taste (I prefer a slightly firmer brush).

FINAL VERDICT: As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong), this is a very unique color that I think is worth a purchase the next time Avon runs a free shipping promotion. It would be even better if you could get this on sale (with free shipping like I did) but if you really want this color, I wouldn't wait too long because the Forbidden Fruit Collection has been around for a while and may be on its way out. Because it's a three-coater and it does have some self-leveling issues, I probably wouldn't recommend it at the full retail price of $6, unless you are a sucker for sage greens. In which case, get this one ASAP because I honestly have never seen a combo like this before. Milani Dressmaker is a mint green with green shimmer, and that's the closest shade I can think of  (and it's not even close). Also, it's not murky or olive-toned like Sinful Colors Seaweed, in case you were thinking they might be similar in color. They're not (plus Sinful Colors Seaweed doesn't contain any sparkle, of course).  

Do you own any Avon Nailwear Pro+ Nail Enamels? If so, what colors do you own and how do you like them?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I already ordered this one :)
    I have many Avon polishes (maybe around 20) and some are really great quiality, and some dry longer and need 3-4 coats. All depands on the colour I guess. Love the SpeedDry line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G, I bought them all! They are gorgeous. Actually just put "Seduce Me Strawberry" on my toes last night. That only needed two coats. Maybe since this green is sort of on the light side is why it needed three coats. You're right though, this color is so unique. I do think these are going to be hard to find because I was just looking in my current brochure and they are not in there. I've always loved Avon too, ever since my Mom used their products when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw the swatches I couldn't help but think I don't usually see things like this. I get emails just about every week for free shipping. I'm going to have to check this out. (Just when I wanted something new, you pull through for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't usually like pastels, but I for sure do not have anything remotely like this in my polish collection. The shimmer definitely makes it worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the whole collection but I agree with the one you swatched. It's also the only one I've tried. They also came out with a holographic one but its not as intense. They also have a neon collection which I also bought lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the whole collection but I agree with the one you swatched. It's also the only one I've tried. They also came out with a holographic one but its not as intense. They also have a neon collection which I also bought lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you seen Avon's new linear holos? I was thinking about ordering some, but I am waiting for a swatch or two over the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the shimmer is so lovely!

    From the bottle shot, I wasn't impressed, but your swatches changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to order this one but it was out of stock. My representative says she thinks she can get it for me eventually. Also she was really shocked that I was buying something that wasn't a dark color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ordered it but it was out of stock. My Avon lady was shocked that I wanted something that wasn't black!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought a peachy Avon polish and it is the worst polish I've ever tried. It was way too watery and didn't ever completely dry, ever. Great color, crappy formula. I steer clear of these now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too many coats :( I rec'd this last week, finally got around to applying. While it is a beautiful shade it took forever to do all the coats, I have it on now, took about 5 coats, I'll put some top coat on it but don't think I'll apply again, I'd rather try another brand in a similar shade

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig