Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, December 23, 2010

Review (with video!): Barry M Instant Nail Effects

Note: before you sigh in frustration that you can't get this in the US (for those of you who don't know, Barry M is a British brand and I received this polish in a swap with Jen of A beauty junkie in London), I remember reading on the lovely Nicole's blog that OPI is going to release a version called Black Shatter for us gals in the US!  The press release says it takes "three minutes" for the crackle to take place, whereas the Barry M polish crackle effect occurs in just seconds (as you're about to see), so I'm not sure it will be an exact dupe. But something's better than nothing, right?


So let's take a look at my video before I show you some swatches of what this little bottle of magic can do! I apologize for the quality of this video but I filmed it on my Blackberry so it was the best I could do. Anyway, check it out:


I deliberately chose four different polish textures, and I tried to keep the colors light so that you could really see the contrast against the black of the Barry M polish. Isn't that just the coolest thing ever?

This is, without a doubt, the nail art for people who can't do nail art! Literally, all you have to do is paint your nails and BAM! You're done.

Here are some swatches taken immediately after I filmed the above video. As you can see, Instant Nail Effects dries to a matte finish:
 (click to enlarge to really see the detail of the crackle)

Now I'd like to show you some "finished" nails (meaning: I took my time painting these and added a layer of top coat after I was done).

 Barry M Instant Nail Effects layered over Color Club She's So Glam

It's very important for me to note here that in order to get smaller "crackles", I've found that the key is to use the thinnest layer possible, and to not overlap your brush stokes. The areas on my nails where you see larger "crackles" with large spaces inbetween crackles are where I used thicker layers of polish and I overlapped my stokes a bit. So again: if you want small "crackles", use the thinnest layer possible and don't overlap!

Here's one more look:

Barry M Instant Nail Effects layered over Wet n Wild Shield

So what do you think? Is the crackle nail effect for you? Are you thinking about trying to get your hands on a bottle of Barry M Instant Nail Effects, or are you excited to get OPI's version when it comes out? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Disclosure: Barry M Instant Nail Effects was given to me by A beauty junkie in London. Wet n Wild Shield was given to me on behalf of Wet n Wild for a previous review. Color Club She's So Glam was purchase by me with my own funds.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I remember when Cover Girl did crackle polishes for Halloween. I wish there was a permanent one in the US!

    I'm happy to finally hear your voice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelica: Oh that's right! I totally forgot about those! And thanks for the sweet comment about hearing my voice. I've actually done some other video reviews in the past (you can click on the Video Reviews tag at the bottom of this post to see them). But since I only have the Blackberry for recording videos, I don't do them too often because the quality is so bad. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the video, G! I usually just do whatever I want to my nails without regard for age but this look does make me wonder if I'm at last too old to pull this off....and if I just try it as a pedi I can't see it well enough to enjoy it, lol. I can't think about it too long tho, bcs I'm sure the OPI crackle will sell out in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh these look so cool! china glaze is also coming out with crackle polishes so i think i'll get those =] p.s. idk if you heard but chian glaze is having a holo collection too! in the spring =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh.
    Although this is completely awesome, I don't fancy paying for shipping from the UK, sooo...I cannot wait for the China Glaze crackle collection--it's more affordable for me, and has colors other than black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will probably sound totally creepy...but you have a lovely voice!

    Awesome polish! I didn't understand the hype until now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought a couple of crackle polishes in a random beauty supply store in my local mall in Southern California...the brand is called "Mia Secret", and they were about $5 a piece. I literally sqeed to see crackle polishes right before my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this on Facebook, but your presentation sold me. This is a very cool look! Thanks G.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like it over the white and gold polishes best!
    awesome video and post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't like the whole idea of crackle polishes until I was cruising around nail blogs and this one blogger (Sorry, I forget which one!) did the black crackle over a reddish orange. It looks like the wood in my woodstove when the outside is already burnt but inside it's a glowing ember, or lava flows with the top of it cooling and black but it cracks open and you see the inside glowing bright red. Now I want to do that same mani! Now that I think of it, I think the base color was "Lava" from Hard Candy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the coolest thing i have ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the polish on the gold - looks fab! Glad you are enjoying playing with the swap bits!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig