Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, December 6, 2010

Compare and contrast: Almay Wake Up and Revlon ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup

I already blogged about the new Revlon ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup (click here for the details), which first debuted in Canada and is now hitting the US.  In case you're curious what the US display looks like, my lovely friend Carla sent me a pic recently:

image credit: Carla for Nouveau Cheap

Thanks so much for that, Carla!

And it seems that, just like dial-up mascara, what is old is new again! I went into detail about this in my other post, but the aqua powder revival is back and we've got another one coming our way:

image credit: Carla for Nouveau Cheap
New Almay Wake Up Powder Foundation with Minerals

Thanks for this great photo as well, Carla!

Now, to my eyes, the Revlon and Almay foundations look quite similar. Since I haven't spotted either display in my area yet, I can't give you my personal take on them, but I've got the next best thing for you!  My lovely reader Andrea, who lives in Canada, recently spotted these displays in her area and provided me with her impressions, as well as some additional photos.  

Here's what Andrea had to say:

Almay Wake Up is...a powder foundation with minerals and is suppose to be hydrating/cooling effect with cucumber. The display claims it provides flawless coverage.

It is almost identical in shade selection and packaging as the new Revlon Colorstay Aqua Mineral Makeup. Both displays were side-by-side except the Revlon display claims to use coconut water and provides long wearing mineral makeup.

I did purchase the Almay in 20 and the cooling effect/sensation is quite odd.  It almost feels greasy upon initial application which quickly disappears. The finish is light, and leaves a "luminous" effect. i.e. It has a slight sheen to it. There are particles of shimmer, but very fine. It is not as distinct as Revlon Photoready (which I didn't find too bad.) also as a side note, the Revlon Aqua Mineral Makeup does have a fine shimmer as well. I used a tester on my hand and while I didn't notice it in the store it became apparent at a jewelery counter where the lighting was different.

Here are some pics of the Almay Wake Up foundation :

image credit: Andrea for Nouveau Cheap

And now I'd like to show you how they compare, side-by-side. Andrea actually purchased both foundations, and was kind enough to snap some pics of them together for us (thanks so much, Andrea!):

image credit: Andrea for Nouveau Cheap

Based on everything I've shown you in this post, let's do a little compare/contrast:
  • Packaging: nearly identical aside from lid color
  • Size: both products contain 0.35 oz of product
  • SPF: both are SPF13
  • Brush: Revlon brush looks fuller/more dense
  • Finish: according to Andrea, both contain fine shimmer/sheen
  • "Fancy" natural ingredient: coconut water for Revlon, cucumber for Almay
Of course I can't comment on application, performance or coverage since I don't own either one, but hopefully you found this helpful (especially if you're interested in aqua powders).

So what do you think? Are you interested in trying either one of these new foundations? Do you like aqua powders in general (or the idea of them)? I'd love to hear from you!

And thanks again to Andrea and Carla for all the great pics and info!
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I've never tried an aqua powder before so the whole concept intrigues me. I'll probably end up choosing the Almay over the Revlon though because it's slightly less expensive. It's only a dollar cheaper but every little bit counts :p

    You know something?...it wasn't until just recently that I found out that Almay's owned by Revlon. I think I'm always the last to know these sorts of things. I actually won an Almay eyeliner through a magazine giveaway and when I received my prize the return address was Revlon's office in NYC. That's how I found out about the Almay-Revlon connection. LOL I'm not sure why I've ignored Almay all these years but I trust Revlon as a brand so I'm feeling a bit more confidence and interest in Almay these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in Canada and saw these in my shoppers drug mart flyer, but my nearest store did not have them in yet, I am not urgently trying to purchase these however because they are so expensive. But almay/revlon are owned by the same company so it's no surprise that they are so similar in packaging and concept. I would probably get whatever one is cheaper, unless the almay one looks crappy in person. Thanks for letting us know and thanks for the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the new Cover Girl products almost everywhere in stores here in Vancouver and the Revlon/Almay Aqua Mineral Makeup. Since Almay & Revlon are owned by the same company, I'm not surprised they're throwing out similar products. It would be neat if Almay came out with nail polish though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. picked up the almay today, both are on sale at SDM. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almay & Revlon are owned by the same parent company, so I've always thought they were pretty much the same... Except Revlon is better. They go on sale at the same time too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought REVLON COLORSTAY AQUA from TARGET, online. Have used the product for a week now, and am amazed at the coverage it gives.
    The cooling sensation of the powder is a plus point, and will be useful during summers.
    I like the overall package, as i can see the brush and it is easily accessible.
    The kabuki feels nice on the skin, and am very impressed by REVLON coming out with such a package.
    The brand perception of REVLON has gone a notch higher in my mind. I will do a repeat purchase, and recommend this product to all the gals out their.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovelyyyy.... soo cute and it has a awesome brush. I love the fact that you get a full sized brush and it fits neatly in the jar.
    I hate getting small stingy brushes that usually come in such packages, and then you have to buy another brush, carry it around...
    The cooling sensation that you get with this product is a little unexpected, but then it gives a gr8 finish.. Think I will use this a lot. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig