Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, August 16, 2012

Spotted: the first store-brand BB cream?

NOTE: The reason I ended the title of this post with a question mark was because, to my knowledge, there has yet to be a generic/store brand BB cream in the US (I can't speak for Asia, Europe, etc.).

At the beginning of August, reader Sierra posted a comment on the You Tell Me page and said that she spotted a Rite Aid brand BB cream (thanks again for that great tip, Sierra!). Since then, I have been scouring all of the Rite Aids in my area, and I finally found it the other day! I also found some other new house brand versions of popular skincare products so be sure to keep reading for more pics...

Rite Aid Renewal BB Cream Broad Spectrum SPF15 in Light/Medium
(2.5 oz, $9.99) 

As you can see, this is Rite Aid's version of the popular Garnier BB Cream. I have only spotted one shade at my local Rite Aid stores: Light/Medium (hopefully, as with the Garnier version, there is also a Medium/Deep version on the way). The Rite Aid version retails for $9.99 (2.5 oz) while the Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector B.B. Cream (2.5 oz) retails for anywhere from $11.99 to $13.99 depending on where you purchase it. But as you know, if you're a Rite Aid shopper, you get anywhere from 10-20% off all Rite Aid brand products, depending on what level you're at in the Wellness+ program. Also, Rite Aid house brands frequently go on sale for BOGO1/2OFF and sometimes even BOGOFREE.

So there's a nice opportunity for savings here, if this version works for you. Here are some additional  pics of the box:

 Back of box

 Side of box

 Other side of box

You can view the ingredients in the Garnier version here (click the "ingredients" tab).

Also new from Rite Aid:

 Rite Aid Renewal Dark Spot Corrector ($13.99)
Compare to: Garnier Skin Renew Clinical Dark Spot Correction Moisturizer (about $16.99)

 Rite Aid Renewal Exfolating Apricot Towelettes

I didn't catch the price on these, and I'm not sure what product they can be compared to. Reading the copy on the packaging, they contain a physical exfoliator (granules), not a chemical exfoliator like AHA, etc.

Rite Aid Skin Treatment Oil (4.2 oz, $13.99)
Compare to: Bio Oil (4.2 oz, $19.99)

As of the time of this post, the first three products I have just shown you are not available on the Rite Aid online store, although the Skin Treatment Oil is available for purchase. Hopefully the other three will be available soon.

Have you tried any generic/house brand versions of popular beauty items? If so, how did they work out for you? Would you consider trying the Rite Aid BB Cream? When I catch it on sale, I'll definitely be picking it up and I'll be sure to review it.
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. How funny, I picked up the BB cream this evening at Rite Aid! I just tried a bit on my hand - the color looks pretty good but it has a fairly strong fragrance. Not terrible, but a bit perfumey that might give me a headache (most scents do) - I'll have to try and see. I saw the other items as well you mention in your post - all were on an endcap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, talk about good timing!!

      I'm sorry to hear that the fragrance was a bit too strong for you, but i'm very curious to hear how it performs for you after you wear it a few times. Could you keep us posted? Thanks so much! :)

      Delete
    2. I tried it today and have a few observations: the color is definitely more dark and orange than what I'd consider light-medium. I'm not sure what tone my skin is, but it typically falls into a light-medium to medium shade with most brands. Comparing to the Maybelline BB cream in light-medium (which is too light for me), this is a bit thicker and much darker (I'm sending you a picture - feel free to post it if you'd like). It made my skin feel a bit dry/tight and about 5 hours later I didn't notice anything left of it on my face. The SPF of 15 is too low for me to be practical. On the plus side, there is a lot of product (2.5 oz vs. 1 of Maybelline) and I think there is a $2 UP reward this week on Rite Aid suncare (this was on my receipt). The fragrance is too much for me to keep, so it's going back. I'm happy though that Rite Aid is coming out with some interesting products.

      Delete
  2. WOW. The second ingredient is Ascorbyl palmitate! That's an intense amount of Vitamin C for a bb cream! Sadly I live in Canada and will probably never get the chance to try this. Lol. WAHHHH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope this isnt' a double post.

      Sadly RA is classifying this as a sun protection produce i.e. otc drug. They gave percentages for the active's then the inactives considered not a drug nor regulated are simply listed alphabetically.

      Delete
    2. Oh snap! And here I was excited that aloe was the main ingredient! Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  3. I love BB creams but I stocked up in Korea. I do use generic skincare from amazon (e.g. hyaluronic acid). Does riteaid have a version of olay regenerist serums? I'd be interested in that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep waiting to read a review that says that an American BB cream is the same as the Korean ones, instead it seems like all they are is tinted moisturizers. It would be so weird and cool if this is the one that gets it right! lol I'm looking forward to some reviews on this anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the first ingredient is aloe vera.. just me or does this look a lot better for your skin than the product it is supposed to be cloning. Definitely interested in a review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really interesting! I haven't really tried any actual personal care products by Rite Aid Renewal but I must say I have their Powder brush and it is awesome. Poofy, dense and soft! For $7.99!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My ears pricked up at the BB cream for a second, but since CBBBGreen said it's highly fragranced, I'm out. I tried the Garnier and liked the way it looked, but the scent was way too strong for my liking -- though I persisted -- and it made me break out like I was 15 again -- not the fountain of youth I'm looking for! I'm curious about the dark spot corrector, but I'm worried that has too much scent, too, since anything Garnier makes seems to be a perfume bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY .....I have to get over to the US and try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like it's leaning towards the nourishment function than the SPF function, but I'm so intrigued because I'd never expect for any store to make its own BB cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks too good to be true! Amazing. Hopefully this is as good of a BB cream. A lot of the American-brand bbcreams make me a little sad. They don't seem to have as much skin benifits as the Asian ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to use the RA version of Aveeno's face moisturizer, and it was great. I worked there at during high school and my first year of college, so between employee perks and discounts, and the fact that you used to be able to buy just one of a BOGOFREE and get it for 50% off, it was just a few dollars. I wish they still let you do that! I don't always want two of an item, especially if I'm trying it out. I would definitely try this if I heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, it lost me at 'sheer light tint.' I hate seeing things called bb creams that are really tinted moisturizers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awesome that they made their own BB cream! But since I think I have every BB cream in the drugstore except LOreal, I think I'll pass :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i can't wait to try this, as rite aid is cruelty-free!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The ingredients look nice, but thats only because THEY'RE IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER. So you see aloe and plants oil etc earlier than you normally would. This is legal fashion in u.s....hope no more people get duped by that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow -- I didn't realize companies could list ingredients in alphabetical order for products. Just . . . wow. . .

      Delete
  16. I have tried both the Rite Aid and Walgreens imitations of Biore pore strips. The ones from Rite Aid have a very harsh and unpleasant odor and seem a little more crackly than Biore. Paper quality issues? I actually like the strips from Walgreens better than the Biore ones because the Walgreens version has a wonderful brown sugar smell and actually seemed to work better to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried this.
    I had the l'oreal bb cream in medium but it was too dark.. Before that I used Garnier in light/medium so I went to go pick that up again when I saw the RA version. It was on sale. I haven't had any issues with it and along with my Rimmel concealer and NYX powder I'm really digging the way my skin looks. I noticed the scent at first but I haven't in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just tried this out today it was on sale for $7.99 and for that price I couldn't say no. My one complaint is that for a product that claims to be light to medium it is very dark, so if you are fair skinned I would steer clear of this product. The coverage is excellent and it worked great to blur fine lines and imperfections. The consistency is really thick and a little product goes a long way. For the price it is by far the best deal for an American BB Cream. My only suggestion is that you apply your own moisturizer before applying this cream for a smoother application.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig