Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Review: Milani Limited Edition Color Play Felt-Tip Liquid Pens for Eye, Face or Body

Remember back in the beginning of July when I posted about these new LE liquid liners from Milani? If you missed my post, the Milani Color Play liners are limited edition felt-tip pens that can be used on the eye, face or body. You may have spotted these pens already at select Walgreens and Fred Meyer locations, but if not, you can also get them on the Milani website. Today I'd like to give you a closer look at them--I received all six shades for review. These pens are so fun and I have to admit this was probably the most fun I've ever had writing a review (you'll see why in a minute):

Milani Limited Edition Color Play Felt-Tip Liquid Pens for Eye, Face or Body
(retail: $6.99 each, 0.02 oz)
Pink Point, Black Line, White Line, Jaded Edge, Blue Definition, Gray Strokes 

The ingredients are not listed on the pens themselves, but I can tell you that these are made in Korea. For perspective, here's a photo of a standard felt-tip liner pen (Jordana FabuLiner) next to one of the Milani Color Play pens:


As many of you know, the Jordana FabuLiner is my favorite felt-tip liner pen (Jordana is the sister company of Milani, by the way). So what's great about these Color Play liners is that the applicators look (and feel) like miniature versions of the Jordana FabuLiner. They both have that great pliability (they're not loose and floppy, but they're also not super stiff and hard to work with). But the Color Play applicator is obviously much more fine, enabling extreme precision. You can really get the finest line possible with these Color Play liners.


I used all six shades in the above photos, and I used four of the six shades to create what's got to be the wildest eye look I've ever created for this blog:



My inspiration: a peacock

For this look, I really wanted to give you an idea of the precision that you're able to achieve with these liners. Not only was I able to use multiple colors to liner both the lower and upper lash line (I'm normally horrible at doing that), but I was also able to create the tiniest polka dots, and ALSO I could use these pens to fill in my brows (how fun for Halloween, huh?).

Let me break down each individual shade for you, in case you're on the fence about which color(s) to buy:

Black Line: awesome. Super pigmented and a true black. If you love a super-fine line when you line your eyes, this is a great choice.

Gray Strokes: this was the only pen of the six that gave me a little bit of trouble. It's more watery than the rest, but if you're an artist, makeup artist, or creatively-inclined, I think this would work very well for shading, especially since it's a bit more watery--you can easily blend this one into the other colors.

Blue Definition: WOW, this one is super-pigmented and extremely easy to work with. One stroke and you've got a beautiful, crisp blue line.

Jaded Edge: A little weaker on the pigmentation but you can build the color and it's not difficult to work with. I find that if it seems to be running low, I just need to hold the pen vertically (with the tip facing downward) for a few seconds and that brings the color back to the applicator again.

Pink Point: Sort of like the green--not as pigmented as the blue or black, but still quite easy to work with.

White Line: WOW, if you've been wanting a white liquid liner that is a true, opaque white, grab this one while you can. Just look at the dots on my eyes! This one's super pigmented and very easy to work with.

Staying power ease of removal: I can get a full day of wear with these liners when it comes to my upper lash line, but as with just about every liner on the planet, these liners fade and smear a bit on my lower lash line. But keep in mind that I've got super oily skin, and I was testing these in the middle of summer, so your mileage may vary. Also, when you use these liners, try not to wait until they dry to go back and add more color. If you do, you might run into some flaking issues. So just keep that in mind if you're doing artwork with these. These pens are water resistant, but try not to actually rub your eyes or skin if you get them wet, because they will smudge. I had no issues with removal--all six shades removed easily with my regular facial cleanser.

FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for a way to unleash your inner artist, I think you'll have a blast with these liners. You can use them a million different ways, and the quality of the applicator makes them not just fun for art, but for daily wear as well. If you love precision with your liners, I think you'll enjoy these quite a bit. The only faults I can find with these pens are that some shades are lighter on pigment than others, and if your lids are super oily like mine, they may not hold up as well on the lower lash line as they do on the upper lash line. All in all, these are really fun but can also be quite practical. That choice is yours of course, but they've definitely helped me unleash my inner artist.

The Milani Color Play Felt-Tip Pens are available now at select Walgreens and Fred Meyer locations, as well as on the Milani website.

Do you already own any Milani Color Play pens? If so, how do you use them? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Some makeup there! ;)

    These look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your look! I need that white one, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so pretty! The look you created is beautiful! And I love the way you wrote Nouveau Cheap for the swatch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i want all of it and thank goodness halloween is just 3 months from now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm digging that Milani is making bright liners just wish they were as vibrant as Lime Crime's. If you were to replace these liners would you buy these?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had fun. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg! I love your eye look! That is so incredibly cute (yet subdued and actually looks quite wearable!) I love it! I only got the blue one...why would milani make this a limiter edition? They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your eyebrows look great! Very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did these stay on on their own, or did you use an eye primer?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to get my hands on the grey one actually, I think that would would be great for a more subtle look. Great review as always :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you please give me some tips on getting that cat's eye liner?! I cannot get it right to save me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing! I so want these!!! I'm going to check at both KMart & Sears to see if we have them in stock as well (there's not a walgreen's nearby & what's a fred myers? lol). If we do, I'll give you a holler. Thanks again - it was great to see eye art that wasn't so far out of the atmosphere that I might actually try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. fun and great for halooween yes xD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks very fun! I think I may pick up a few. This looked really would have worked with your polka dot manicure G.! LOL! Randomly the grocery store that I shop at Price Chopper in Central NY now has the full line of Milani! That is so cool because otherwise I had to make a 20 minute drive to a CVS to get any of their products!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO cool G! Hoping I can try and pick these up! Thanks so much for the review :)

    -hannah

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig