Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, June 17, 2012

Review & swatches: Cosmetic Arts Professional Nail Lacquers from Ross

Cosmetic Arts Professional Nail Lacquers, made by Forsythe Cosmetic Group (makers of Color Club) are pretty much sold exclusively at Ross. I've heard they've also been spotted at a few regional drugstore chains, but for the most part you'll need to go to your local Ross to find them.

The price at Ross for these polishes is $1.99 each. The formulas are Big Three Free and these polishes are made in the USA. I've been seeing more and more Cosmetic Arts polishes at my local Ross stores lately, with large displays that can be found either in the beauty aisle, or sometimes at the checkout counter.

The thing that kind of bothers me about these polishes is that they do not have their shade names printed on the bottles. I know that, for a while, you could find the corresponding shade names on the Cosmetic Group website, but I don't think they're available there anymore (I tried to find them the other day but couldn't--if you have a magic link to these polish names, please share in the comments!).


So, as many other bloggers have done in their own blog posts, I'm going to make up names for these polishes, just for fun:

NOTE: these are made-up names and NOT official shade names

Blue shimmer: She Wore Blue Velvet
Glitter: Smoggy City Lights
Coral: We Can't-A-Lope



I named the blue shade She Wore Blue Velvet after the song, but also because, in the bottle, this shade has a gorgeous, smooth velvety look to it.

I named the glitter shaded Smoggy City Lights because it reminds me of the way that city lights can peek out through a layer of smog (living in S. California, I've seen my share of smog).

I named the coral shade We Can't-A-Lope because it's such a pretty cantaloupe shade, and I was also channeling my inner OPI with a little bit of tongue-in-cheekiness.


So let's start with "She Wore Blue Velvet" (in quotes because it's my made-up name for this shade):


Like I just mentioned, "She Wore Blue Velvet" looks like velvet in the bottle. It is so smooth and velvety and it's such a gorgeous shade of steel blue. HOWEVER, I do not have swatches of this polish for you because I could not get this polish to work for me, even after several hours of trying.

Specifically, this polish has so much shimmer to it that it leaves bold brush stokes on the nail. But as most of us know, when a polish leaves strong brush strokes on the nail, you need to be gentle with it, and often you need to lightly go back over your brush stokes to eliminate those harsh lines. HOWEVER, because this polish is thick and goopy,  it practically demands the  "three stroke technique" (paint a stripe in the middle of your nail, then one on either side and STOP).

Bit of a catch-22, eh? The finish dictates that you go over your strokes to smooth out the visible brush strokes, but you CAN'T go over your strokes because the polish is so thick and goopy.

If you DO go back over your brush strokes, this polish leaves bulges and lumps on the nail, much like if you were to paint almost-dry nails with a thin layer of polish. It just drags and wants to make your entire nail a big, bumpy mess. I had so much frustration with this polish that, if it were that time of the month, I would have surely been in tears by the end of the ordeal. PASS on this one, folks. As beautiful as it is, it's not worth the trouble.

PS: I also tried adding a few drops of polish thinner to this one, in the hopes that that would solve all of my problems. THREE applications of polish thinner later, and I STILL encountered the exact same issues. I'm afraid this one cannot be saved!


So let's move on to the two polishes that totally worked for me:


These two photos were taken indoors without flash.



These two photos were taken indoors WITH flash.


The photos above were taken after one coat of Gelous base coat, two coats of polish and one coat of Seche Vite top coat. 

First let's start with "Smoggy City Lights" (my made-up name for this shade). LOVE the vaguely-mauve base color of this scattered holo polish. Two coats yields perfect coverage and it's not too thick or goopy. This one does feel bumpy on the nail and dries to a bit of a matte finish, but I have a tip for you to eliminate bumpiness caused by glitter! I wish I could remember who gave me this tip (I must have read it on one of the hundreds of nail blogs I subscribe to) but after you apply your glitter polish, add a thick layer of ridge-filling BASE coat to your nail before you apply your top coat. This will help to fill in the bumps caused by the glitter and make the surface of your nail much smoother.

So that's what I did with "Smoggy City Lights". I applied a coat of Gelous base coat, then applied two coats of polish. After that I applied ANOTHER layer of Gelous, and finished it off with a layer of Seche Vite top coat. The result? An almost perfectly smooth nail! (There's still a tiny bit of bumpiness, but nothing like it was before the layer of Gelous).

Moving on to "We Can't-A-Lope" (my made-up name), PURE PERFECTION. This lovely canteloupe jelly creme glides on the nail with ease and practically paints itself. Consistency is perfect, and I could stop at two coats if I'm not feeling like a perfectionist when it comes to opacity. Three coats would be perfect, but I can totally get away with two (you really have to strain to see the streaks after two coats). 

Dry time on these polishes is not stellar, but of course applying a quick-dry top coat cuts the dry-time down considerably. 

As for wear, well, what I neglected to tell you at the beginning of this post was that my swatches were taken on the THIRD DAY of my manicure. Just a teeny-tiny bit of tip wear and that's it. I am seriously impressed with the wear-time on these polishes!

FINAL VERDICT: I don't want to say that you should avoid the shimmery shades from  Cosmetic Arts because "She Wore Blue Velvet" is the only shimmer I own from this brand. However, the performance of that shade really makes me hesitant to buy another shimmer from this brand. But the creme and glitter polishes I own are FANTASTIC. I am currently on day four of my manicure with zero chipping or peeling. Plus, "We Can't-A-Lope" is such a gorgeous shade for summer--I haven't been able to stop looking at my nails since the moment I put it on. Definitely worth $1.99 and I highly recommend picking up a few bottles the next time you're at Ross (just be cautious with the shimmers!).

What are some of your favorite colors from Cosmetic Arts? Do you own any shimmers? If so, did they perform better for you than the one I purchased?

PS: I just have to tell you about the other thing I bought at Ross this week. They had Cobian flip flops for $9.99! If you haven't heard of Cobian, it's an apparel brand based here in San Diego (San Marcos, to be exact) and I argue that they make THE MOST COMFORTABLE FLIP FLIPS ON THE PLANET.  I have worn nothing but Cobian flip flops for over ten years now, and I usually have to go to a local surf shop to buy them (they retail for about $25). Well, I almost cried when I spotted Cobians at Ross the other day for $9.99! Luckily they had my size, and I'm telling you, it was the score of the century for me. The ones I bought look similar to these and I love, love, love them!
SHARE:

28 comments

  1. I have one of these in a metallic green color and I like the formula. It's a shame the blue didn't work out it looks lovely in the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oioh, that's so good to know! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I just saw those yesterday at the ross in lemon grove. They look so pretty on you, however in real life, they look mediocre...:(. Maybe I shoulda picked some up....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to the Lemon Grove location in a while, so thanks for that tip! I love the Big Lots and Target in that shopping center and was so happy when they opened a Sally there a while back next to the Jamba Juice. It's like heaven for me! Lol. I'll have to stop by that Ross soon to see what shades they have!

      Delete
    2. yeah, usually I stay in the sports arena area, seeing as I live in downtown, but I had to stop by kohls, so I figured why not? The line at ross was so long though, I had a couple of things, but dropped them off and walked out. i hate waiting in those lines! Anyways, the colors didn't seem to special but I really like the glitter polish you got. :)

      Delete
  3. The made-up names are adorable!! I'll have to keep an eye out for Smoggy City Lights - it'd look really pretty when used on galaxy nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed my made up names! :)

      And I was totally thinking the same thing about that glitter polish, but when I put it on the nail, it actually turned out to be more opaque than I thought it would be, even with one coat. So if you use it for galaxy nails, you'll need to lightly dab it on, rather than apply it in full strokes. Otherwise it might completely cover up your design underneath. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  4. Hey G!
    Forsythe is notorious for recycling their polishes- sometimes there is a lot of cross over from their different brands- Color Club, Funky Fingers and Cosmetic Arts. Your bottle of She Wore Blue Velvet looks a lot like Masquerading from the Color Club Alter Ego collection- it was a really bizarre fluffy, streaky polish! It was a very weird formula, and not at all indicative of some of the great Forsythe polishes out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the info! It sounds like this might be the EXACT same polish as the CC version, based on your description!

      So good to know that other shimmers from CA aren't like this. Whew! :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah--I love the made-up names too! Smoggy City Lights looks gorgeous! I'm going to have to check that plus the rest of the collection out. =)

    Is using a ridge-filling base coat "better" than using a normal top coat (a top coat that isn't quick-dry)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      I wouldn't use JUST a ridge-filling base coat as top coat, because base coats usually lack the shininess of top coats. But applying a thick layer of base coat on top of a glitter, followed by a layer of top coat is a winning combo. It really makes bumpy glitters much smoother. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  6. I'm jealous you can get these ..I love the names u chose ...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Smoggy City Lights" looks like a China Glaze Prismatics knock-off. Based on your description, maybe Full Spectrum, but based on my swatch wheel and how the pic shows on my screen, Prism. I almost tried one of the CG on a galaxy nail last night but remembered at the last second how surprisingly opaque they are, sounds like a dupe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to try these out for a while now. They used to be available at my Ross, but not anymore. (Or maybe they brought it back? Haven't gone in awhile.) :( Cosmetic Arts also have some dupes of Color Clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe I have the 'Smoggy City Lights' and its not a dupe for any of the Prismatics, just a pinkish toned scattered holo glitter - no shift like the Prismatics. I also think I might have this blue one too, I think it might be called 'New Years Ball'. That was my best guess from looking around online after I got them. I HATE that they aren't labelled. I have only swatched the blue on a wheel and I didn't have any trouble, but I haven't tried it on my actual nails yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a bottle of that blue one a couple months ago and I actually really like it. The formula isn't the greatest, but mine isn't thick/gloopy or anything? I wonder if you just got a bad bottle? Or maybe I got lucky with a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any suggestions for ridge fillers?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been trying go get my hands on these polishes for ever!!!!!!!!!! I saw a YT video on a haul of these polished in neon shades and i was hooked. Unfortunately ever since then I have not been able to find these in any Ross stores. I even had family check to see if they were in another state. No luck :( I love the names you made up for them, they're cute and creative. My favorite color is "we CANT-a-loupe"!!!!! It is so pretty and smooth looking. maybe one day these will pop up and I'll be in heaven just like you were when you found those flip flops!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting this. I will definately head on over to Ross!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We don't have Ross in my area but these look similar to Studio M found at Meijer. I believe they are made by Forsythe also. The silver one looks like Studio M "Magic Attraction" and the peachy one looks like another Studio M polish I own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought a couple in the neon shades and you are right, they don`t apply all that great, but for $1.99, patience is key!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have about 15 CA polishes. They are actually some of my fav. I have several neons and creme's, few glitters a few shimmers (No brush strokes). They all work wonderful!!! They may get a bit thick after some use but thinner fixes that up really quick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I mentioned in my post, I added THREE applications of polish thinner to the shimmer polish and even after all of that, it was STILL goopy and impossible to work with. I couldn't believe it because just a few drops of thinner usually works wonders for me. Such a bummer! :(

      Delete
  17. Ahahaha, We Cant-a-Lope! Very clever! I was thinking about going to Ross today, I'll keep an eye out for these. I love the glitter polish.

    Just started reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. At the bottom of the polish embedded in the glass is a number and you can link that to the polish on the website and get the name :-). Even if you don't find the name you at least have the number as a reference so you can tell people what number to get if they really like a polish you listed or something. The number system isn't as great as a name, but it's something :-). For instance I have number 6, 30, and 34 :-). Hope this helped!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm I have a bottle of Cosmetic Arts in "Cream Puff" it cost $1.49. The word professional is not on the bottle ..just nail lacquer...maybe that's why it was a little cheaper..lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have cosmetic arts in "Cream Puff" but....it just says nail lacquer ..the word professional is not on the bottle...but it was $1.49.....

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig