Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Review: Blistex Simple and Sensitive Lip Moisturizer

Blistex has really been stepping up their game lately. I love their Moisture Melt (click here for my review) and recently I spotted this new formula (well, "new" as in released late last year), which contains just six ingredients and no flavor, no fragrance, color or SPF. Since many of you prefer lip balms with no fragrance, and I know many readers are sensitive to certain flavors and/or SPF in lip balms, I really wanted to pick this up and give it a shot. My local grocery store had it at an "introductory price" of $0.99, so I couldn't say no!

Also, does anyone think of those "Five" ice creams from Haagen Dazs (the ones that contained five ingredients) when they see products that boast about having just a handful ingredients? Or is that just me and my PMS redirecting my brain back to sweets once again? Ha!

 Blistex Simple and Sensitive Lip Moisturizer
(retail: around $1.50, 0.15 oz)


As you can see, this lip balm contains six ingredients: microcrystalline wax, sunflower seed oil, cocoa butter, phenoxyethanol, Vitamin E and jojoba. There are no flavors, fragrances, colors or sunscreens in this formula.




Alright, so if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you know I'm a lip balm fanatic and I love lip balms that have yummy flavors and fragrances. But I can appreciate a good lip balm that's flavor- and fragrance- free, and I'm actually quite impressed with this one. It truly has no fragrance and no flavor to speak of--it tastes, well, like nothing! No chemical flavor, not nutty flavor, no flavor. The best comparison I can give you is that it kind of tastes like plain petroleum jelly, but that's not entirely accurate because even petroleum jelly has a distinct flavor. This one doesn't.

This lip balm feels both slick and creamy on the lips. There's no tugging or pulling during application--it glides easily on the lips and when you smoosh your lips together, you'll feel slickness, but not greasiness. It's creamy and feels very pleasant. And I think that, thanks to the jojoba, this lip balm doesn't feel like it's just sitting on top of my lips--the moisture seems to sink into my lips.

My lips are dry right now with this wacky weather we're having in San Diego and this lip balm has provided some nice relief. I didn't plan this, but the other day I overdid it with the Tabasco when I was eating some vegetarian chili and some Tabasco found its way onto my dry lips. Ouch! This lip balm gave my burning lips some much-needed relief. That's the great thing about having a fragrance- and flavor-free lip balm in your arsenal--when you need to soothe irritation, it's great to have something like this to reach for. Sometimes using a flavored lip balm on irritated, cracked or stinging lips can make things worse. You know what I mean?

Wear-time is average with this one. I can get about about two or so hours of wear before I feel the need to reapply. As for wearing this as a base underneath lip color, I think that if you applied a very light, thin layer, you could get away with it. But because this formula contains cocoa butter, sunflower seed oil and jojoba, it will add a lot of slickness to your lip color (and dilute the pigmentation of your lip color in the process) if you apply too much. So use a very light hand if you're going to use it as a base.

FINAL VERDICT: This is a very nice flavor- and fragrance-free addition to the drugstore lip balm aisle. I truly cannot detect a fragrance and the flavor is practically nonexistent as well. It definitely soothes my lips when they're dry, red, cracked and irritated, and I think it's a nice balm to have on hand when you need something simple. For those who prefer a bare bones lip balm that's also free of SPF, I think you'll be happy with this formula. Just be sure not to overdo it on application if you're planning on using this as a base for your lip colors. Try to apply a thin, light layer because it's a slick formula due to the natural oils and butter.

Do you already own Blistex Simple and Sensitive Lip Moisturizer? If so, how is it working for you? If you don't already own it, do you think this might be a good fit for your lip care needs?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. I'm going to have to look for this the next time I need lip balm, which should be soon. I would really like having one that is unflavored and without SPF (I can always taste it and it makes me sick) and hydrating. This sounds like it fits the bill, and speaking of bills... it's cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I would LOVE if you'd come back and let me know how it "tastes" to you. I seriously cannot taste *anything* when I'm wearing this! :)

      Delete
  2. If I didn't already have so much lip balm lying around I'd probably pick this up. I use jojoba oil on my face and stretched ears and know how much my skin loves it, my lips would love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I hear ya on that one. Oh, and I also LOVE jojoba for my face (I reviewed the Desert Essence 100% jojoba oil a while back here on the blog). Whenever I have any irritation due to skincare products, jojoba oil applied at night seems to "reset" my skin back to normal. I also love it to remove eye makeup. Works like a charm! :)

      Delete
  3. I need this like hole in my head, but I'm going to have to try it. I like a simple, moisturizing balm, without flavors, etc. And the price is right, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge fan of this one and the complete moisture...I will use this brand or Baby Lips as a balm. That's it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always apply lip balm of some sort before I go to bed. Since this is so moisturizing and doesn't have sunscreen it sounds like it would be a perfect bedtime balm. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to pick this up for my boyfriend. He plays the trombone and is always looking for a lip balm without fragrance, flavor or sunblock. Playing brass and woodwind instruments is very drying on the lips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this and love it. I have chronic dry lips and I go through lip balms like water. I only use up the good ones though, which are hard to find. This one I WILL be using up and I've already bought another. I hope they never stop making it. I hate all their other balms as they do nothing for my lips other than irritate them and or make them drier. This one is a winner/keeper! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will try this, but can it beat the Moisture Melt? I am addicted to that currently....but this one sounds good too! :D. Thanks for your review, G!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I plan on getting more of these. My lips were hurting and my regular l.b.s were not cutting it. I highly recommend this product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I plan on getting more of these. My lips were hurting and my regular l.b.s were not cutting it. I highly recommend this product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try Somatique's Moisturizer. My doctor recommended it while I was pregnant with my fourth child, because its ingredients are safe for pregnant women. I would not put the jar down.

    It really helped fight my dry skin, and those wrinkles around my eyes. After my baby was born, my skin because extra dry and this moisturizer was able to handle it. I just wish they made a biger jar because I use so much of it. Well worth it if you have sensitive skin like me, and need something gentle yet effective. I bought at LadySoma.com

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig