Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, June 17, 2012

From the Kid's Aisle: Manzanilla Grisi Kids Detangling Lotion

I love thinking outside of the box when it comes to drugstore products. Why limit yourself to US products and why limit yourself to adult products? So today I've got the best of both worlds for you: a kid's product that's also found in the Latino haircare section of the drugstore! And the best part? This product retails for under $4!

A few years ago, I did a post about my favorite products from the kid's aisle of the drugstore. I still love many of the products featured in that post, and one thing I can't recommend highly enough for those of you with chronic tangles (like me), is children's detanglers. Why spend tons of dough on "adult detanglers" when kids detanglers contain essentially the same ingredients, PLUS they come in fun, yummy scents (and they're usually at least half the price of adult detanglers).

A few months ago when I was wandering the kid's/infant toiletries aisle at my local CVS, I spotted the section of Latino hair, bath and beauty products for kids. If you don't live in a border town like I do (San Diego) your local drugstores and grocery stores many not have sections devoted to Latino bath, beauty and haircare. But luckily for me, just about every grocery store and drugstore in San Diego has an amazing Latino haircare/bath/skincare aisle and sometimes even a section devoted just to Latino kid's products. And that's exactly where I found this product at my local CVS, and when I saw that it was only $3.49, it went straight into my basket.

But not to worry because, if you absolutely have to try this product, and you can't find it in your area, you can purchase it online through Amazon and other sites.

 Manzanilla Grisi Kids Detangling Lotion
(retail: $3.49 at CVS, 8.4 oz)


Among the many things I love about this product is the shape of the bottle. It fits in the hand so perfectly and it's super easy to grip. My number one complaint about the Johnson's No More Tangles Spray (which I LOVE, by the way) is that the bottle is round and it slips out of my hands like nobody's business. Combine that with the fact that my hands are usually wet (since I apply this right after the shower) and it's a pain to keep that bottle in my hands and spray it at the same time.


I also love that the second ingredient is this product is Chamomile Extract. This is not a new ingredient for haircare by any means, as it's in tons of shampoos and conditioners already on the market. But I love it nonetheless because it has a soothing effect and it makes this product smell pretty amazing (more on that later). I know that there are claims that chamomile can have a soft lightening effect on the hair (it actually says "Lightens Naturally" right on the front of this bottle), but I haven't noticed any lightening to my hair since using this (but for the record, I already have light brown/dark blonde hair). 


For those unfamiliar with the brand Grisi, they're a HUGE corporation that's well-known in the Latino community for their haircare and body care products. They make the popular Maja EspaƱa products that have been around for decades, and Manzanilla Grisi Kids is actually an offshoot of their popular Manzanilla adult line of haircare. All of the products in the Manzanilla Grisi Kids and Manzanilla line contain chamomile.

So now that you're up to speed on Grisi, let's talk about how this particular product works for my tangly hair:

This is a gentle detangler. If you're expecting to spray this on wet, tangled hair and then be able to comb through your hair like a hot knife through butter, think again. Ain't gonna happen. BUT, it does help to loosen up tangles and prep the hair for a good combing. I love applying it right out of the shower, and then letting it sit in my wet hair for a few minutes before I comb my hair. I find that it really helps to loosen things up and it makes the tangles much, much easier to work through.

Unlike a few other drugstore detanglers I've used in the past, this one doesn't make my hair greasy or slick-feeling when it dries. Sometimes, with other detanglers, if I apply too much, my hair just has this weird, slick coating that ultimately causes my hair to look limp and lifeless when it dries. Not so with this product! No matter how much I apply, this product never seems to build up and cause my hair to look limp when it dries. My hair always feels soft and looks a bit smoother when I use this detangler, although I do want to note that it doesn't do anything to help improve my curls. In fact, it makes my curls look softer and looser, but this happens with every detangler I've ever used. To combat looser curls, it's best to use another styling product after using this product, just to get your curls springy and defined (if you like your curls that way). If you like looser, beachy curls, then I'd recommend using this product and then just letting your hair air-dry.

In addition to using this product on wet hair, you can also use it on dry hair. I've done that a few times and I can report that it doesn't make the hair greasy when applied on dry hair. It might look greasy at first, but after you comb it through, your hair will spring back to normal. 

According the website, this product is watermelon-scented. While I do get a tiny watermelon note to this product, I mostly get chamomile, which I LOVE. It's got this sweet, calming fragrance to it with an underlying juicy, fruity note. Seriously, it smells amazing, if you're into sweet fragrances (which of course you know I am).

FINAL VERDICT: Are you ready to think outside of the box and try a kid's product on your hair? If so, then Manaznilla Grisi Kids Detangling Lotion might be just the ticket for you. I adore the scent of this product, the way it loosens up my tangles making them easier to work through, and I especially love that it doesn't leave any greasy or slick residue behind. If you can find this detangler in your area, I'd say it's worth a shot. And if you can't find it in your area and don't want to order online, try Johnson's No More Tangles (beware of the slippery bottle though), Suave Kids detangler or L'Oreal Kids detangler. The Suave and L'Oreal varieties come in yummy scents, they're super inexpensive and they work quite well to loosen up tangles on both kids and adults.

Do you use kid's detangling sprays? If so, what are some of your drugstore favorites?
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. We use the CVS Hair Detangling Spray No More Tangles knock-off. It works pretty well, but I'm using it on dry, straight, fine hair instead of wet, curly hair. It doesn't leave any ickiness, and the hair isn't washed daily and we don't see any build-up either. We were using Breck, but it really sucks and I upgraded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so right. a lot of kids gifts can be used for adults too. i actually wear little boy's sneakers. they are cheaper and work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're in the Boston area and searching for this product, I suggest taking a short train ride to East Boston. I recommend checking out the Shaw's grocery store/CVS/Walgreens in Central Square -- 15 minute walk (& even shorter bus ride) from Maverick Station. There are a lot of Central Americans living there, so I see a lot of Latino products in that area.

    Of course, you might want to just call and see if they carry it, but if you make an adventure out of it, check out some of the local Central American restaurants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great tip for those in Boston! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

      Delete
  4. Yay! I love the smell of chamomile, I will keep an eye out for this detangler.

    I wanted to share one of my own Holy Grails from the Latin kids aisle: Para Mi Bebe cologne in the blue bottle smells like the most wonderful mix of lavender, chamomile, hay, and wildflowers. It's one of my favorite scents of all time. I should decant it into a fancy spray bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, I just smelled this for the first time the other day and I totally agree!! And it's so inexpensive too! Great find. :)

      Delete
    2. I LOVE Para Mi Bebe! I've been using it for years as a foot deodorant to keep fresh when I wear flats. So far I have only used the blue one, and to my nose I get mostly an neroli/orange blossom scent. I've never tried the pink or purple varities, but recall the purple having a strong violet note. The bar soap is nice too, smells powdery. =)

      Delete
  5. I love Grisi and Maja products, they remind me of my grandmother. :) The Leche de Burro soap smells amazing and the Azufre soap helps with body acne, but it does not smell pleasant. I love living in San Diego, you can find so many foreign brands in different markets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about living in SD...we are so lucky! :)

      And I love that those brands remind you of your grandfather. :) thanks for the recs!

      Delete
  6. does it bug anyone else that the girl on the front of a hair latino product is blonde-haired and blue-eyed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. What bugs me is that this comment is so ignorant.

      There are parts in Mexico (Nuevo Leon, Mexico for example) where you find many blonde-hair/blue-eyed people with very fair skin.

      It's time to realize that even if the media shows you latinos as darker skinned people with dark hair/eyes that is not the reality.
      Don't be confined to thinking inside that box.

      Delete
    2. While I am not Latina, I can understand both sides of this conversation. I think the original poster probably wanted to express that the image on the bottle is more representative of caucasians. And I can see the opposing point of view, expressing that the Latino community is comprised of many different characteristics, including fair hair, skin and eyes.

      That said, I think what REALLY is behind this bottle is probably a lot less complicated: it's a detangler AND a gentle LIGHTENING spray. So the blonde hair was probably chosen to illustrate the lightening effect, more than anything else.

      Just my opinion.

      Delete
    3. Well said, and I fully agree! Most any beauty product containing chamomile features someone with blonde hair, and it is most likely as you said because of the natural lightening abilities that the plant has. As far as the racial politics...we are all related people! ;)

      Delete
    4. Actually, in michocan, Jalisco and Sinaloa and Baja California Sur -where Im from- theres plenty of tall, freckly, red haired, blonde and light eyes population, Im always being mistaken by middle eastern for being pala and I dye my hair black. Last names like Davis, Taylor, Cunningham, Von Borstel, and many others are pretty common. And i remember the Adults manzanilla grisi ad on TV, with a blonde and blue eyed model, portraying the lightening effect of the product. I think you're right G. By the way an AWESOME grisi product that keeps dark hair shiny and dark, is called Grisi ORGANOGAL.. OMG I loved it so much

      Delete
    5. Thanks for you insights, and i'm glad you agree with my take on the bottle. :)

      And thanks so much for the rec!

      Delete
    6. I also see it from both points of view. While I agree that there are Latinas of all colors and the blonde on this package is probably there just to emphasize the highlighting properties of the spray, I do feel like portrayals of brown-skinned Latinos are few and far between, even on Spanish language television, unfortunately.

      Delete
  7. I grew up using these products/brand back in Mexico, I'm so happy to know that now are sold here in the states (TN)! Thank you so much for writting about these products!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And you are so very welcome. :)

      Delete
  8. I have very tangly, wavy hair so once you shared your experience with the hair bean, I started avidly reading all of your hair reviews, G. I currently have the Personal Care Baby Hair Detangling Spray and the Sesame Street Detangler fron the Dollar Store I'm testing. If I still want to keep testing, I will be sure to check out Manzanilla brand Detangler as well. BTW, I've been using a Tangle Tamer from Sally's since your review and it really helps. I still can't find the Suave Coconut Dandruff shampoo, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig