Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, July 9, 2011

OPI & Zoya dupes

One of the most popular polish shades of 2010 was what I like to call Catch Me In Your Net Charla. Actually the shades are OPI Catch Me In Your Net and Zoya Charla, however, as Scrangie showed us, the two are essentially identical.

I thought it might be fun to take the three low-cost drugstore shades that come quite close to Catch Me In Your Net Charla and see how these three shades compare to each other.

Now, there may be more shades like this out there, but these are the three that I know of:


Left to right: Petites Utopia ($1.99), Wet n Wild Teal of Fortune ($2.99), Jesse's Girl Glee ($2.99)

Honestly, if you had all three of these polishes sitting on a table and you viewed them from across the room, you'd probably think they were all the exact same color. But as we know, a lot can happen when you look at things in close-up, and things can always change dramatically once you actually wear the color on your nails.

First let's start with Petites Utopia:




What I failed to capture in these pics is that the violet-purple duochrome you see above actually comes off as a kelly green at certain angles, which can almost look like gold. I hope that makes sense! Anyway, this is a very pretty shade in person, but it doesn't have the chunky gold bits of the other two polishes (and course that chunky gold glitter is a signature feature of Catch Me In Your Net Charla.)

Next we have Wet n Wild Teal of Fortune:




It was extremely difficult to capture the gold in Teal of Fortune, but I hope you can see it in the above pics. This polish leans much more blue than the Petites and Jesse's Girl polishes, and in person it reminds me of the color of very deep ocean water.



Aaah, and finally we have Glee. Based on all the photos I've seen of Catch Me In Your Net Charla, I believe that this polish is the closest to the real thing. But of course I could be wrong since I actually don't own the OPI or Zoya polishes, so that's just my opinion.  I think Glee has a lot more gold glitter in it than Teal of Fortune, and the gold is much more visible on the nail as well.

Here are some swatches:


  Can you kind of see the violet duochrome on the left side of the Utopia nail?

 Petites Utopia, Wet n Wild Teal of Fortune, Jesse's Girl Glee



 I think all three of these polishes are quite lovely in their own way. Clearly, Utopia is more has more green in it, and it lacks gold glitter. Teal of Fortune is the darkest of the three, and leans more blue. Glee has the most gold glitter and, again, I believe it's probably the closest match to Catch Me In Your Net Charla of the three.

By the way, all three of the "nails" you see above were polished with three coats, but then I added one extra coat on the Petites Utopia nail because it was a bit streaky at three coats.

Do you own any of the above polishes? What's your favorite?

The Petites and Jesse's Girl polishes were purchased with personal funds. The Wet n Wild polish was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I own 'Teal of Fortune' It's so lovely on and not too bright to not be worn all the time! Lubbs it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theres also one by Essense and Orly (: I have the Orly one lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Petites polish is a dupe for the turquoise shimmer that Loreal came out with this Summer. Stupid me got the Petites one, because ti was cheaper, but it was pretty sheer and the brush was teeny, so I returned it. I'm hoping I'll find another of the Loreal one, but I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bit of a Zoya fiend, and I actually have (and love!) Charla. I think you're right, Glee is definitely the closest of the three. Utopia pulls way too green, and Teal of Fortune is a bit too blue and deep. Glee is a decent dupe though! Not quite as gold-sparkly to my eye, but close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had teal of fortune, but when I got Charla for free I gave it to a friend. I think the Jessie girl is a dupe for Charla! Too bad I can't find that brand near me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had teal of fortune, but when I got Charla for free I gave it to a friend. I think the Jessie girl is a dupe for Charla! Too bad I can't find that brand near me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had teal of fortune, but when I got Charla for free I gave it to a friend. I think the Jessie girl is a dupe for Charla! Too bad I can't find that brand near me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love dupes thank you for this!! I think I'll pick up the WnW teal of fortune one!!

    Please check me out :) at ykhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only have WnW Teal of Fortune, which is *such* a pain-- dries slowly, requires 3 coats, and stains like crazy!-- but the color makes it worth it for me. All Lacquered Up did a nice comparison between the WnW and OPI: http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2011/06/alus-365-untrieds-wet-wild-teal-fortune.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Teal of Fortune and Glee...actually I bought a backup bottle of Glee...the camera doesn't quite catch all of its shimmery goodness. I never saw the OPI version, but I am pretty content with these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't own any of these, or the OPI, or the Zoya. *But* I do own Haley's Comet (Orly's version) and it is pretty glourious. Also that Jesse's Girl is super pretty. I wish I could find those here!

    I'm not sure if any of these are actually dupes of the OPI, Zoya, or Orly, but they're damn pretty in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd probably get Jesse's Girl...the other two probably would look strange on my skin tone. I don't have any of these types of colours but I am feeling inspired to check them out!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig